0W8 and 0W12 API discussion

I know 1 Member on here who has no problem using a Thinner Oil. LOL
That was me~!
I have used 5W-20 motor oil in every vehicle I've ever owned starting with a new Dodge Polara 500 in 1965 with a 383 cu in motor. That first oil was Atlantic Imperial. I've lived in NJ and FL. I've never had an oil related engine failure.
My father drove a 1956 Studebaker Power Hawk powered by a 259 cu in V-8 which he drove for 170,000 miles before trading it. He used 20 wt oil year round changing oil and filter every 10,000 miles. At trade in time he was using 1/2 quart of oil every 5,000 miles, and that usage was diagnosed as being from deteriorated valve seals.
Thinner motor oil flows more easily than thick oil, and moves more quickly to every part of you engine at "cold start". I think that this is a critical consideration since the greatest amount of engine wear occurs at start up.

Thinner motor oil flows more easily than thick oil, and moves more quickly to every part of you engine at "cold start". I think that this is a critical consideration since the greatest amount of engine wear occurs at start up.
When did that start happening?

And if it pumps it flows. What is important is the winter rating. After that the oil is going to flow if the pump is working.

I did not realize that 5W-20 oils existed in 1965?
I was skeptical, never remember seeing 5w-20 before about 15 years ago. 10w-20 yes, but not 5w-20. I searched and found a factory service manual for a 1965 Mustang. For temps below -10F Ford recommended 5W-20, above 10w-30, so yes, definitely existed by 1965.

That jogged my memory, the original Mobil 1 in 1974 was 5w-20.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/about-us/mobil-1/one-great-oil-one-great-story

I was skeptical, never remember seeing 5w-20 before about 15 years ago. 10w-20 yes, but not 5w-20. I searched and found a factory service manual for a 1965 Mustang. For temps below -10F Ford recommended 5W-20, above 10w-30, so yes, definitely existed by 1965.

That jogged my memory, the original Mobil 1 in 1974 was 5w-20.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/about-us/mobil-1/one-great-oil-one-great-story

I was too (should have added a sarcasm emoji to my post) because I knew that it did not exist in 1965. I have never seen an example of it in production from back then despite the OM. 20/20W did...

I did not realize that 5W-20 oils existed in 1965?
Here is a post from 2009.
5w20 was originally not synthetic.

You mean lower than 0W0 aka straight 0W? How is this even possible, the weight can go below a 0?
Well first off because the winter ratings are not a weight. And secondly because the numbers don’t mean anything, they are just designations for specific performance targets. I think it would be better if they weren’t numbers so people wouldn’t be so confused by them.

Here is a post from 2009.
5w20 was originally not synthetic.
I thought it was circa 1974 via Mobil 1?

Back on topic . I was doing some reading about the new specs and noticed that there was a lot of overlap in the CST range at 100c for 0W-8, 0W-12, 0W-16, and 0W-20 (i.e. a CST 7 @100c oil could bet a 0W-12, 0W-16 or 0W-20). With the older grades there was no overlap. From what I read, SAE has moved to focus on HTHS and that is what determines the grade of the new oils, with 0W-8 of at least 1.7, 0W-12 of at least 2.0, 0W-16 of at least 2.3, and 0W-20 of at least 2.6.

I'm using Royal Purple XPR 0w8 in my Lexus ES300h right now and I absolutely hate it. Too much valve train clatter and the lifter tick is louder. Hate it so much I'm contemplating changing it out at 5000 miles. I only have 1500 miles on this oil and it's too expensive to chuck it this early.

I'm using Royal Purple XPR 0w8 in my Lexus ES300h right now and I absolutely hate it. Too much valve train clatter and the lifter tick is louder. Hate it so much I'm contemplating changing it out at 5000 miles. I only have 1500 miles on this oil and it's too expensive to chuck it this early.

Why would you use a non-API drag racing oil in a street car?

Back