0w8?

Here is my particular situation:
  • The 5.7 HEMI in the RAM 1500 came without an oil cooler from the factory, so the oil temperature is around 222F~224F when cruising and ~245F when towing a moderate load, it goes even higher when driving uphill. It's not ideal to play cSt roulette with 5W-20 ILSAC oil in this configuration if you want any kind of longevity out of it
  • The 2017 Hyundai Santa FE - the 3.3L Lambda II engine doesn't really like thin oils, as it will rattle at startup if it was off for more than 10 hours. Since switching to 0W-40 the rattling went away. I guess when it was engineered they tested it with different motor oils, over 10 years ago. Plenty of people live with the startup rattle and they don't even know what it is. Fuel economy is just as abysmal no matter what oil I run in that motor or how careful I drive.
  • The 2.4L GDI motor ironically is the only one that has an oil cooler, so it would be ideal to run 0W-20 or 5W-20. Unfortunately, it has fuel dilution issues and I'm too poor to fill her up with premium. Yes, the ECU can learn do adjust based on fuel, but it's not worth the cost. The middle ground I found is to go to a 0W-40 oil so I can sleep better at night.
I agree with everything you said here. If all cars had oil coolers it would be awesome. It's actually something that most people don't really think about, and you're right, they look at motor oil in a vacuum.

Don't take this the wrong way because they can get up there in oil temp and water temp because of turbo heat so I'm not saying it's superior but a F150 Ecoboost can likely get away with with a ILSAC Spec 5W-30 with dilution and shearing because of the cooler and a Hemi can get away without it and with a lower viscosity because it's not a TGDI engine. Again I'm not saying one is superior to the other just why I think certain decisions where made.

This thread is over a year old....

A 0w-8 will have a KV100 of ~5.2 cSt and KV40 of ~24 cSt (assuming ~140 VI). If you can keep the oil temp at 170-180*F, it's probably the same or slightly more than viscous than a 0w-20 or 5w-20 would be at 210-220*F.

Don't take this the wrong way because they can get up there in oil temp and water temp because of turbo heat so I'm not saying it's superior but a F150 Ecoboost can likely get away with with a ILSAC Spec 5W-30 with dilution and shearing because of the cooler and a Hemi can get away without it and with a lower viscosity because it's not a TGDI engine. Again I'm not saying one is superior to the other just why I think certain decisions where made.

Actually RAM installed oil coolers in these trucks later on. Mine was built in 2015. If I had the model with the oil cooler I would happily run 0W-20 or 5W-20 in it as the oil temperature always stays within a few degrees of the coolant temperature. It's even nicer if you live up north because the same cooler warms up the oil. My second choice would have been Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 for this application, as it's specs 11.6 cSt@100. Either way, I think that at a bare minimum RAM should have spec-ed 5W-30 for trucks that don't have an oil cooler. However, sometimes they just couldn't care less. I'd rather play it safe than have lifter issues down the line. A 3.5EB engine doesn't have hydraulic lifters and the turbos are cooled with coolant. If I had one of those I would run either RGT 5W-30 or Castrol EDGE 0W-40 in it. Those are good engines. If I'd known back in 2016 about the lifter issues and HEMI ticks I would have probably bought something else. It is what it is, so all I can do is take care of it the best I can.

Actually RAM installed oil coolers in these trucks later on. Mine was built in 2015. If I had the model with the oil cooler I would happily run 0W-20 or 5W-20 in it as the oil temperature always stays within a few degrees of the coolant temperature. It's even nicer if you live up north because the same cooler warms up the oil. My second choice would have been Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 for this application, as it's specs 11.6 cSt@100. Either way, I think that at a bare minimum RAM should have spec-ed 5W-30 for trucks that don't have an oil cooler. However, sometimes they just couldn't care less. I'd rather play it safe than have lifter issues down the line. A 3.5EB engine doesn't have hydraulic lifters and the turbos are cooled with coolant. If I had one of those I would run either RGT 5W-30 or Castrol EDGE 0W-40 in it. Those are good engines. If I'd known back in 2016 about the lifter issues and HEMI ticks I would have probably bought something else. It is what it is, so all I can do is take care of it the best I can.

