0W40 in a 0w20 spec vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: Thax
Dodge 4.7's run best on a thinner oil , dont recommend a 40 weight oil.

I don't think anyone here would "recommend" that 0W-40 be used in this application. The OP was mainly just asking if he can use it without causing problems since he already has it on hand, and the answer is yes. I see you are using 5W-30 in your 4.7. (As did I in the Grand Cherokee with the 4.7) As pointed out, the M1 is a light 40, so it's not much thicker than a 30 at operating temp. Because it's a 0W-40, it will actually be better than a 5W-30 on cold startups when most wear occurs. Since it's already on hand, I would use it up before buying new oil.

(Yes, I'm still a newbie here, but I've done enough reading here and other places over the years to have gained at least a little bit of knowledge)

M1 0w-40 is not better than a 5w-30 on cold startup , is much thicker than a 30 weight at operating temps. The 4.7 was engineered to use a 30 weight and will suffer mpg and power loss with M1 0w-40 . Dont get me wrong M1 0w-40 is a fantastic oil , just not optimal in the 4.7

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

21.gif

I am NOT trying to be a jerk but I am just curious where you came up with the Dakota w/ the 4.7L spec'ing 0W20? Prior to 2007 the Dakota's with the 4.7L spec'd 5W30. Starting in 2007 the oil spec was 5W20. Never heard of Chrysler spec'ing 0W20 in a 4.7L( or any vehicle actually? ). They didn't even give an option for 0W20.

Dakota 4.7L oil weight spec's:
2006 and earlier 4.7L = 5W30
2007 4.7L & 4.7L HO = 5W20
2008 4.7L & 4.7L HO = 5W20
2009 4.7L & 4.7L HO = 5W20
2010 4.7L = 5W20
2011 4.7L = 5W20

Not saying 0W20 is bad or anything. Just not the "spec'd" weight. I personally would not run the 40 weight. I would get some 5W20 or 5W30 depending on what year this Dakota actually is and run the called for weight. JMHO.

Maybe I mis-typed, and really should have typed 5W20, sorry. I haven't even gotten the owners manual for this thing yet, and was just trying to post from memory of what was on the filler cap...now I have to go look...

Quote:
The 4.7 was engineered to use a 30 weight and will suffer mpg and power loss with M1 0w-40 .

It absolutely 100% was not engineered to use 30w.
It was engineered to use a wide viscosity range including 20, 30 or 40w depending on location and politically driven requirements like CAFE. Nothing more or less.
Mpg and power loss will be negligible.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Another interesting data point, eh Trav?

Yep sure is Steve. This nonsense that engines are engineered to run on a single grade of oil is getting old fast.
BTW this engine is spec in Europe for among other Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 which has an HTHS of 3.56, not far from the HTHS of 3.8 for the US Mobil 1 0w40 and certainly thicker than any 20w.
The 0w40 may just be the correct oil for this engine looking past CAFE.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This nonsense that engines are engineered to run on a single grade of oil is getting old fast.

The 0w40 may just be the correct oil for this engine looking past CAFE.

I agree with you that engines can handle a wider range of viscosities fine (partly because lighter weight oils are now strong enough to protect).

But can you explain why 0w40 can be designated as the correct oil? You yourself are suggesting there is a range of oils weights that are correct so how can you within the same paragraph suggest that a particular weight is correct?

Not trying to catch you out here, just interested on why since I use that very same oil.

I'm personally of the opinion that if a lighter weight oil has been demonstrated to have enough strength to do the job, then use it. You do save fuel and you do have an engine in the correct operating viscosity range sooner rather than later. Since most trips are less than 20 minutes, using an oil more suitable for 80% of trips, yet strong enough for sustained use, seems to make a lot of sense. All I've seen is that manufacturer's have tested their engines over time to see if they're suitable for taking on 20 weight oils. There is definitely a relationship that they're managing with the EPA that drives this more in the US than elsewhere. But this is not a bad thing if over time it saves even 0.5% in fuel consumption nationwide.

I said it might be, maybe i should have said optimal instead of correct.
Take the Nissan VQ for an example these engines routinely produce better UOA's with the 0w40 but he wont know until he tries it out and compares the two.

I am not convinced 20w is optimal for anything if it was then other countries would be using it also and their fuel prices are in most places double and more than the US.
CAFE is the worst sort of political control mechanism ever foisted on the consumer bar none.

