17 Sonata 2.4L, 300+ miles on Edge 5W-40 U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: wemay
Funny you mention it Garak, one of my coworkers just traded in his 2015 M3 for one...i was smitten.
blush.gif

Tell your wife it's practical because it has four doors.
wink.gif

It would also have to be comfortable to sleep in as wemay's wife would probably ban him from even the couch...
;^)

You guys know my wife better than you know me. LOL

Take it from a guy who is happily married going on 34 years.
smile.gif
Do what is best for the FAMILY now unselfishly! The toys can come later when the situation allows for it. I was in my late forties when I bought my first new car in 22 years - my Red Sled ('12 Kia Optima SX) and became modding it. So glad I waited. That was almost six years ago. Yes, the Stinger GT2 is awesome but just think what will come down the road in only a few years time - the Stinger did. Enjoy the kiddoes while you can - they DO grow up too fast.

I may try this again and leave it in longer than i did last time, 400 miles (no, it wasn't dumped, it went into the 2.0T). Maybe i didn't give it enough time/miles. This is not a thick vs thin "protection" thing either. I'll use anything from 20 to 40, it's just a smoother quieter engine with the Edge 5W-40 although sluggish (seat of the pants) during those first few 100 miles. BTW, I've noticed no difference in smoothness when comparing xw20 to xw30.

Maybe not... just some early morning mind racing while trying to put my 6 month old back to sleep.

I just can't bring myself to run a 5w20 in these anymore. It just may be my paranoia, but I think some of the issues these engines have are attributed to running too thin oil.

wemay,

I know this is an old post. Hope you read your old Post's.

My experimental vehicle: 1993 F150 4.9L. When Ford back spec'd this truck to 5w-20 I tried it. The engine ran fine but was so noisy, that oil didn't last a month. With 245k miles I thought I would try a cheap 10w-40 (Supertech). Again, engine ran fine but in the colder weather it was so slow it could barely pull itself out into traffic. That oil was out in a month. Back to 30w oils. 5w-30 worked OK but the truck has the best power and MPG on the 10w-30 the factory originally spec'd (1960's design).

Now I run what the factory originally spec'd. See my sig. I'm using 5w-30 in the Ranger because the original design, back in the late 80's, was for 5w-30 with no changes to the rods, mains, etc. I'm using 10w-30 in the 4Runner because the book says I can use that if the ambient temp is over 0 deg f and I like the 10w-30 spec over the 5w (HTHS 3.5). Next oil change for the Ranger I'm considering 10w-30 for the same reason, HTHS 3.5.

Just my personal experience.

*Try the new Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 DEXOS 1 Gen 2 in your Sonata : It's a thinner grade 30W , more sheer resistant , low NOACK , good timing chain protection , all the same protection , cleaning , engine is quiet and peppy ... Good for a bout 5,000 miles in a non - turbo Sonata Sport or LTD GDI . - Give it a try and see what you think ?

Already bought 5w40, one oci for each vehicle. I'll keep everyone posted...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
*Try the new Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 DEXOS 1 Gen 2 in your Sonata : It's a thinner grade 30W , more sheer resistant , low NOACK , good timing chain protection , all the same protection , cleaning , engine is quiet and peppy ... Good for a bout 5,000 miles in a non - turbo Sonata Sport or LTD GDI . - Give it a try and see what you think ?

This what i settled on. Thanks
The 40s will go in the SFS.

Since bringing this back up this month (June), i didn't take into consideration that i changed my oil mid-May with this Edge 5W-20. Oddly enough, after a few weeks, this is just a quiet as the 0W-40. Not sure why or if it's even truly the case or just my mind playing tricks on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back