100% Mechanical vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Old Mercedes diesels.
The turbo fives even offer what almost resembles acceleration.

This was one I was wondering about. R they hard to find, what years?

No. Look for Mercedes w123 and older w126 vehicles. The w124 and w201 are reasonably mechanical too...

They the ones w the 4 cylinder diesel that get 28mpg right. Kinda like them too.

I think the old Cummins 12V doesn't have any electronics except for a few wires to the starter. Dodge still offered it as late as 1998
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Old Mercedes diesels.
The turbo fives even offer what almost resembles acceleration.

The older K/KE-Jet Mercedes gassers were almost mechanical as well besides the ignition system. There was a ECM - but it didn't control spark but rather fuel via a EHA unit mounted to the fuel distributor. The ECM only got signals from the O2/ECT sensors to adjust the air/fuel ratio. Bosch K-Jetronic was an almost all mechanical fuel system with crude computer control. Even GM and Ford's TBI systems seem more sophisticated.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I think you need to look into this..not a bad idea. these vehicles should be good to go on an Electromagnetic Pulse when the aliens arrive back.

http://www.askaprepper.com/vehicles-emp-survival/

"The ideal post-EMP vehicle is a diesel pickup or SUV with a stick shift and a carbureted engine."

Or a unicorn.

Not AFAIK, affected by EMP, won't need any petrol, and it could be trained to impale other murderous rednecks that get in your way,so you can save your "defensive ammo" for offensive use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
I think you need to look into this..not a bad idea. these vehicles should be good to go on an Electromagnetic Pulse when the aliens arrive back.

"The ideal post-EMP vehicle is a diesel pickup or SUV with a stick shift and a carbureted engine."

Or a unicorn.

Not AFAIK, affected by EMP, won't need any petrol, and it could be trained to impale other murderous rednecks that get in your way,so you can save your "defensive ammo" for offensive use.

A case where an Oxford comma would make sense, eh?

"The ideal post-EMP vehicle is a diesel pickup , or SUV with a stick shift and a carbureted engine."

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Let's actually look at what he said:

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Would like to know What vehicles still out there that are all mechanical. No solenoids, no electronic anything. Seems like I am always tracking down and replacing these POS gadgets that leave U stranded. Would like a simple fuse box and nothing else! Most likely looking at something pre 1975 I am guessing. Someone told me the Cummins 12 valve would be a candidate. Anything else? How about the square bodied Chevys? How about something smaller? Any cars?

The context includes his working on cars, presumably in PA where he lives. So I get, from the context, he's looking to buy something in PA that is more simple, that he can work on.

While you may be 100% correct that all of these cars exist in the world, I tried to tailor an answer that fit the context and that he might find useful.

Yes, the world is a big place. But finding parts for a Lada, or Daihatsu, or a Citroen is probably an even harder task than getting parts for a pre-emissions controlled 1970s car, and probably doesn't match his objective.

I do admit, I'm taking that from context, so I reserve the right to be wrong.

See above.

For the US, perhaps an original Beetle? Fairly numerous, relatively robust and simple, early ones had a starting handle, and one could probably be retrofitted relatively easily since there's no radiator to get in the way.

Of course still electrical. You'd need to go to a mechanically-started diesel to avoid that, plus you can only drive in daylight, are reliant on hand signals (Some older British cars had semaphore trafficators but these were also electrical. I suppose a mechanical version would be possible but it probably wouldn't be legal).

You could probably still get stopped and ticketed for not having functional brake lights. Mechanical shutters over acetylene lamps?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton

Or a unicorn.

"The ideal post-EMP vehicle is a diesel pickup , or SUV with a stick shift and a carbureted engine."

Nope, not even in Oxford, Mass..

There's no apparent reason why a diesel pickup or a petrol SUV would be opposed alternatives. It would imply petrol pickups and diesel SUV's were somehow less suitable.

Originally Posted By: supton

Or a unicorn.

Nope, not even in Oxford, Mass..

There's no apparent reason why a diesel pickup or a petrol SUV would be opposed alternatives. It would imply petrol pickups and diesel SUV's were somehow less suitable.

I think you missed his jest. What you wrote reads as a contradiction at first scoff because it sounds like it advocating a diesel with a carburetor.

It reads like: "a diesel pickup or SUV, with a stick shift and a carbureted engine." whereas we assume you meant it to read like: "a diesel pickup, or SUV with a stick shift and carbureted engine."

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Model T...

They have a spark box. There are no gas engines w/o electrics unless you go all the way back to hot-tube ignition. And they would all resemble a buckboard. Not something you want to try to use in the modern world ...

