Under the valve cover 2005 Buick 3800.

That's good! I was referring to the common stuff - Plastic coolant Elbows, Intake gaskets, some other parts. Engine itself is wonderful.
Exactly. Gen I and II were notorious for blowing the intake gasket, sometimes as early as 50K mi. Unfortunately there was a fair chance of hydrolock as a result. Had to replace the gasket(s) on two and the intake manifold too on a 3rd one. All survived but mileage way too low to need that.

Not many (if any) "conventional oil" these days. Almost all are a synthetic blend using modern refinery chemistry. Most of the difference is in the additive packages.

In other words - The 3800 isn't finicky about oil or what grade. Obviously, you would want to use a decent oil, but expensive 100% synthetic is way more than this engine requires. Better off changing every 4-5k miles than try to get by with a 10k OCI. Just my $0.02cts
I'm thinking conventional can't be any cheaper then a synthetic blend. Whatever you get at Autozone that is conventional can't be less than the cheapest synth blend at Walmart (which would be either Supertech or Quaker State).

Exactly. Gen I and II were notorious for blowing the intake gasket, sometimes as early as 50K mi. Unfortunately there was a fair chance of hydrolock as a result. Had to replace the gasket(s) on two and the intake manifold too on a 3rd one. All survived but mileage way too low to need that.
Series II came out in 95, the problem was not widespread with the series I as they used traditional green antifreeze and metal gaskets. Plenty of those rotted away before the gasket need to be done.

It was combination of Dex and plastic gaskets that failed when the owners let the coolant run low in the series II. If you Hydrolocked you were pouring in cooling as fast as you used. I have owned 6 3800s. one 1997, two 1998s, one 2001, one 2004 and one 2005. I have done the gasket on one of the 1998s and on the 2005. I drove the 2001 from 6 miles until 240,000.

Series II came out in 95, the problem was not widespread with the series I as they used traditional green antifreeze and metal gaskets. Plenty of those rotted away before the gasket need to be done.

It was combination of Dex and plastic gaskets that failed when the owners let the coolant run low in the series II. If you Hydrolocked you were pouring in cooling as fast as you used. I have owned 6 3800s. one 1997, two 1998s, one 2001, one 2004 and one 2005. I have done the gasket on one of the 1998s and on the 2005. I drove the 2001 from 6 miles until 240,000.
Awesome! I have a 2001 and expect to have it for some time. (only 67k miles). I changed-out everything that needed to be done. Pretty much everything from elbows to intake (NEW ATP) and plugs, wires, gaskets etc. Runs great. Lately, it has developed a small oil leak. (Still have not figured out "where"?) It appears to be only a few drops... Any ideas outside the normal? Some have mentioned the main seal, but I don't think it that.

Outside that minor issue, I'm replacing a failed CV Axle that went bad. Just installed new struts also.

Awesome! I have a 2001 and expect to have it for some time. (only 67k miles). I changed-out everything that needed to be done. Pretty much everything from elbows to intake (NEW ATP) and plugs, wires, gaskets etc. Runs great. Lately, it has developed a small oil leak. (Still have not figured out "where"?) It appears to be only a few drops... Any ideas outside the normal? Some have mentioned the main seal, but I don't think it that.

Outside that minor issue, I'm replacing a failed CV Axle that went bad. Just installed new struts also.
Look at the oil pan. See if you can tighten the bolts. Those gaskets will seep from time to time. Valve covers too. It is 23 years old.

Look at the oil pan. See if you can tighten the bolts. Those gaskets will seep from time to time. Valve covers too. It is 23 years old.
Thanks for the tips! I'll check out the pan. (Yes, the pan area is coated with oil, maybe it??) The valve cover gaskets were replaced (by me) when I did the intake last year. I was meticulous with torque specs and time. Can't imagine they would be involved but.... one never knows.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check out the pan. (Yes, the pan area is coated with oil, maybe it??) The valve cover gaskets were replaced (by me) when I did the intake last year. I was meticulous with torque specs and time. Can't imagine they would be involved but.... one never knows.
Torque specs? I always tightened the valve covers down on these until the stop on the Metal/rubber grommet on the bolts. The intake is a different story.

Torque specs? I always tightened the valve covers down on these until the stop on the Metal/rubber grommet on the bolts. The intake is a different story.
Yeah, Chilton manual states - "Install the right valve rocker arm cover bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)." So that's what I did.

None were especially low on coolant, nor even had that many miles on them. Two series I had the LOWER intake manifold gaskets leaking, and the third Series II problem was the uninsulated EGR return tube making the plastic intake manifold hot/brittle then break.

That one did hydrolock, but was only idling and was shut down immediately which saved it. No I wasn't pouring in coolant at all, it was a sudden large leak, running fine with no evidence and then WHAM. That one only had 50K-something miles on it, '97 Lesabre.

Last edited:
I just did all this on my 1998 Firebird with the 3800; someone put a reman engine in it at some point (going to suspect intake gasket failure as well, as that's about the only way you can kill one) and whoever installed it used only RTV and no o-rings between the upper and lower intakes where coolant flows up into the throttle body which was, of course, leaking.

Went ahead and replaced upper and lower intake gaskets (lowers were practically brand new upon inspection but the same person who used RTV instead of an o-ring also cheaped out and put plastic lower intake gaskets in, so I replaced with metal while I had most of the work already done) along with valve cover gaskets, both radiator hoses and the heater hoses because they were so soft it felt like I was going to rip them pulling them off. I've almost got everything buttoned back up after working on it for an hour or two here and there over a couple weeks.

Its not the most fun in the world to have half your engine literally under the dash. I'm sure that made it take far longer than it should have!

I just did all this on my 1998 Firebird with the 3800; someone put a reman engine in it at some point (going to suspect intake gasket failure as well, as that's about the only way you can kill one) and whoever installed it used only RTV and no o-rings between the upper and lower intakes where coolant flows up into the throttle body which was, of course, leaking.

Went ahead and replaced upper and lower intake gaskets (lowers were practically brand new upon inspection but the same person who used RTV instead of an o-ring also cheaped out and put plastic lower intake gaskets in, so I replaced with metal while I had most of the work already done) along with valve cover gaskets, both radiator hoses and the heater hoses because they were so soft it felt like I was going to rip them pulling them off. I've almost got everything buttoned back up after working on it for an hour or two here and there over a couple weeks.

Its not the most fun in the world to have half your engine literally under the dash. I'm sure that made it take far longer than it should have!
I hear ya'! Yeah, everyone says it's an "easy job". Well, it's fairly easy but TIME CONSUMING! If you're like me, it's like doing surgery. I see things and take my time with labeling and cleaning. Anyone can slap together a fix.. (look at what happened to your 3800 and the Bozo that took shortcuts.)

I replaced just about anything that needed to be replaced... plus purchased new parts. (Intake etc.) Figured I'm not going to do this again! Overall, it turned out great.
But.... it took a few weekends and some days....

Back