2 x E-Core (shocker) , 20k+ Fram, P Classic - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
There may be less surface area in some filters, but some have a lot more depth to the media therefore adding dirt trapping ability, etc. Also, they claim they use better quality media, including synthetic types, to get better results. For example, look at the fuzzy media used in something like the Fram Extended Guard. On the other hand, I think in general modern engines run cleaner and cleaner, using better tolerances and better controls that eliminate the creation of many deposits, when everything is working properly. They also have very tightly sealed air cleaner boxes that let in a lot less crud. I can't believe how clean my wife's Chevy Impala keeps the oil with more than 65,000 miles on the clock. Even when I drain it at the end of an OCI it is only golden like pancake syrup, not black and cruddy like all oil was years ago. I'm not sure modern filters really have that much work to do!

I tend to think that since purolators have quality construction and high efficiency along with lots of media area that they have as much or more holding capacity as other filters.

I agree with you that most modern filters probably don't have a lot to deal with, but there are some modern engines that sludge more than others. The engines in the impala are pretty clean running.

I agree that a filter isn't as important as we make it out to be, with respect to filtration, microns, and efficiency ratings. However, what a filter must do is not let large pieces of foreign matter into your engine!! What irony should it do the exact opposite, eh?

I hope you aren't just replacing the filter with something else and calling the problem solved. There is some good reason why your Ecore did so much worse than many others. Better find it.

Originally Posted By: labman
I hope you aren't just replacing the filter with something else and calling the problem solved. There is some good reason why your Ecore did so much worse than many others. Better find it.

I did. Did you not see the pics I posted? Poor construction of the pleats are what caused this issue. Even the new filter I cut open exhibited this behavior.

I'll be cutting open the ProSelect and performing a UOA in 3k miles to prove it.

The problem was solved when he started using a different filter with quality construction like the NPS he went with.

There is some good reason why your Ecore did so much worse than many others.

Correction:

EcoreS

4 of them exhibited the same behavior. And I don't expect all ecores to behave the same. I'm sure some of them leave the plant with uniform pleats.

However, uniform pleats or not, on a standard filter like the NPS you won't have media taking up residence inside your engine.

Originally Posted By: daman

The problem was solved when he started using a different filter with quality construction like the NPS he went with.

Dream on.

Dream on.

LOL funny,there's no dreaming about it,these filter are total garbage!!! run a real filter and not have the risk of this happening!!!

yes problem solved!!!

Dream on.

smirk2.gif

Dreams can come true you know
grin2.gif

My belief that this has more to do with the filter design is as strong as ecore enthusiasts inability to see the points made in this thread
23.gif

We shall see in a couple k miles. However, I suspect we'll have new thought out excuses no matter how much data is provided.

Example, I provide a UOA that shows no coolant or moisture. Someone will say "UOAs are worthless". Or if the NPS comes out in perfect shape, someone will say "something must of changed in your engine since the ecore was run". Or if I have the engine torn down to the last part showing meticulous maintenance except some media in a oil passage, someone will say "how do we know that media is from an ecore"
lol.gif

etc... etc... etc...

I want people to run what makes them happy. Ecores made me happy until this experience. Now I see their design as a possible liability. $5 filter or 20k for a new car? Hmm.. I'll just choose a different design that minimize the risk.

Whatever the reason for this media blow out, whether it be the filter or my engine, I would be mental to continue to run ecores in it.

It is like the sludge I had 20 years ago running Quaker State. Yes, I changed back to Pennzoil and would never consider QS again. However, I also went to shorter OCI's.

If I were you, I would be putting in sleepless nights over why nobody else has has similar problems with that design.

If I were you, I would be putting in sleepless nights over why nobody else has has similar problems with that design.

I'd use ecores again if they made changes, just like they made changes to that oil you speak of. Add a simple screen around the ecore tube and/or keep those pleats tight. Problem solved.

Life is too short for sleepless nights... there's only one thing that I sacrifice sleep for... and that's private
grin2.gif

That we know of!!!

does everybody open there filters like we do?, heck no,im sure there's more of these type occurrences out there going on we just don't know about them.

Yes, there have been many, many good looking Ecore pictures posted here over the years. A bit of reality some don't welcome. Besides all the very similar designed cartridge filters. I have changed over 30 in my Ecotec and never seen a problem.

Looking forward to seeing NPS pictures eventually.

Reality is good. Show us some pics of those cartridge filters with large uneven spaces at the seam like this:

2010_03_06_OF%20049%20%28Large%29.jpg

Due to curiosity last night I opened cartridge filter boxes at WM (all Fram) and didn't find a single ONE constructed like the 4 ecores I opened up. All had even pleats and solid bonding of the media ends. I would trust a filter like that too.

Originally Posted By: webfors
There is some good reason why your Ecore did so much worse than many others.

Correction:

EcoreS

4 of them exhibited the same behavior. And I don't expect all ecores to behave the same. I'm sure some of them leave the plant with uniform pleats.

However, uniform pleats or not, on a standard filter like the NPS you won't have media taking up residence inside your engine.

If I recall correctly, wasn't there a few other ecore filter photos posted on this site a while back with holes in the media? One was off a BMW I believe.

Dream on.

LOL funny,there's no dreaming about it,these filter are total garbage!!! run a real filter and not have the risk of this happening!!!

yes problem solved!!!

+1 ... the more I see of the Ecores on this site, the more I realize they are inferior in design & construction. I wouldn't run one if it was given to me for free. Of course, everyone in America has their own right to choose whatever makes them feel good. Ecores don't make me feel good.

I don't want to totally bash ecores. I'm sure there are a lot of good people who have worked on this design and who work to manufacture this product. That being said, they need to up their game, acknowledge the potential for this to happen and make changes to address it. Not keep defending it. If you want people to buy 'American' (or in my case 'Canadian') show us that the product, and more appropriately the company, deserves the loyalty from users like me.

Sorry, OT. Hey, SuperBusa, did you stick with the PL14610 or did you find another filter that gives the 99.9% at 20 microns instead of 40?

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Sorry, OT. Hey, SuperBusa, did you stick with the PL14610 or did you find another filter that gives the 99.9% at 20 microns instead of 40?

I went with the fatter PL14459 (thanks to info on the board) instead of the PL14610 on the Altima V6. The 14459 should have a little more filter media, and is probably why it has a better Beta than the 14610. Just changed oil & filter a week ago, and the 14459 fits just fine on the engine mount. The 14459 also has much larger holes in the base plate ... another plus IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back