1998 Yamaha PW80

Went to put the new front wheel bearing in but this needed to get cleaned up first:
image001.jpg

That's better:
image002.jpg

I then installed the new bearings(forgot pics) and got the brakes and hubs put back together:
image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

Reactions: GON
If it seems like I'm just putting stuff together and working on things in a weird order its because I am. I'm waiting on a few parts that are holding up assembly.

So continuing on with the randomness, new front sprocket on:
image001.jpg

I thought I was good to mate the swingarm and frame but then as soon as I did it I remembered I'm waiting on the chain slider/swingarm protector that needs to go on first. I think that's a sign to stop for the night...
image002.jpg

Headset bearings going back together.
image001.jpg

image002.jpg

The bike had a thin washer on the top before which was bent. Ordered the OEM washer and bolt.
image003.jpg

All assembled:
image004.jpg

The races did have very minor notching and you can feel it very slightly when turning the bars. We will probably be back in here converting to tapered bearings over the winter.

There are two brackets riveted to the airbox that serve as a means to attach it to the frame. The one on the left is actually broken in two pieces and the other one has bad threads.

image001.jpg

I wellded the broken one together and welded a new nut on the other. It's not going to win any welding awards but it will work.
image002.jpg

Looks better with some paint:
image004.jpg

image001.jpg

Front brake perch
image001.jpg

The lock nut on the adjuster had to be turned with pliers so I figured it just needed to be cleaned up and lubed but the deleted themself when I tried turning it. Ordered new ones that will be in next week.

Also the slot where the lever goes was spread open causing the lever to be floppy.

image002.jpg

That was a easy fix just bending it closed until the lever fit nicely.

Then I just gave the perch a 1 min buff with the wheel:
image004.jpg

Good enough for where were going...

These PW80s are pretty under powered for a 80cc which in my case is good as it's the littles ones first bike. I'm not sure what the top speed is but it's fast enough for a newer young rider to have some thrills for sure.
Did you Daughter struggle at all with the manual shift? If I recall, the pw50 my boys had was only one gear.

How old is your Daughter? I ask as I am in the fence between a pw50 and a pw80 or equivalent for my oldest grandson turning six on October. I like the idea of a single gear for a six year old, but worry a pw50 is too small for many six year olds

New fork seals and 15W oil came in this afternoon
Did you Daughter struggle at all with the manual shift? If I recall, the pw50 my boys had was only one gear.

How old is your Daughter? I ask as I am in the fence between a pw50 and a pw80 or equivalent for my oldest grandson turning six on October.
She is 9 and didn't struggle with the manual shift at all but for the most part I just had her leave it in 2nd gear since it wasn't as snappy taking off and wasn't too fast on the top end. She's big for her age(4ft 10in) so she is almost too big for this bikes frame already but will be fine for learning.

My other girl turned 6 in June and is also just as big for her age and she's on the edge of being too small for the PW80 IMO. By next summer she should be just right so I'll be searching for a 110 or something for the 9 year old and this will be her bike.

If your grandson is a typical size for his age I would defiantly suggest the PW50.

• Helpful
It’s looking real good. Sometimes I’ll reset the crown race 90 degrees to get rid of that on center notch feeling. But you’re right: roller bearings are the ticket here.
I have to install new fork seals on the Showa forks on my Buell and I’m dreading it. Looking forward to seeing this buttoned up, it’s looking real good!

I read the entire thread. You do very nice work and are very intelligent regarding bike mechanics. It's looking great! It's good you are teaching your kids to ride early in life. My sisters never liked bikes however all my brothers were or are bikers and so is my son.

I read the entire thread. You do very nice work and are very intelligent regarding bike mechanics. It's looking great! It's good you are teaching your kids to ride early in life. My sisters never liked bikes however all my brothers were or are bikers and so is my son.
Thanks.

Yes I learned early and it's something I'm very thankful for, its fun being able to pass that on.

Not much progress, waiting on a few small parts that are holding getting the motor in, rear wheel on, etc. They should be here any day.

Me and the kids did get the front tire on. However it wouldn't spin freely so tore it apart to find out the dust seal ID was to big and it got pinched between the hub and axle spacer. Put it back together, it will work for now but I ordered a OEM replacement.

image001.jpg

It really should have a new front tire which I did order but its waiting to ship with the new handlebars that are on back order. I'll replace that torn up dust seal when I put the new tire on down the road.

I took some time to clean up all the electrical connectors (ya all 7 of them haha) and coat them with ACF50 corrosion inhibitor.
Mounted the CDI and coil.
image002.jpg

A few more parts trickling in.

New slack adjusters:
image005.jpg

New rear sprocket bolts and locking tab washers:
image004.jpg

This means I can put the rear wheel on:
image006.jpg

image008.jpg

Also in is the new bottom bracket, the motor has to go in first but we can mock it up and get some smalls things done in the mean time.
image003.jpg

Had to switch over the foot pegs, the old ones where seized in place so it was a battle.
image010.jpg

And as you can see we now have a kickstand.
image012.jpg

When I rebuild the carb I noticed the drain screw seat was eroded badly. This explains why that had the drain hose zip tied over on itself. It would not of held gas. I picked up a new one from Yamaha as it wasn't included in the carb kit.
image002.jpg

So here is how it sits for now. The dealer just contacted me saying they have more parts in but it might be a couple days until I can pick them up. I think I'm pretty much out of stuff to do for now.
image007.jpg

Things are moving along well now.

New swingarm protector, had to un-bolt the swingarm and fish this on from behind.
image001.jpg

The new engine mount dampeners are in. The bike has 6 of these and really they all could be replaced but two of them were especially bad so I replaced those two. for now.
image002.jpg

image003.jpg

The motor went in.
image005.jpg

New choke cable in and adjusted properly (The old one was very hard to move and I don't think it was allowing the choke to disengage fully, probably part of why it wasn't running good).
image006.jpg

New chain time:
image007.jpg

image009.jpg

If your a tool guy and do a lot of dirt bike work have a look at these master link clip pliers. The work very well. Made by Hozan in Japan.
image008.jpg

Picked up some chain guards.
image015.jpg

Fresh vent and drain hoses for the carb.
image010.jpg

Looking great. I have a lot of Hozan tools. Expensive, but a joy to use. I feel like you should get Yamaha stickers for the tank.

Looking great. I have a lot of Hozan tools. Expensive, but a joy to use. I feel like you should get Yamaha stickers for the tank.
I impulse bought a decal kit and I'm having second thoughts about it. I'm wishing I would have gotten a more "OEM" look.

Here is what I bought but haven't installed yet:
s-l1600.jpg

I should have a bunch of spare time sitting in front of a computer tomorrow. Maybe I'll go on the hunt for something different....

I looks like the rear brake linkage rod is bent. I believe it should be straight, so that it is a rigid link when the pedal is depressed. It looks like there is plenty of adjustment room for when it is straightened.

I looks like the rear brake linkage rod is bent. I believe it should be straight, so that it is a rigid link when the pedal is depressed. It looks like there is plenty of adjustment room for when it is straightened.
Good catch, in person it seems like the bend is contoured to fit the bike batter but I just checked a picture and its suppose to be strait. I will rectify this next time I'm working on it.

Back