0W40 in a 0w20 spec vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK, what?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
The OM for my CR-V says to use 0W-20 for all conditions. Feel better?

Originally Posted By: JOD
Heck, I used a thicker oil than spec'd in one of my cars because I didn't think the spec'd oil was suitable, given the oil pressure I was getting under certain conditions, so I'm not averse to "thick" oil; but that fact is 20W oils have demonstrated, long-term, that they work well, and they certainly spend more time closer to the "correct" viscosity--since most vehicles spend much of their lives getting up to temperature.

Being educated you realized 20 grade oil wasn't suitable for your application. What about the poor schlep driving an identical car as yours under the same conditions using the spec 20 grade oil? If it wasn't best for you is it best for him? I'm pretty sure you're not the only person driving under the conditions you encountered with that engine. What about the average guy who follows the OM thinking all is fine and dandy? Who helps him when the life of his engine is "possibly" cut short due to CAFE, and following the book? If you were totally confident that 20 grade oil was all its cracked up to be why use thicker oil then?

My point is words like "most conditions", "average user", etc. don't leave me warm and fuzzy. Words like, "any" and "all" would leave me feeling better. A simple statement like 20 grade oil is best for any conditions the vehicle can be used under would, take any and all doubt away. I'll bet you'll never see those words though. Many new cars only give one choice of oil grade and no other options, is it really the best? My 2¢.

What does it call for in Europe and Australia?

IDK, what?

I'll give you a hint its not 0W20. Does the Honda OM say all temperatures, or all conditions? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Why just a hint? Don't you know? Was I supposed to look it up for you? How does the recommendation for oil viscosity in another country trump what my OM says to use, which is 0W-20 for all temperatures and conditions?

IDK, what?

I'll give you a hint its not 0W20. Does the Honda OM say all temperatures, or all conditions? Just wondering.

Why just a hint? Don't you know? Was I supposed to look it up for you? How does the recommendation for oil viscosity in another country trump what my OM says to use, which is 0W-20 for all temperatures and conditions?

IDK, what?

The other parts of the world discussion has already been gone over. The search engine is your friend. Other parts of the world give the owner a choice to match the oil to the temps and service the vehicle is to be used under, it isn't cast in stone by CAFE like it is in the USA.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The eco weenies have foisted this 20w debacle on us. Pure and simple politically driven central control stuff here, anyone can see it.

Thinner oil is coming soon to a vehicle near you! And absolutely nothing wrong with the idea, but the gas savings are miniscule, and there are too many motors that are actually old designs simply tweaked for economy purposes to meet CAFE.

But no matter what anyone says, when I see the IDENTICAL motor using different grades that tells me something. It may be something quite different than it tells you.

Thanks! Your post sums it perfectly, you hit the nail on the head with common sense.

By response, I'll assume you do not know the answer to your own question.

If I can drive my CR-V below sea level through Louisiana, across the Rockies, through Texas and deserts (including Death Valley) up the PCH to Alaska, cut across Canada and back to Michigan while towing a trailer rated at or less than what my OM specifies all the while using 0W-20, preserving my warranty and not experiencing any engine oil related failure or any excessive wear as depicted by oil analysis:

1. What use or importance is it to me to know what is specified in another country?

2. People in other countries are given a choice. How does this benefit me?

3. How is it better for me to have a choice to use a heavier grade of oil or not when the specified 0W-20 is doing everything I expect it to in every possible scenario I could ever put the car through?

IDK, what?

The other parts of the world discussion has already been gone over. The search engine is your friend. Other parts of the world give the owner a choice to match the oil to the temps and service the vehicle is to be used under, it isn't cast in stone by CAFE like it is in the USA.

Last edited:
Wow you say you can do all that driving and towing, it would be a nice trip. Have you done it? Post the link to the UOA, then repeat with 0W30, then lets compare.

If you're interested in what is recommend in Europe google Mobil 1 DE see what they suggest, I doubt you'll find many applications calling for 20 grade oil.

Last Post contents:
If I can drive my CR-V below sea level through Louisiana, across the Rockies, through Texas and deserts (including Death Valley) up the PCH to Alaska, cut across Canada and back to Michigan while towing a trailer rated at or less than what my OM specifies all the while using 0W-20, preserving my warranty and not experiencing any engine oil related failure or any excessive wear as depicted by oil analysis:
1. What use or importance is it to me to know what is specified in another country?
3. How is it better for me to have a choice to use a heavier grade of oil or not when the specified 0W-20 is doing everything I expect it to in every possible scenario I could ever put the car through?

1/ Towing is not defined as severe service and Blackstones published UOA based results showing no difference in anything.
Obviously if you overheat the engine or drive in the wrong gear that could change.
2/ It doesn't matter as regards your car, because your engine might be OK for 5 or 0/20, unless it has suffered back specing in oil grade terms without proper oversight in engineering terms. All you need to do is just confirm from the Castrol or LM oil finder guides if they agree with your manufacturers OCI and oil specs.
3/ Your present useage is perfectly OK for the full OCI, but you might wish to extend it and then you have the ability to use a different oil without concerns.
4/ The warranty can only be invalidated if they can prove the use of a heavier oil caused the failure, which is kind of unlikely, assuming you did not sign some additional waiver or service agreement.
5/ The performance and response of an engine to the oil type used does change as it gets older, so even if your present OCI is wear metals free on 0/1 it does not mean it will stay that way. You might find sludge forming from too much idle time stuck in a mountain pass, or an oil leak starts that is beyond economic repair, so it's nice to know that you have a choice of a 5 or 10/40 HM oil or not.

