'02 Camry rear hub removal

Changing a rear wheel hub on my Camry, equipped with drum brakes.
Misplaced my Toyota service manual, Chilton's says " Unbolt hub, remove."
Yeah... I knew that was suspect.
Unbolted no problem, but it is thoroughly attached to the knuckle due to rust. All videos I can find show disassembly/removal of the brakes and backing plate and driving it out from behind. Would a slide hammer work in lieu of this disassembly, or is it likely not to exert force?
I have it soaking in PB Blaster now.
I should have figured this would happen. Proof I haven't worked on cars enough lately.😒

Plenty of hub removal tools out there.

61aoiME1CeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71RQRcpCbVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71mUJYrIBBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

@eljefino yeah, I was hoping to. Trying to go for the least amount of disassembly.
Been beating the hell out of it for awhile with a 3 lb hammer. Love the Clarkson picture.
I have a MAPP gas torch, which has crossed my mind as well.
That hub removal tool looks promising.
If I could find one locally that would be great, but I may have to be patient and order one.

Changing a rear wheel hub on my Camry, equipped with drum brakes.
Misplaced my Toyota service manual, Chilton's says " Unbolt hub, remove."
Yeah... I knew that was suspect.
Unbolted no problem, but it is thoroughly attached to the knuckle due to rust. All videos I can find show disassembly/removal of the brakes and backing plate and driving it out from behind. Would a slide hammer work in lieu of this disassembly, or is it likely not to exert force?
I have it soaking in PB Blaster now.
I should have figured this would happen. Proof I haven't worked on cars enough lately.😒
Yeah it will but the entire backing plate and drum brake assembly will probably come off, from there you will have to chisel the hub off from the backing plate. Have fun and get your swear words ready. Last time I did one it took me 3 hours. Just be glad it's not a Subaru or Ford explorer.

Yeah it will but the entire backing plate and drum brake assembly will probably come off, from there you will have to chisel the hub off from the backing plate. Have fun and get your swear words ready. Last time I did one it took me 3 hours. Just be glad it's not a Subaru or Ford explorer.
How do you handle billing in such a situation? Or did you have the good foresight to quote the job high?

How do you handle billing in such a situation? Or did you have the good foresight to quote the job high?
I didn't quote it high actually I think the Mitchell book time was about 2 hours or maybe over a hair.

Some cars where it's obvious I'm going to have a hard time I definitely will tell the service advisor to quote it higher or refuse the job if they won't.

Got it all apart, cleaned up and ready to back together. The hub removal tool was key here. Four whacks with a sledgehammer and it popped right apart. The hub remained attached to the backing plate as mentioned above, but I soaked it in penetrant, found a way to support them and drove the two apart. Easter family plans was the only thing that prevents me finishing. All in all, something that didn't cause me too much frustration.

Got it all apart, cleaned up and ready to back together. The hub removal tool was key here. Four whacks with a sledgehammer and it popped right apart. The hub remained attached to the backing plate as mentioned above, but I soaked it in penetrant, found a way to support them and drove the two apart. Easter family plans was the only thing that prevents me finishing. All in all, something that didn't cause me too much frustration.
Good job! Thanks for letting us know.

Back