2001 Silverado - Something loose in the oil pan...

I was changing the oil in my truck yesterday and noticed something inside the oil pan that I could see through where the drain plug goes. I got a tool to poke around in there and I think I knocked it out of the way. I tried to shine a light in there and I couldn't see it anymore. The only thing I could think of was that once upon a time it had one of those unorthodox universal drain plugs that you loosen by hand (before I owned it... it was eventually rethreaded and a drain plug was once again used some time before it was sold to me). I talked to the previous owner and he seemed to agree that it could have been a piece from that universal drain plug. With that said... I assume it's been in there for tens of thousands of miles at this point.

I guess my question is... is there any way that a small piece like that could find its way to getting where it shouldn't be? I want to pull the pan and check things out, but I that would be pretty time-consuming. I want to say the oil pickup tube is on the other side and it might not interfere with that. And it shouldn't be able to float so it shouldn't get in a critical area and cause damage. Thanks for your time!

My 2001 Silverado still has the original magnetic drain plug. If yours doesn't, that would at least be some evidence to support your theory.

It's probably nothing to worry about, though. GM engines from the '60s and '70s suffered plenty of abuse with oil pans full of nylon timing gear teeth.

Why don't you put a magnetic drain plug on it and see it it sticks? Otherwise drain the oil and keep adding oil until you can remove it with a magnet. I wouldn't think it would get up into the engine.
The magnet idea is a good idea. I didn't think that of that at first. I wonder if the drain plug was magnetic because whatever it was (metal) was stuck close to the inside.

It could be an old chunk of RTV from a previous repair, or any number of chunks from carbon deposits.

If you have an android phone or tablet you can buy this and look around. I'm not endorsing this specific one but any kind like it should work fine.

I like this idea. I will seriously consider getting a camera. I'm sure it will come in handy a lot. Thanks! It's metal. I think the engine has been pretty well-maintained over the years.

My 2001 Silverado still has the original magnetic drain plug. If yours doesn't, that would at least be some evidence to support your theory.

It's probably nothing to worry about, though. GM engines from the '60s and '70s suffered plenty of abuse with oil pans full of nylon timing gear teeth.
My truck is apparently on its 3rd drain plug... I think this is an attachment from an alternate drain plug. Like this: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...pdPXEsXE32TVPZ_SuTAaAoS_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If I had the truck from the beginning I guarantee that it would still be on its first drain plug and we wouldn't be having this fun discussion. :)

I like this idea. I will seriously consider getting a camera. I'm sure it will come in handy a lot. Thanks! It's metal. I think the engine has been pretty well-maintained over the years.
Yep, many uses beyond looking up a drain hole. Look down a spark plug hole to see pistons, plumbing, inside walls, etc.

The magnet idea is a good idea. I didn't think that of that at first. I wonder if the drain plug was magnetic because whatever it was (metal) was stuck close to the inside.
It probably is a magnetic plug however if not I would buy one and see if the debris comes out the next time you change your oil.

Back