Your inability to answer questions or engage in meaningful debate is telling. You have no idea of what you are talking about. You are nothing more than a fanboy of heavier than recommended oils because:

1. It makes you feel better.

2. You have seen that other countries outside NA offer choices, so that must be better but can not explain why or how that helps me or makes these choices better overall.

No, I have not taken a trip as I described in the CR-V, but have done similar trips in other vehicles w/o engine oil related issues.

I have towed a boat FREQUENTLY back in forth through through Death Valley in the summer w/o issue using dino 5W-20. No need to go heavier.

Went back and forth from SoCal to Mi three times using 0W and 5W-30 pretty well loaded and towing trailers in different times of years w/o issue. So how does other parts of the world speciifing other grade benifit me? Don't worry, I won't, you will not answer because you can't.

Wow you say you can do all that driving and towing, it would be a nice trip. Have you done it? Post the link to the UOA, then repeat with 0W30, then lets compare.

If you're interested in what is recommend in Europe google Mobil 1 DE see what they suggest, I doubt you'll find many applications calling for 20 grade oil.

Edited to add. In case you haven't been able to tell, I couldn't care less what is recommended in Europe because it does not apply to me. But you have admitted that 20 grade oil is used in Europe. How do you explain that in the absence of CAFE? Wait. You won't because you can't. It's tough being a fanboy. Maybe Trav will jump in and bail you out. Then you can post behind him and say, "Yeah, what he said!"

Last edited:
Quote:
But you have admitted that 20 grade oil is used in Europe. How do you explain that in the absence of CAFE?

Where did he say that?
Yes they use 20w on the European continent but only for hybrids because of their engines shorter duty cycle.

Your inability to answer questions or engage in meaningful debate is telling. You have no idea of what you are talking about. You are nothing more than a fanboy of heavier than recommended oils because:

2. You have seen that other countries outside NA offer choices, so that must be better but can not explain why or how that helps me or makes these choices better overall.

No, I have not taken a trip as I described in the CR-V, but have done similar trips in other vehicles w/o engine oil related issues.

I have towed a boat FREQUENTLY back in forth through through Death Valley in the summer w/o issue using dino 5W-20. No need to go heavier.

Went back and forth from SoCal to Mi three times using 0W and 5W-30 pretty well loaded and towing trailers in different times of years w/o issue. So how does other parts of the world speciifing other grade benifit me? Don't worry, I won't, you will not answer because you can't.

Edited to add. In case you haven't been able to tell, I couldn't care less what is recommended in Europe because it does not apply to me. But you have admitted that 20 grade oil is used in Europe. How do you explain that in the absence of CAFE? Wait. You won't because you can't. It's tough being a fanboy. Maybe Trav will jump in and bail you out. Then you can post behind him and say, "Yeah, what he said!"

I could care less what you do too. Talk about answering questions you still didn't answer the question about the Ford 15W40, thick isn't it? Why? There are better choices.

So you could care less or you don't know the difference between "could" and the contraction "could not" care less? I vote the latter. And what 15W-40 Ford? Am I supposed to know every post on this forum? Are you going to suggest I use the search feature? Can you yet again not answer your own question?

Why do you use 0W-20 in your Jeep?

I could care less what you do too. Talk about answering questions you still didn't answer the question about the Ford 15W40, thick isn't it? Why? There are better choices.

Yep its getting hot
lol.gif

Anything useful in this thread seems to be long gone. Time to move on.

Then why are you a member? This is an oil forum. What shall we do here, talk weather?

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Settle down kids.

It's just motor oil.

I wouldn't think twice about using this oil if it were my truck, if you are not encountering really cold winter weather, i'm willing to bet you would never notice a difference between a 0w20 5w20 over the 0w40. I never could, slight difference in cold weather starting and even then I think it was all in my head.

This 0w40 is an excellent oil use it! your truck will never know the difference.

Last edited:
Then why are you a member? This is an oil forum. What shall we do here, talk weather?

Settle down kids.

It's just motor oil.

You're right, this is an oil forum and you guys have started to take this thread into "unproductive" status with back and forth bickering.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yep its getting hot
lol.gif

Anything useful in this thread seems to be long gone. Time to move on.

^^ This ^^

This applies to more than just motor oil.

BMW spec's a range of tire pressures for their cars depending on how they are loaded elsewhere in the world. North Americans just gets one broad brush spec'd pressure that is typically at the, or is the high end of the range.

MB and other manufacturers do the same thing.

So we either must assume that Americans/Canadians are too inept to be given the choice of pressures based on loading, are too lazy to do it, or there is some other driving factor here (CAFE) that is in play. Since tire pressure, like oil viscosity, plays a role in fuel consumption.

I'm not saying that everybody needs to be running 0w40 because Mercedes uses it. I'm simply asking you to consider WHY areas outside North American are given options that we are not.....

Settle down kids.

It's just motor oil.

Looking to fight Changer? Look elsewhere. Seems you have a 3 way battle going on, lousy odds for you. I'm done with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back