Quote:
yet strong enough for sustained use, seems to make a lot of sense. All I've seen is that manufacturer's have tested their engines over time to see if they're suitable for taking on 20 weight oils.

Only in the most mundane grocery getters. Chrysler for example specs 0w40 in anything with more HP than a lawnmower with seats.

Last edited:
Take the Nissan VQ for an example these engines routinely produce better UOA's with the 0w40 but he wont know until he tries it out and compares the two.
I am not convinced 20w is optimal for anything if it was then other countries would be using it also and their fuel prices are in most places double and more than the US.
CAFE is the worst sort of political control mechanism ever foisted on the consumer bar none.

Quote:
yet strong enough for sustained use, seems to make a lot of sense. All I've seen is that manufacturer's have tested their engines over time to see if they're suitable for taking on 20 weight oils.

Only in the most mundane grocery getters. Chrysler for example specs 0w40 in anything with more HP than a lawnmower with seats.

The OP is asking if 0/40 is OK in an 0/20 spec engine and it does kind of depend on the details and if the oil flow rate around the pistons is used as a big hot spot cooling factor.
If you are one range out, like 0W spec and you use 5W, or 5/20 spec and you run 5/30 that is very unlikely to be problematic. Two ranges adrift is not such a clever idea, because oil normally thins out during a normal OCI, then starts to thicken from carbon build up when pushed too far. Normally the trouble starts at the thinner end of an out of spec multigrade and you have to allow for this very silly back specing and ignore it, like the Germans and Brits do.
The other big factor is oil leak and consumption rates for older engines, as a higher weight is going to save oil, so most folks over 100K miles that have a 5/20 oil spec might find it was meant to have been a 5/30 before the politics, so a 5 or 0/40 would be fine.

Quote:

Well optimal is a loaded word because it is used without stating what we're trying to optimize.

Firstly, if the engine will outlast the car on 20 weight oil, and 20 weight oil produces fuel economy savings, then 20 weight could be claimed to be optimal even if, despite cold start wear advantages, it overall caused more wear than 30 weight.

I think studies have shown that 20 weight oil saves fuel, and Ford did rigourous testing. Toyota's back spec to 20 weight engines is particularly interesting in that some engines that people think are the same can take 0w20 in recent years, others can take 5w20 in less recent years, and others have to stick to 5w30 in older years.

In Toyota's case, there must be some serious engineering and statistical analysis going on to figure out which engines can and cannot go on the lighter oils.

So I think we are left more with the question of explaining why other countries don't spec 20 weight oil rather than why the US does spec it.

Firstly, I would contend that since most engines run a good part of their time on much higher viscosities than operating temperatures, and that these viscosities at 40c range from the 40's for 20 weight to the 70's for 40 weight, and subsequently much higher at 20c or 0c, that the difference between viscosity of 8 for 20 weight or 10 for 30 weight, is anyhow negligible.

So for me, the question is really answered by looking at the economics of the effort required by the same manufacturers to spec 20 weight outside of the US and what incentive they have to do so.

1) They would have to prove that in the TYPICAL operating conditions in a particular country that there would be still be enough reliability in a switch to a lighter oil. Remember, in the US they have done this, but the TYPICAL operating condition is not the same
2) In these other countries, oil is typically more expensive, and 20 weight oil is going to be even more expensive. So there are many switching costs if they started to specify lighter oils.

When I lived and drove in the UK, the traffic was terrible. Typical journeys were stop start, never exceeding 50mph, often crawling along in traffic. Everywhere is city driving and engines were smaller. I would say that compared to the US, it was a style of driving that on the typical day produces much far more strain than the typical day in the US.

So, to spec 20 weight in the UK would mean verifying in field testing that it worked. If it worked, it would mean then making sure 20 weight oil was supplied to dealers and shops. The 20 weight oil would apply to a fraction of the vehicles out there as the engines were slowly tested, and everybody would be complaining about the higher cost of oil and the complication.

In the US, there was a distinct event, CAFE regulations, that provided an incentive for a manufacturer to work on testing and making engines compatible with lighter oil. If a manufacturer saw profit in going through this effort, then they would put in the wholesale effort of moving that way. But to move that way, they had to be sure through engineering and testing that 20 weight oil would work. There was probably some threshold vs 30 weight oil that they applied that would not result in an amount of premature failure that would impact consumer perceptions.

