1997 camry 2.2 project

IMG_1220.jpeg
IMG_1219.jpeg

Huge filter fewer oil changes ? It’s a 2.2 with 285,000 miles burns 1qt every 8-900 miles. I was thinking change the filter and just top off the oil every 5k since it’s gonna get 5 new quarts of oil by the next 5k anyway why drain it?

I was always wondering what to do with that space! :ROFLMAO:
It fits perfectly in the space. It’s also about the same distance from the exhaust as it would be in the original location. But the oil light goes out much faster like this

Topping off and changing filter, I could see that, although IMO draining still has value. Whatever isn't caught by the filter is still circulating around... though not for long. Just what I'd do.

But wouldn't it be easier to just use the original filter and spin it off/on? Now you have to reach behind that header.

I always did mine stone cold because of that exhaust manifold... no way I'd do this one on a warm engine.

Topping off and changing filter, I could see that, although IMO draining still has value. Whatever isn't caught by the filter is still circulating around... though not for long. Just what I'd do.

But wouldn't it be easier to just use the original filter and spin it off/on? Now you have to reach behind that header.

I always did mine stone cold because of that exhaust manifold... no way I'd do this one on a warm engine.
I’ve learned to change the oil with it cold. Burned a few holes in long sleeve shirts. My original plan was to point it straight down but that was as close as I could get. I used that filter because it’s the same as my ford truck. And had a few at home already

I’ve learned to change the oil with it cold. Burned a few holes in long sleeve shirts. My original plan was to point it straight down but that was as close as I could get. I used that filter because it’s the same as my ford truck. And had a few at home already
Makes sense. For a bit I had three cars taking that filter, so no big deal to have a stock. :)

I'm not even mad, that's amazing 😍
Helluva dry start if the ADBV goes bad tho

What was the motivation for this most BITOG of engine mods?
I keep an eye on the oil light and I pre filled the filter held almost exactly a quart. I do plan on changing the filter every 5k probably going to find something cheaper than the Donaldson to use regularly. My motivation is mostly the hilarity of it all 😂 I probably have the only Camry with a 6.7 power stroke oil filter on it

I'd thought of making a custom machined remote mount to increase oil capacity/service life by using those heavy duty size filters. Would likely do it to a truck someday. Probably would try it too on a fun project car. Thanks for sharing.

I'd thought of making a custom machined remote mount to increase oil capacity/service life by using those heavy duty size filters. Would likely do it to a truck someday. Probably would try it too on a fun project car. Thanks for sharing.
I had thought of that. But the filter thread adapter made the project much easier and I think less prone to leaks but time will tell on that. As a bonus the Donaldson filters 99% at 15um

I had thought of that. But the filter thread adapter made the project much easier and I think less prone to leaks but time will tell on that. As a bonus the Donaldson filters 99% at 15um
I plan on cutting the filter to take a look at 5k (290,000 mi) may try the wix next.

Next filter arrived. Seems like good quality made in USA. Only thing I don’t like is the Adbv looks like rubber to me. The rest looks high quality and for $2.50 on RA it’s pretty good

Back