1/2” Torque wrench recommendation

Hey gang,

Well, my Harbor Freight 1/2” torque wrench has failed me in a large way. I overtightened a bolt recently and discovered it’s either completely broken or just way waaaaay out of calibration. I rarely use it and have only owned it for two years.

Instead of going as cheap as possible for the next one I was considering this wrench/socket set from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...h-Tire-Change-Kit-8-Piece-DWMT82839/314629459

Does anyone have this or is it considered pretty reliable? I would prefer a digital one instead of the click type, but not sure if a reliable digital torque wrench can be purchased around this price point? Also something with a head that swivels would be great too.

Thanks for the help.

Looks nice, but, are you going to only use it for torquing lugs or will it get use elsewhere? I mean, I'm not trying to advocate for the cheapest option here, not especially since it's already failed, but I just retired mine after a decade (or two). Maybe it was just a fluke? it's certainly good enough for doing the lugs on my cars, and that's all it will do going forward.

I used to have the HF calibrator 1/2" drive from HF, more pricy at $50 or so, but it was great for doing lugs. I could angle the display so I could read it. And quickly do 30-60-90 increments without ever changing any setting--just leave it on a simple readout screen. Might not be what you are after, but I liked mine (but it too died after several years, not sure why). Am tempted to get another one some day (but a clicker isn't that hard to use).

interesting... I have 3 cheap torque wrenches 2 from HF and 1 from Princess Auto in Canada. Non of them have let me down. I would go right back to the well even if they did. I just can't justify spending $150 on a tool I use like 6 times a year maybe... Also do you really need the 50-250 settings? It would likely be better to get a tool with a tighter range and then it should be more accurate.

Just my $0.02

interesting... I have 3 cheap torque wrenches 2 from HF and 1 from Princess Auto in Canada. Non of them have let me down. I would go right back to the well even if they did. I just can't justify spending $150 on a tool I use like 6 times a year maybe... Also do you really need the 50-250 settings? It would likely be better to get a tool with a tighter range and then it should be more accurate.

Just my $0.02

Seems luck of the draw with mass production low cost chinese stuff. I had a 3/8 Pittsburgh torque wrench fail after about one year too. It just completely stopped clicking anywhere in the bottom quarter of its torque range.

I’ve had a lot of perfectly adequate tools from HF, but (for myself) everything I’ve bought that involves precision measuring has been junk. For instance I last bought a caliper at HF to measure rotors. Right out of the box it was sketchy. Never the same number twice (and not even close) when measuring.

Yeah I've never attempted to verify its accuracy but I've otherwise been enjoying my Icon split beam. I like the flex head and no need to back off at night.

Ultimately it'd be nice if it were reversible (although I rarely need to torque LH fasteners) and truly I need to step into a digital for angles....but that enters a different ballpark

For car lugs and suspension parts, I just use a 150 ft-lb 1/2" deflecting beam torque wrench... gets me in the ball park and I add a little bit more. Haven't broken anything yet or had any fasteners come loose, so I guess its good enough. I have a 3/8" clicker type but it doesn't get used that much.

If you don't get your wrench calibrated, and they end of the day you don't really know. I don't - but I haven't put anything that important together in a long time.

I certainly wouldn't run to dewalt for hand tools. Harbor freight either actually, although others like them I haven't had much luck, and I am not tool snob. My suggestion would be to get another inexpensive type - I have been happy with my Tekton torque wrenches for basic stuff, or spend the money and get a twin beam from a known pro brand.

HF is guaranteed for life so just return it to the store for replacement. However if you want a "better" wrench, I second the suggestions above to get a Tekton clicker (relatively cheap) or an Icon split beam (not so cheap).

Personally, I have Tekton and Craftsman 1/2" clickers and they are probably all I will ever need for DIY stuff.

Get a CDI. They're owned by Snap-on and very high quality but they're much less expensive than their Snap-on branded torque wrenches off the truck. You can order them from Zoro.com.

I made the switch from HF torque wrenches too and I only wish I did it sooner. I switched because I too found that the HF was very off even with very little use and having never been handled rough. Their torque wrenches are junk, it's not even worth returning yours to get another one. Torque wrenches are precision instruments. Repeatability is so important, otherwise you're just rolling the dice on every fastener anyway, which defeats the purpose of even using the instrument in the first place.

Back