Yes, I was just pointing out the engine.oil can reach hotter temps than you expect In the Ecoboost. The turbos heat the coolant up in a hard pull and that in turn tends to elevate oil temp.

Necroposts...
necropost.jpg

Yes, I was just pointing out the engine.oil can reach hotter temps than you expect In the Ecoboost. The turbos heat the coolant up in a hard pull and that in turn tends to elevate oil temp.

I know, however, I'm taking into account the built quality of the motor as well. RAM 1500 year models 2015, 2016, and 2017 all had lifter issues. The oil coolers were introduced in 2018. I believe that after 2017 Crysler/FCA updated the lifters and added oil coolers to the 5.7 HEMI engines as they wanted to redundantly mitigate such issues. My truck was built in 2015, so it's almost a guarantee that I don't have the best lifters in there, let alone that there is no oil cooler. Can I fix manufacturing or design deficiencies with motor oil? Probably not, however, I can do my best to keep those rollers well lubed and clean. FCA has been very quiet over the years about these lifter issues. Since 2015 they had two or three updates, so they've been trying to address this without issuing a recall because that would cost them a lot of money. Using proper bearing steel to make those roller bearings for the lifters is important, and there is no way of telling if I got substandard lifters in my truck or not. Only FCA has that information because they know precisely what lifters in which engines went because it's all tracked by their internal inventory. However, they are sitting on that information and they will never ever release it for obvious reasons. So it is what it is.

My next truck won't be a RAM, it will probably be the Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 2.7 Turbo motor or a Ford F150 with the 2.7EB. In either of those, I'll either run Rotella T6 5W-30 Multi-Vehicle or Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30. They both seem like decent oils. In fact, I was considering RGT for the 5.7 HEMI as well. Unlike M1 Truck & SUV, Shell is onto something here with RGT. Did you know that Castrol also had a Truck & SUV oil in the pipeline, but then they pulled the plug on it? I will do an oil change soon, and I haven't made my mind up yet what will go in next. RGT 5W-30 is basically as thick as M1 FS 0W-40, but probably less prone to shearing.

I know, however, I'm taking into account the built quality of the motor as well. RAM 1500 year models 2015, 2016, and 2017 all had lifter issues. The oil coolers were introduced in 2018. I believe that after 2017 Crysler/FCA updated the lifters and added oil coolers to the 5.7 HEMI engines as they wanted to redundantly mitigate such issues. My truck was built in 2015, so it's almost a guarantee that I don't have the best lifters in there, let alone that there is no oil cooler. Can I fix manufacturing or design deficiencies with motor oil? Probably not, however, I can do my best to keep those rollers well lubed and clean. FCA has been very quiet over the years about these lifter issues. Since 2015 they had two or three updates, so they've been trying to address this without issuing a recall because that would cost them a lot of money. Using proper bearing steel to make those roller bearings for the lifters is important, and there is no way of telling if I got substandard lifters in my truck or not. Only FCA has that information because they know precisely what lifters in which engines went because it's all tracked by their internal inventory. However, they are sitting on that information and they will never ever release it for obvious reasons. So it is what it is.

My next truck won't be a RAM, it will probably be the Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 2.7 Turbo motor or a Ford F150 with the 2.7EB. In either of those, I'll either run Rotella T6 5W-30 Multi-Vehicle or Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30. They both seem like decent oils. In fact, I was considering RGT for the 5.7 HEMI as well. Unlike M1 Truck & SUV, Shell is onto something here with RGT. Did you know that Castrol also had a Truck & SUV oil in the pipeline, but then they pulled the plug on it? I will do an oil change soon, and I haven't made my mind up yet what will go in next. RGT 5W-30 is basically as thick as M1 FS 0W-40, but probably less prone to shearing.

My understanding is the lifters came from the same supplier as GM and it was primarily a quality control. Regardless if that's true, the main things with roller lifters that are not defective to start with, is adequate oil flow and avoiding valve float. Once the needle bearings are damaged be either inadequate flow or valve float it's only a matter of time. I do believe GM manages to salvage the cam more often because it's a billet instead of cast core.

