17 Sonata 2.4L, 300+ miles on Edge 5W-40 U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it calls for a 20wt then put that in your engine. Don't believe the 20wt oil will cause shorter engine life stuff.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: khittner
Why would someone with 8400+ BITOG posts pour 40wt. oil into a new car’s engine?

Because it is a recommended viscosity in other parts of the world with my ambient temps, along with w20 and w30. Nice try though. 8400 posts teaches you where to look for this information. No worries, you'll get there.
wink.gif

You live, you try, you learn.

I guess so, and life in FL must be more challenging and extreme (120F!?) than I've been aware. Let us know when it gets to 'Straylian or Kalahari hot, and your Sonata is feeling its 40w oats.

Wemay I'd leave it be its going to get a whole lot warmer in the next month. If its still a problem in the warmer weather change it.

But seriously I saw this at Walmart today for $15.68 I suspect the new Jug hasn't done a thing to this Dexos oil. Its currently on Rollback. This is the first time I recollect seeing SUPERTECH on Rollback.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Sorry to hear you aren't loving this oil! I noticed that M1 5W30 ESP with a high HTHS for its grade (3.58 cP??) ran hotter than M1 5W30 in my engine, but didn't notice a loss of performance.
BTW, I thought you drove the Santa Fe?

Haha nah, i'd rather the wife drive the bigger safer vehicle. I drive the SFS on the weekends sometimes....when aloud. Lol

Why would someone with 8400+ BITOG posts pour 40wt. oil into a new car’s engine?

Because it is a recommended viscosity in other parts of the world with my ambient temps, along with w20 and w30. Nice try though. 8400 posts teaches you where to look for this information. No worries, you'll get there.
wink.gif

You live, you try, you learn.

I guess so, and life in FL must be more challenging and extreme (120F!?) than I've been aware. Let us know when it gets to 'Straylian or Kalahari hot, and your Sonata is feeling its 40w oats.

Lol, touche'

Originally Posted By: MParr
wemay
I think you’ll do well using 5W30 in your 2.4. That’s what I’ve been using in mine. It gets pretty darn hot here in the summer. I like Motorcraft Synthetic Blend or Castrol GTX Magnatec Synthetic. The Kendall you cited should be pretty close to the Motorcraft.

I think that's where i'm headed. 5W30 seems like the sweet spot considering where i live. KCJeep has always posited this...just took me a few years to really pay attention to what things sound and feel like with these different viscosity...not to mention ahhhem 8400 posts.

The bad: The car is noticeably sluggish under hard acceleration. It always feels like it's in Eco mode.

As we used to say at work, "without data, you are just another manager with an opinion"

Here's your chance to combat BITOG OCD.

Run some accel traces (grab a cheap $15 OBD box and free phone app data logging) and switch to some 0W20 and repeat.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation

The bad: The car is noticeably sluggish under hard acceleration. It always feels like it's in Eco mode.

As we used to say at work, "without data, you are just another manager with an opinion"

Here's your chance to combat BITOG OCD.

Run some accel traces (grab a cheap $15 OBD box and free phone app data logging) and switch to some 0W20 and repeat.

I make no claim, in any way, my experience will mirror that of others, just my experience.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Because in countries without CAFE, such as the UK and Australia, they allow whatever you want basically.

Hehe...where is your "freedom" now? I have to listen about it in almost every topic here. How you are constantly fighting for it...but yet state determins what grade of oil you are allowed to use...what a joke
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Because in countries without CAFE, such as the UK and Australia, they allow whatever you want basically.

