100% Mechanical vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour

Anything gasoline will have an electronic ignition to say the least, unless it was pre-1972 give or take.

The model T suggestion was good. No starter solenoid if you hand crank it.

Phooey. Mines 1986 and has points. I've got a transistor assist kit for it but havn't got around to fitting it. My soldering probably isn't very good.

My Lada had a hand crank and a vernier adjuster on the distributor for on-the-fly ignition timing adjustments for variation in octane level. Used the former sometimes but never needed the latter in the UK. In USSR or Eastern Europe it might have been useful.

Citroen 2CV haqd a hand crank, I think up to the end of production, too.

You can get wind-up spring-starters that could perhaps be retrofitted, but probably expensively

Any vehicle with an alternator has diodes in the rectifier pack though, which I'd class as electronics, and it needs some electricity to excite the field coils and make more.

Retrofitting a dynamo might give you the ability to push start when completely dead but you lose a lot of generating capacity.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Model T...

They have a spark box. There are no gas engines w/o electrics unless you go all the way back to hot-tube ignition. And they would all resemble a buckboard. Not something you want to try to use in the modern world ...

OTOH, you could take any carbureted car/truck, so you could go up to maybe 1985 in some models, and replace the OEM ignition with a magneto. If it was a stick, you could bump start it without a battery. Very often done in race cars so there is no need to carry a battery, etc.

http://www.huntmagnetos.com/
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
What vehicles have you owned like this?

The only reliable stuff I have owned was 1990+ when electronic fuel injection replaced those horrific carbs.

Horrific in what way?

Carbs got horrifically complex and mysterious toward the end with anti-pollution gizmos, but in a less-than-uber-anal regulatory environment like here (and even more so apparently in much of the US where there are no inspection requirements for older vehicles) they can be retro-simplified by taking a lot of that stuff off, technically illegal here but I get away with it.

An old SU carb (which wont be very familiar to most Americans) is elegant in its simplicity and adjustable throught its operating range.

I didn't try fiddling with the one FI system I've owned but I don't imagine it would have been easy.

I think he is shopping the US market, unless I missed something in his post.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Anything gasoline will have an electronic ignition to say the least, unless it was pre-1972 give or take.

Phooey. Mines 1986 and has points. I've got a transistor assist kit for it but havn't got around to fitting it. My soldering probably isn't very good.

My Lada had a hand crank and a vernier adjuster on the distributor for on-the-fly ignition timing adjustments for variation in octane level. Used the former sometimes but never needed the latter in the UK. In USSR or Eastern Europe it might have been useful.

You can get wind-up spring-starters that could perhaps be retrofitted, but probably expensively

Any vehicle with an alternator has diodes in the rectifier pack though, which I'd class as electronics, and it needs some electricity to excite the field coils and make more.

Retrofitting a dynamo might give you the ability to push start when completely dead but you lose a lot of generating capacity.

He says "what vehicles exist out there". The World is "out there" (and I don't mean as in the "World Series").

I took it to be a general discussion question. That said, Daihatsu imported Charades to the US in 1988, but they may have been specially specced with electronic ignition, dunno. I have seen 2CV's for sale in the US (The hero has one in "American Graffitti") but they may have been privately imported.

Lada's will be very rare, admittedly, though I think they were imported to Canada. I imagine driving a Soviet car during the Cold War would have attracted some negative attention to the driver in the US

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Old Mercedes diesels.
The turbo fives even offer what almost resembles acceleration.

This was one I was wondering about. R they hard to find, what years?

No. Look for Mercedes w123 and older w126 vehicles. The w124 and w201 are reasonably mechanical too...

It seems to me the most logical candidate for your criteria is something with a (at least optional) crank start and magneto ignition - but anything meeting those requirements will be void of any features except doors and a heater.

The most popular yet non-electronic Mercedes diesels would be those powered by the OM616/617 (4 and 5 cyl., respectively) made until 1985 or '86. They're far from simple vehicles, but are designed to be highly serviceable and the drivetrain of a 240D manual certainly lives up to the idea that "it'll keep running until you cut off the fuel or air." The 5 cyl. turbo cars (post-'81 300D/CD/TD) are powerful, just a bit more complicated especially when backed up by an automatic transmission. My '82 coupe will handily romp from 55 up to 75-80 for a passing maneuver on flat ground, and get 25-28 MPG.

But, seriously - the reliability of any vehicle old enough to have minimal electronics is completely dependent on its history and the quality of maintenance and repairs done on it. So my suggestion is find what you're comfortable and capable with - be it mechanical diesel injection and a stick shift, points ignition and a TH400, or whatever - find a good example, and use/maintain/repair/restore it like you intend to keep it forever.

In my opinion it’s hard to beat a late 80’s, early 90’s fuel injected vehicle for a good mix of reliability and simplicity. They offer many of the benefits of fuel injection (easy cold starts, adapts well to environment/altitude, high reliability,etc.) and still remained very simple to work on. Of course I’m biased - I learned to turn wrenches on early 90’s Chevy trucks and Honda’s. I was so used to working on throttle body injected engines I had no idea how to tune a carburetor. I have a deep respect for someone who can tune a carb by ear.

The mechanical equivalents of what modern electronics are less reliable. You can drive a modern car 100k-200k with simple oil and filters changes AND nothing else. Old stuff you tinker with way more often and break downs due to neglect happened easier.

My MG, other than the factory electronic ignition, radio, and alternator, isn't far off as far as being devoid of electronics. Actually had a crude electro-mechanical voltage "stabilizer" to power the fuel gauge. Speedometer is cable driven. Temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge are 100% mechanical. Signal flashers are the old style bimetal flashers. Mechanical fuel pump. Even the carburetor has a coolant line going through it instead of using an electric heater for the automatic choke.

Let's actually look at what he said:

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Would like to know What vehicles still out there that are all mechanical. No solenoids, no electronic anything. Seems like I am always tracking down and replacing these POS gadgets that leave U stranded. Would like a simple fuse box and nothing else! Most likely looking at something pre 1975 I am guessing. Someone told me the Cummins 12 valve would be a candidate. Anything else? How about the square bodied Chevys? How about something smaller? Any cars?

The context includes his working on cars, presumably in PA where he lives. So I get, from the context, he's looking to buy something in PA that is more simple, that he can work on.

While you may be 100% correct that all of these cars exist in the world, I tried to tailor an answer that fit the context and that he might find useful.

Yes, the world is a big place. But finding parts for a Lada, or Daihatsu, or a Citroen is probably an even harder task than getting parts for a pre-emissions controlled 1970s car, and probably doesn't match his objective.

I do admit, I'm taking that from context, so I reserve the right to be wrong.

He says "what vehicles exist out there". The World is "out there" (and I don't mean as in the "World Series").

I took it to be a general discussion question. That said, Daihatsu imported Charades to the US in 1988, but they may have been specially specced with electronic ignition, dunno. I have seen 2CV's for sale in the US (The hero has one in "American Graffitti") but they may have been privately imported.

Lada's will be very rare, admittedly, though I think they were imported to Canada. I imagine driving a Soviet car during the Cold War would have attracted some negative attention to the driver in the US

In my experience the electronics are the most reliable part! I've had two repairs in the last 10 years, a leaking strut and a window regulator. The part that broke on the window regulator was a piece of plastic, the electronics were fine.

People seem to be confusing what the term electronic actually means and lump everything that is electric in this category.
We have electric, electromechanical and electronic.

Your engine starter is an electromechanical component, so are solenoids etc (guess what engages the starter?). So if one doesn't want "electronics" such as solenoids, surely they should be outraged at starters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back