18.000 miles no oil change in a '96 Renault and I opened the valve cover

I thought in Europe, most oil change intervals are substantially longer than people believe need done here in N America ? Plus, don't diesels also go longer on oil changes ? A quick Google search suggests this 18k mile interval is nothing to be concerned about.
Yes, in europe most oíl change intervals are longer for modern cars with fully synthetic long life oíl.
this car runs 10w40 (conventional oil) which interval is scheduled every 10.000 km , so 28.000 km is way more than it's suppose to handle.

Last edited:
My gf owns this '96 Renault Megane Diesel (no turbo, 60 HP naturally aspirated).

The last OC was performed before the pandemic (more than 4 years ago and 18.000 miles).

She's been warned multiple times of the importance of OCI's (well, her bf is a BITOGer lol) (edit - MOD)

The car was leaking profusely through the valve cover gasket, so a couple of weeks ago I decided to replace it. Here is what I found:

Whats-App-Image-2024-04-01-at-12-39-33-AM-1.jpg

What do you guys think about it? It's the dirtiest engine I've ever seen in my life no doubt, but bearing in mind the fact it's a diesel engine I must confess that I expected something worse. But yeah, sludge is starting to develop in some parts of the camshaft and baked oil all over the place too.

Also, the car has emptied the oil jar I bought many years ago to top it off, so I'm gonna start to top it off with wasted oil I collect when I change the oil of my beemer... will this old Renault withstand it and if so, for how long? We'll see

NOW SOME PICS OF THE CAR:

Whats-App-Image-2024-02-07-at-16-58-36.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2024-02-07-at-16-58-36-1.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2024-02-16-at-10-54-10.jpg
It looks ok to me.

My first thought was "That's a tiny little valve cover."

From what I can see, it doesn't look bad at all. Now that you've changed the gasket, change the oil and filter.

It seems like the engine could benefit from a fresh oil change, and then keep it on schedule. What is the reasoning for wanting to use used motor oil for makeup oil? Is it because your girlfriend is so cheap that she won't buy oil for an oil change, let alone makeup oil?

If you like her enough, you may have to pay for the motor oil for her car.

It seems like the engine could benefit from a fresh oil change, and then keep it on schedule. What is the reasoning for wanting to use used motor oil for makeup oil? Is it because your girlfriend is so cheap that she won't buy oil for an oil change, let alone makeup oil?

If you like her enough, you may have to pay for the motor oil for her car.
the main reason behind the usage of wasted oil from now on is bc I don't think I have to run with any cost of a car which isn't mine. And yes, my GF is very cheap with everything related to her car (and she also has no idea of the consequences of neglecting it, I just told her a couple of times and she said I was making a big deal of it).

other reasons revolve around the idea of testing how far this POS can go running with wasted oil (probably a lot)

the main reason behind the usage of wasted oil from now on is bc I don't think I have to run with any cost of a car which isn't mine. And yes, my GF is very cheap with everything related to her car (and she also has no idea of the consequences of neglecting it, I just told her a couple of times and she said I was making a big deal of it).

other reasons revolve around the idea of testing how far this POS can go running with wasted oil (probably a lot)

You could probably pick up a filter for what… €5?

Replace the filter and change the oil with your old oil.

Going to be better than running what’s in it.

I bought a used '72 Torino once with 351W in it. Can't remember the miles but for some reason I took the valve covers off. Could not even see the rocker arms it was so sludged. Always serviced at the Ford Dealer they said, local owner they said.

I just put the valve covers back on and drove it until it rusted away.

What kind of OCIs are you running on your car? If you’re doing something like 5k oil changes, I see no problem running that oil in this little diesel. If it’s something high like 10-15k, why not just purchase very cheap oil?

Why? This engine just needs an oil change, not further abuse. Put new diesel oil in it, change it when it should be changed, and get many more miles out of the engine. Putting used oil in it is like trying to hasten the end.
Absolutely. Used oil is not a solution ever for anything.

What kind of OCIs are you running on your car? If you’re doing something like 5k oil changes, I see no problem running that oil in this little diesel. If it’s something high like 10-15k, why not just purchase very cheap oil?
I change oil on my car every 6.000 miles.

Man, a lot of bashing the OP?

Looks clean enough, and it’s dark but that’s to be expected and the diesels keep the oil dark anyway. Looks like you got in there before anything bad happened. Not sure where the relationship is and if you are up for taking on that role, but it was nice of you to do the gasket. Wise, sage advice - in many ways it best to make sure you are “equally yoked” before going in too deep!

-m

Really doesn’t look too bad. Diesels are very forgiving compared to gasoline engines when it comes to poor oil change diligence. There’s definitely some sludge and baked oil as you noted, but if you run a good 5k interval of high quality oil with a cleaning additive, it’ll be good to go.

Back