Hehe...where is your "freedom" now? I have to listen about it in almost every topic here. How you are constantly fighting for it...but yet state determins what grade of oil you are allowed to use...what a joke
grin.gif

I can use whatever oil I want, all grades are sold in stores.

we have a Tuscon (2.4L DI). oil cap says 5W-20, book says 5W-30 and 10W-30 can also be used and there is a temp chart ...
I had used chevron supreme (when on sale at Costco) 5W-30 in winter and 10W-30 in summer. I like the supreme and use it in couple other older cars (one of them likes the 10W-30) along with Pennzoil dino depending on what is on sale ...
got tired of changing oil at 4K-5K miles (I think the OM says 7500 miles but I assume that is for 5W-20 which is most likely synthetic)
anyways wanted to extend the OCI and I now use PP 5Wx30 d1g2 and at about 6K miles the oil looks fine to me. I do my own smell/touch/color test ... lol
so far I like PP for this car and my wife told me the car is more quiet. I was very surprised, in general she reports the problems ... I can't tell the noise difference myself but I don't drive that car.

I have decided to use PP 5Wx30 for this car in all seasons. I am pretty sure you are not towing with Sonata (2.4L is just a little bigger than a lawn mover you can't tow anything with it ... lol) and this engine doesn't run very hot either, I would stay away from 40 weight.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

grin.gif

I can use whatever oil I want, all grades are sold in stores.

What?! ... so the "CAFE Police" don't come pounding on your door to make an arrest when their secret oil viscosity monitoring system detected that someone poured a thicker oil into their engine?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What?! ... so the "CAFE Police" don't come pounding on your door to make an arrest when their secret oil viscosity monitoring system detected that someone poured a thicker oil into their engine?
grin2.gif

Arrest me now! My Jeep isn't in compliance!

I have a 2015 Kia Optima that uses the same 2.4L GDI engine as the Sonata and the car performs very well with PUP 5W30 in the sump. When I have any car that's under warranty, I always follow the Owner's Manual for oil specs and grade. Don't want to give the manufacturer any reason to deny a warranty claim. As always, YMMV...

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks OilUzer

you're welcome!

also didn't want to mention this but since you are a nice guy I will ... lol

I can't tell from your picture and am sure you are using jack stands.
just in case, it's more important than the oil weight will ever be.
I have a 12 or 16K lb ramp (can't recall) for a 3500 lbs car and still use 4 jack stands with it! a little excessive but 2 should do.

It might be stated that the 40 weight can be used but maybe it’s not optimal, and in your situation that proved itself.

Short story, my brother put his pickup truck on some supposedly heavy duty steel ramps to change the oil. While the oil was draining he went inside to warm up and when he came back out the ramps had collapsed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turnbowm
I have a 2015 Kia Optima that uses the same 2.4L GDI engine as the Sonata and the car performs very well with PUP 5W30 in the sump. When I have any car that's under warranty, I always follow the Owner's Manual for oil specs and grade. Don't want to give the manufacturer any reason to deny a warranty claim. As always, YMMV...

I have never seen or heard of Kia requesting an oil analysis in regards to an internal engine warranty claim. All they have ever wanted from me as a tech is proof that oil and filter changes have been done at least every 7,500 miles. If you have receipts, you're covered. A pic of the receipt with odometer in the background has worked, as have records from Walmart TLE, Jippy Lube, etc. they just want to know it's been done, not caring if you put Amsoil Dominator 15W-50, Rotella 15W-40 or Harvest King SAE30 in it. Don't ask don't tell right?

I may even put Castrol 20W-50 in my 2015 Optima 2.4 next time to "see what she'll do", especially since it's a lease going back in February and I've got 4 jugs I bought at Advance for $1.30 a jug.

Just kidding. My conscience won't let me do it.

Or will it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilUzer
thumbsup2.gif
Thanks OilUzer

you're welcome!

also didn't want to mention this but since you are a nice guy I will ... lol

I can't tell from your picture and am sure you are using jack stands.
just in case, it's more important than the oil weight will ever be.
I have a 12 or 16K lb ramp (can't recall) for a 3500 lbs car and still use 4 jack stands with it! a little excessive but 2 should do.
I actually do not. You're not the first person to mention it. I'm already looking for some on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back