My understanding is the lifters came from the same supplier as GM and it was primarily a quality control. Regardless if that's true, the main things with roller lifters that are not defective to start with, is adequate oil flow and avoiding valve float. Once the needle bearings are damaged be either inadequate flow or valve float it's only a matter of time. I do believe GM manages to salvage the cam more often because it's a billet instead of cast core.

I think it was Delphi who supplied those lifters in their post-bankruptcy years. It's been a long time since I studied Industrial Design, however, I remember that there is bearing steel, and the roller bearings at the end of those lifters had to adhere to a certain standard and spec. If they cut corners during production and/or sourced substandard materials then it's not hard to see how they fail. IIRC GM was much quicker at addressing this issue than Crysler/FCA. I have a very good friend who drives a Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Vortec, and he runs Valvoline 0W-20 in it. He uses it for work, towing, pretty much anything without a worry in the world. You couldn't talk this guy into running anything fancier even if wanted to. Meanwhile, if you have a RAM 1500 pre-2018 you're looking at possible lifter failures and guaranteed manifold bolt replacement. Supposedly FCA has finally addressed the exhaust manifold issue (finally). I assume that they ran out of the old bolts. Thanks for your insight and advice.

I think it was Delphi who supplied those lifters in their post-bankruptcy years. It's been a long time since I studied Industrial Design, however, I remember that there is bearing steel, and the roller bearings at the end of those lifters had to adhere to a certain standard and spec. If they cut corners during production and/or sourced substandard materials then it's not hard to see how they fail. IIRC GM was much quicker at addressing this issue than Crysler/FCA. I have a very good friend who drives a Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Vortec, and he runs Valvoline 0W-20 in it. He uses it for work, towing, pretty much anything without a worry in the world. You couldn't talk this guy into running anything fancier even if wanted to. Meanwhile, if you have a RAM 1500 pre-2018 you're looking at possible lifter failures and guaranteed manifold bolt replacement. Supposedly FCA has finally addressed the exhaust manifold issue (finally). I assume that they ran out of the old bolts. Thanks for your insight and advice.

The lifter saga for GM greatly mirrors the one for FCA and I think took roughly the same amount of time to be properly addressed. Melling has a technical write-up on it for the GM ones from 2018:

SAE 0W-0 is imminent.

Don't worry, soon enough they'll make engines out of unobtanium and ZERO oils will become ubiquitous. They will be additive-free, made from GTL 4 cSt base oil. Shell will be really happy about it. I can already see the marketing nerds at it: "Mobil 0 Nfinite Performance" or "Pennzoil Hyper Plutonium Zero" or "Castrol FRINGE Beyond Performance". Of course, they will all refrain from using viscosity numbers because a lonely zero will not look good on oil jugs.

They will be oil less, like the oil less compressors!

And be just as durable...

I have a Husky Air Compressor that I got at Home Depot in 2009. I used it for my air tools, inflate tires, clean dust & debris with it, even used it to test my gas piping for leaks. Never had an issue with it, it doesn't need any maintenance as it's all sealed. It's like the one in the picture, but older.

husky.jpg

Here is my particular situation:
  • The 5.7 HEMI in the RAM 1500 came without an oil cooler from the factory, so the oil temperature is around 222F~224F when cruising and ~245F when towing a moderate load, it goes even higher when driving uphill. It's not ideal to play cSt roulette with 5W-20 ILSAC oil in this configuration if you want any kind of longevity out of it.
FYI, my 2020 Ram with the 5.7L eTorque engine averages ~220F oil temps during in-town driving and highway driving. I have never towed.

FYI, my 2020 Ram with the 5.7L eTorque engine averages ~220F oil temps during in-town driving and highway driving. I have never towed.

You also have an oil cooler so you wouldn't have to worry about oil temps even if you were towing. I don't have an oil cooler. RAM decided to randomly install those up until 2018, then they installed them on all RAM 1500 trucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back