0W8 and 0W12 API discussion

Not sure if this has been posted before, but just got a notice about it. People are still leary of using 0W20 so this may take some more convincing.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but just got a notice about it. People are still leary of using 0W20 so this may take some more convincing.

BMW has been recommending 0w12 on new deliveries over the past 6 months or so.

Kinda like engine technology is hardware and oil is software. Like the info that USA/Canada does not control the world view with its CAFE regulations. Get used to thin, here to stay. (for some engines) 5w20 has been around for some engines for a really long time and seems to work fine.

I know 1 Member on here who has no problem using a Thinner Oil. LOL

Why bother putting STP in a 20-weight oil, why not just use a thicker oil like 10W-30, Straight-30, or 20W-40 that was around then?
Just curious what the thinking was…?

Why bother putting STP in a 20-weight oil, why not just use a thicker oil like 10W-30, Straight-30, or 20W-40 that was around then?
Just curious what the thinking was…?
The best answer I can give is because it worked. We are talking over 50 years ago and I was about 20 years old. 10w-40 was the standard back then. It used oil with that. Probably something I read in Popular Mechanics suggested 20w-20 and something else suggested STP. The other thing was I got better fuel mileage. Somewhere I think I still have my fuel record book for that car.

The best answer I can give is because it worked. We are talking over 50 years ago and I was about 20 years old. 10w-40 was the standard back then. It used oil with that. Probably something I read in Popular Mechanics suggested 20w-20 and something else suggested STP. The other thing was I got better fuel mileage. Somewhere I think I still have my fuel record book for that car.
So your mileage went from 10 to 10.75 mpg? Lol

The 20W-20 of those days was completely different than today's 20-grade. There have been multiple revisions to the SAE grade scales since then. Your VM-laden 10W-40 with poor viscosity retention was not quite as different to the 20W-20 as you think.

Add to the mix that distinguishing and attributing an observed fuel economy difference to the singular variable of oil grade is impossible in everyday driving. There are far too many uncontrolled variables.

The 20W-20 of those days was completely different than today's 20-grade. There have been multiple revisions to the SAE grade scales since then. Your VM-laden 10W-40 with poor viscosity retention was not quite as different to the 20W-20 as you think.

Add to the mix that distinguishing and attributing an observed fuel economy difference to the singular variable of oil grade is impossible in everyday driving. There are far too many uncontrolled variables.
You know, my point was that a 0w-0 oil is no more unthinkable now than 20w-20 was 50 years ago. Everything after that was NOT on point.

I am now actually amazed we used to think 10w-40 was the greatest of oils. Again, that was 50 years ago. There is almost no relationship between oils then and oils now.

I am now actually amazed we used to think 10w-40 was the greatest of oils. Again, that was 50 years ago. There is almost no relationship between oils then and oils now.
But not because of the HT/HS. You’re not “on point” here. Today’s 10W-40 is an entirely serviceable oil unlike the reasons it was not back in the 70s and 80s.

Back