17 Sonata 2.4L, 300+ miles on Edge 5W-40 U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
The sluggishness may come from the fact this oil has a 3.7 HTHS? I don't know, but the performance difference is very noticeable.

To eliminate the sluggishness, trade it in on a Stinger.
wink.gif

I have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra with the smaller 2.0 in it. My owner's manual shows the exact same thing. 5w20 and 5w30 are both listed for the same temp range, but it also shows that you're able to use 10w30 and 20w50 in hotter temp ranges.

L8R,
Matt

good idea! if amazon will be charging you big time for shipping, try local HW or auto stores or Sears, Walmart, etc. you can find good deals.

btw, I see that you use 40 weight oil in your 2.0L Turbo and without knowing what the OM recommends, that's where the 40 maybe more at home. higher rev & Turbo ... The 2.4L (compared to your 2.0L T) does not rev very high and runs on the cool side ...

Sometimes it is hard to find an oil that fits all your cars if that's what you were trying to do. I have tried for MANY years and some cars just like different oil. I have a car that loves 10Wx30 Dino and rejects any synthetic and/or semi-synthetic (including chevron supreme 5wx30 I mentioned above) I think CS 5wx30 is a synthetic blend whereas CS 10Wx30 is not! we have 4 cars (2 have cassette players and I am the original owner) and unfortunately I am still buying 4 different kind of oils. The 2.4L (on PP) is my smallest engine (aka the lawn mower) I am considering PP in my 5.7L V8 Tundra (currently on Mobil 1) but I also want to be fashionable and try some European oil ... I am also researching Mobil 1 EP/AP and PP Euro version (I think I have seen them at local Walmart) ... only the best for Tundra, the rest of the cars I kind of don't care! lol

Originally Posted By: Garak
The sluggishness may come from the fact this oil has a 3.7 HTHS? I don't know, but the performance difference is very noticeable.

wink.gif

lol ... it is a nice car 176 mph on track ... I am always afraid of small turbo engines unless they are very expensive! I like v12

Originally Posted By: khittner
Let us know when it gets to 'Straylian or Kalahari hot, and your Sonata is feeling its 40w oats.

Laugh !!
If you are still wearing underwear, you are not there yet.

Originally Posted By: OilUzer

wink.gif

lol ... it is a nice car 176 mph on track ... I am always afraid of small turbo engines unless they are very expensive! I like v12

Funny you mention it Garak, one of my coworkers just traded in his 2015 M3 for one...i was smitten.
blush.gif

Haha nah, i'd rather the wife drive the bigger safer vehicle. I drive the SFS on the weekends sometimes....when aloud. Lol

That's a good family man talking there!
01.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What?! ... so the "CAFE Police" don't come pounding on your door to make an arrest when their secret oil viscosity monitoring system detected that someone poured a thicker oil into their engine?
grin2.gif

If you use Lucas...summary execution on the spot!!!
;^)

I actually do not. You're not the first person to mention it. I'm already looking for some on Amazon.

I got mine super cheap at Sears...I think they have been having good sales for a while just trying to clear stuff out of the stores before they go belly up.
Kinda sad for me cuz Sears was always a "go to" store for solid, reasonably priced merchandise when I was a kid. Actually used to buy lots of ML baseballs there because they were much cheaper than at even the big chain sports stores.

Wemay,
My last oil fill was an ILSAC GF-5 oil M1 5W30. My next oil, the one in there now, is a Euro A3/B4 Penrite 10W40.

My car is a NA 4-cylinder, port injected. I noticed no change in responsiveness with the change in oil.
Previous to the M1 5W30, I was using SynPower 0W40. Same deal, I didn't notice any change.

Not saying I disagree with you. Just there was no noticeable change for me.

However, if I step up the fuel grade to the next octane level up, I do notice that the car becomes more responsive and feels a touch more peppy. According to the original specs, I should get about a 3% increase in power stepping it up to premium fuel as my car can change it's ignition advance in response to changes in fuel quality.

You went too heavy , 5W30 is all you need for South Florida ! ... Take the other posters suggestion and sub 50% of the oil out with 0W20 ... On your 3rd oil change just use a good 5W30 synthetic for 5K OCI's and your good .
A few notes after 300 miles on this oil...

Ambient temps over the last four days is 90F.
Mixed driving with 65% city.

The good: The car idles and runs very smoothly unless under hard acceleration (see below). Normal driving is scerene.
The bad: The car is noticeably sluggish under hard acceleration. It always feels like it's in Eco mode.
Not sure: Unless it's a gross difference, i don't know if i've taken any mpg hit.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Wemay,
My last oil fill was an ILSAC GF-5 oil M1 5W30. My next oil, the one in there now, is a Euro A3/B4 Penrite 10W40.

My car is a NA 4-cylinder, port injected. I noticed no change in responsiveness with the change in oil.
Previous to the M1 5W30, I was using SynPower 0W40. Same deal, I didn't notice any change.

Not saying I disagree with you. Just there was no noticeable change for me.

However, if I step up the fuel grade to the next octane level up, I do notice that the car becomes more responsive and feels a touch more peppy. According to the original specs, I should get about a 3% increase in power stepping it up to premium fuel as my car can change it's ignition advance in response to changes in fuel quality.

I hear ya SR5
I'm not sure if maybe the 3.7 HTHS is the reason or what, but yes, definitely a difference.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Originally Posted By: turnbowm
I have a 2015 Kia Optima that uses the same 2.4L GDI engine as the Sonata and the car performs very well with PUP 5W30 in the sump. When I have any car that's under warranty, I always follow the Owner's Manual for oil specs and grade. Don't want to give the manufacturer any reason to deny a warranty claim. As always, YMMV...

I have never seen or heard of Kia requesting an oil analysis in regards to an internal engine warranty claim. All they have ever wanted from me as a tech is proof that oil and filter changes have been done at least every 7,500 miles. If you have receipts, you're covered. A pic of the receipt with odometer in the background has worked, as have records from Walmart TLE, Jippy Lube, etc. they just want to know it's been done, not caring if you put Amsoil Dominator 15W-50, Rotella 15W-40 or Harvest King SAE30 in it. Don't ask don't tell right?

I may even put Castrol 20W-50 in my 2015 Optima 2.4 next time to "see what she'll do", especially since it's a lease going back in February and I've got 4 jugs I bought at Advance for $1.30 a jug.

Just kidding. My conscience won't let me do it.

Or will it...

I'm sure that Kia wouldn't be too happy knowing that one of their techs is telling people to ignore the oil requirements in the Owner's Manual and use whatever they want.

Starting today Forumula Shell 5w30 at Home Depot is $9.88/jug. It has a nice additive package and should perk that engine right up!

That would be something if you picked up a Stinger. Not long ago you had a Corolla. What an upgrade that would be.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Starting today Forumula Shell 5w30 at Home Depot is $9.88/jug. It has a nice additive package and should perk that engine right up!

That would be something if you picked up a Stinger. Not long ago you had a Corolla. What an upgrade that would be.

Yeah....

New baby (4 months old now), wife would look at me cross-eyed if i showed up home with a Stinger, lol.

That is a great deal for a sleeper, hard to find oil.

Funny you mention it Garak, one of my coworkers just traded in his 2015 M3 for one...i was smitten.
blush.gif

Tell your wife it's practical because it has four doors.
wink.gif

blush.gif

wink.gif

It would also have to be comfortable to sleep in as wemay's wife would probably ban him from even the couch...
;^)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
blush.gif

wink.gif

It would also have to be comfortable to sleep in as wemay's wife would probably ban him from even the couch...
;^)

You guys know my wife better than you know me. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back