OTOH, you could take any carbureted car/truck, so you could go up to maybe 1985 in some models, and replace the OEM ignition with a magneto. If it was a stick, you could bump start it without a battery. Very often done in race cars so there is no need to carry a battery, etc.

http://www.huntmagnetos.com/
smile.gif

I was thinking of the Model T because of their mechanical brakes, and then only for the rear. I would imagine the Model T would be the most mechanical of all the vehicles that could be found today. Or a very early steam powered car with no electrics that the burner had to be lit by a match?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I think you missed his jest. What you wrote reads as a contradiction at first scoff because it sounds like it advocating a diesel with a carburetor.

It reads like: "a diesel pickup or SUV, with a stick shift and a carbureted engine." whereas we assume you meant it to read like: "a diesel pickup, or SUV with a stick shift and carbureted engine."

wink.gif

Then you assume wrong, i.e. your assumption does not correspond with what is written. A lack of reading comprehension is likely to get messy when combined with the writing difficulty exhibited in that prepper article.

What I quoted (not "wrote") "sounds like it [is] advocating a diesel with a carburetor. " because that's what it says, and they, like unicorns, don't exist.

One can't tell if the prepper author didn't know this or just mis-wrote.

The suggested fix with the comma doesnt work either, for the reasons I gave, and others.

Last edited:

wink.gif

Then you assume wrong, i.e. your assumption does not correspond with what is written. A lack of reading comprehension is likely to get messy when combined with the writing difficulty exhibited in that prepper article.

What I quoted (not "wrote") "sounds like it [is] advocating a diesel with a carburetor. " because that's what it says, and they, like unicorns, don't exist.

The suggested fix with the comma doesnt work either, for the reasons I gave, and others.

You appear to be missing the humour in this
21.gif
We are all aware that a diesel with a carburetor doesn't exist, that's why it is funny (and yes, I should have said quoted rather than wrote, but that's not overly relevant at this juncture as I was just having a laugh and that seems to have flown right on by).

Whether the language of the individual that wrote it is sloppy or not, you can, quite handily, as was demonstrated, change the tone of it using a comma, even if it isn't perfect and makes it sound like opposing suggestions. That was the jest, and what I took as what supton was poking fun at, and got a laugh myself from it. Maybe there's a disconnect I'm unaware of here? Your responses seem "dry", do you not find the humour in this stuff?

wink.gif

You appear to be missing the humour in this
21.gif
We are all aware that a diesel with a carburetor doesn't exist, that's why it is funny (and yes, I should have said quoted rather than wrote, but that's not overly relevant at this juncture as I was just having a laugh and that seems to have flown right on by).

Whether the language of the individual that wrote it is sloppy or not, you can, quite handily, as was demonstrated, change the tone of it using a comma, even if it isn't perfect and makes it sound like opposing suggestions. That was the jest, and what I took as what supton was poking fun at, and got a laugh myself from it. Maybe there's a disconnect I'm unaware of here? Your responses seem "dry", do you not find the humour in this stuff?

I found the bit I found (and quoted) quite funny, (as in red-neck-stupid, though everyone makes mistakes) and I thought my "unicorn" response to it was a bit funny (as in slightly clever).

I found the attempt at fixing it a nice try (as in, but no coconut).

After that it got irritating (as in, now).

Last edited:
Top Gear got pretty close when they tried to destroy a Toyota Hi Lux, but to go one better than the belt driven ohc diesel, I'd pick a Nissan Navara with a TD27 - and a gear driven mechanical injector pump.

You can still run an old MB with the OM616/617 without electronics, toughest and most durable cars ever made

I like modern vehicles. I go much longer before having to change oil or do tune ups. I've gotten stranded once, but it was mechanical not electrical.

Some IH Scout models had a Nissan diesel. It was either an SD33 or SD33T and those had all mechanical injection.
The VW Vanagon had an optional mechanical injection diesel. It was more reliable than the WBX engine. However, you must replace your timing belt on schedule, or the engine is destroyed. Many vehicles went to the junkyard because their owners never knew what a timing belt was.
I think the Audi 4000 and 5000 had an optional turbodiesel engine. Audi stopped selling the diesel in the USA before they introduced a computerized engine. However, there are many unnecessary pieces of electrical equipment in an Audi, so you will probably not like it. Also, I think replacing the timing belt might be very time consuming.
The Datsun Maxima had a diesel. I find it fascinating that the Nissan LD-series diesel engine shared many components with L-series gasoline engine, but they lasted a long time. The most advanced piece of electronic equipment on those cars was a robot voice chip. Thankfully, if that stops working, it doesn't cause car problems. There is a timing chain that operates the cam and valves, and a toothed belt that operates the distributor pump. A failed belt will not cost a large amount of money, and if you replace it on schedule, it will not be a problem. In 1985 they completely redesigned the car and there was no diesel option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back