2008 Kia Sportage V6 - 10w30 or 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Thax
Either viscosity will be perfectly fine in your 2.7L in your area. At your mileage you should really consider getting the timing belt replaced. I always recommend to customers to replace the water pump , timing belt idler and tensioner at the same time. Spark plugs should be due soon too. Nice little suv though , ive always enjoyed the few times ive gotten to work on the V6 2nd gen Sportage's.

Thanks. I've changed the Timing belt on my Miata a few times. It's not an "Interference" engine and therefore, it's safe if a belt gives way. (which did happen)

The KIA is an "Interference" engine.

Have you personally changed-out the belt on the 2.7 engine? I was wondering how difficult it would be on this FWD vehicle. Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Out here Walmart has 5-quarts of Chevron Supreme 10W-30 for $11.77

Good oil! Been using it in my 2001 Buick for years. Wanted to go full synth in my KIA though.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Arizona - I'd go w the 10W-30.

Thanks. The manual says either 10w or 5w... but... I'm leaning toward the 10w because it hardly ever gets cold enough out here. Perhaps if I lived further north where it freezes in the winter.

KIA manual calls for: "PSF-111" or "PSF-3" for the recommended Power Steering fluid? I cannot find this fluid anywhere.

Anyone have an equivalent option?

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Originally Posted By: Thax
Either viscosity will be perfectly fine in your 2.7L in your area. At your mileage you should really consider getting the timing belt replaced. I always recommend to customers to replace the water pump , timing belt idler and tensioner at the same time. Spark plugs should be due soon too. Nice little suv though , ive always enjoyed the few times ive gotten to work on the V6 2nd gen Sportage's.

Thanks. I've changed the Timing belt on my Miata a few times. It's not an "Interference" engine and therefore, it's safe if a belt gives way. (which did happen)

The KIA is an "Interference" engine.

Have you personally changed-out the belt on the 2.7 engine? I was wondering how difficult it would be on this FWD vehicle. Thanks!

Yes I have changed a couple timing belts on the 2.7L engine. Its not a hard one to do ,fairly straightforward job. You will need to remove the serpentine belt(s) , drain coolant , support engine from the oil pan then remove the engine mounts. Remove the power steering pump , makes it easier to work. Remove harmonic dampener and timing belt covers , then get to work on the belt tensioner, belt and water pump. Bit of advice is get an old axle nut, use it as a spacer for the crank bolt when your turning the engine over for timing. There are a couple of youtube vids of guys doing this job the correct way. Watch as you go and have a good afternoon !!

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
10w-30. I’ve done oil changes on a relative’s Kia for ten years now with it, and it’s been bulletproof.

Seems to run great so far! It's approaching the 100K mark so I'm a little concerned about the Timing Belt. Other than that, it's a very solid and hefty vehicle!

Hers is just over 82K. I recently put in 5W-30 because I had a lot of it. Next time, I’ll probaly go back to 10W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back