15 amp too much draw for small compressor?

You need a 20 Amp dedicated circuit.
That seems to be pretty accurate (and at least more reliable). I have the typical 8-gallon compressor (everybody sells the same basic unit) and it trips multiple 15A breakers (I've tried different outlets on different circuits) with no luck. One thing on my to-do list is add a 20A circuit in the garage primarily for this even though my usage is pretty minimal.

It's the only thing I run a "20 weight" in. :D It's not multi-weight, and non detergent, as the Craftsman manual recommends.

Viscosity Chart - ISO 68 is a heavy 20 weight.

View attachment 56069
If you can find straight 20 grade or 20W20 anymore, the closest thing to ISO68 that's really commonly available is 10W30 ILSAC or API Resource conserving motor oil usually have a KV40 somewhere in the 65-70CSt range, Heavier Xw30 oils (ie. HDEO, ACEA A3/B4, ACEA C3. etc) tend to be closer to 80CSt at 40C.

If you can find straight 20 grade or 20W20 anymore, the closest thing to ISO68 that's really commonly available is 10W30 ILSAC or API Resource conserving motor oil usually have a KV40 somewhere in the 65-70CSt range, Heavier Xw30 oils (ie. HDEO, ACEA A3/B4, ACEA C3. etc) tend to be closer to 80CSt at 40C.
Most compressor manuals say to use a non-detergent oil ... so why not use an oil specifically formulated for air compressors? They are all pretty much non multi-viscosity and formulated correctly for air compressors.

Most compressor manuals say to use a non-detergent oil ... so why not use an oil specifically formulated for air compressors? They are all pretty much non multi-viscosity and formulated correctly for air compressors.

For me at least it came down to needing the compressor to run in a cooler climate one winter and I didn't have time to order in oil for it, so the 5W30 went in and I left it.

It's a $140 compressor, I suspect something else will break before I run into an oil issue.

I did add supplemental cooling to it though. I didn't like it baking after it shut off after being run hard.

He said the breaker that's been tripping is the built in safety on the unit, not a home breaker.
Well he didn’t exactly say that but rereading the post two times I agree that you’re correct. Still running a 15 amp device on a 15 amp circuit is not advisable if that is what he has.
You should only be using 80% of the circuit which would be 12 amps.

There are synthetic air compressor oils, from the usual suspects - Powermate, IR, Milton, even Royal Purple. That may help the situation for colder starts. I agree an upgraded circuit is also in order.

Back