This is what I think has happened and what explains the difference between countries.

The US has an incentive to move this way and some manufacturers have taken it.

Others in the US have either not explored the incentive, or figured it would not financially benefit them.

Outside of the US, since the manufacturer is not paying for fuel or paying a penalty, and the fuel economy improvement is so small from an advertising point of view, and the switching costs for them to do the testing, for consumers, dealers and others involved in oil changes is so high, they have no reason to move to lighter oil.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
I think studies have shown that 20 weight oil saves fuel, and Ford did rigourous testing. Toyota's back spec to 20 weight engines is particularly interesting in that some engines that people think are the same can take 0w20, others can take 5w20, and others have to stick to 5w30.

In Toyota's case, there must be some serious engineering and statistical analysis going on to figure out which engines can and cannot go on the lighter oils.

Interesting. So we could say a statistical engineer, or someone along those lines determines what oil can be used based on demographics, and how they think a person might use the vehicle to make the oil viscosity determination? CAFE must be pushing real hard. The more I read up on the thinner oils and why they'e being used, the less I think they are the best choice. I really don't think the automaker has engine longevity in mind if there is any truth to what you've said. For the record I agree with you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: MarkStock
I think studies have shown that 20 weight oil saves fuel, and Ford did rigourous testing. Toyota's back spec to 20 weight engines is particularly interesting in that some engines that people think are the same can take 0w20, others can take 5w20, and others have to stick to 5w30.

Interesting. So we could say a statistical engineer, or someone along those lines determines what oil can be used based on demographics, and how they think a person might use the vehicle to make the oil viscosity determination? CAFE must be pushing real hard. The more I read up on the thinner oils and why they'e being used, the less I think they are the best choice. I really don't think the automaker has engine longevity in mind if there is any truth to what you've said. For the record I agree with you.

I might put it this way instead. (Completely made up numbers)

Toyota might have worked out that on a new engine, there is a particular part that is more oil weight sensitive. That this particular part's failure rate will go up 1% if lighter weight oil is used. So they conclude that going to 0w20 from 5w30 will reduce average engine life from 300k to 280k.

They also know that other components will collectively fail earlier than that, so this does not bother them. Indeed, Ford's desert testing of 5w20 was done to 250k so maybe that's a threshold being used.

Win: So we collectively use less fuel, we have less pollution and we actually see that saving in our pocket over time, Ford makes a net profit of less penalty vs more testing, the oil companies make less profit and we import less oil, and the government takes in less revenue so it spends less.

Loss: A statistically insignificant number of people have earlier engine failure and on BITOG Trav & Caterham get to have a fight (although this could be considered a Win too).

Quote:
Ford's desert testing of 5w20 was done to 250k

Ford uses 5w30 in their turbo engines like the eco boost, 5w50 in their real performance engine. Why?

As far as oil costing more in other countries so 20w would cost even more.
The reason for high motor oil prices in Europe anyway is not the price of oil its the taxes so no 20w wouldn't cost more.
20w is available from Toyota for their hybrids at the same price.
Strange Toyota does spec 20w for the hybrid in Germany and not other models using the 1.8L in-line four-cylinder DOHC with variable valve timing.
Quote:
the government takes in less revenue so it spends less.

Your joking with that comment right?

Quote:
the government takes in less revenue so it spends less.

Your joking with that comment right?

It's how I check that folks read my post all the way to the end.

wink.gif

Quote:
Ford's desert testing of 5w20 was done to 250k
Ford uses 5w30 in their turbo engines like the eco boost, 5w50 in their real performance engine. Why?

Because those engines would get to temps that would make lighter oil too thin.

Even Haas says he would use thicker oil on the track. He only uses thin oil because he does short trips around town in his exotics.

On the Ford Eco-Boost 5-30 oil thing. I would say the reason Ford calls for 5-30 is for the turbo itself not the engine. For example Honda calls for 0-5-20 for their engines but for their turbo models they call for HTO-06 spec oils, which are 5-30.

Originally Posted By: tig1
On the Ford Eco-Boost 5-30 oil thing. I would say the reason Ford calls for 5-30 is for the turbo itself not the engine. For example Honda calls for 0-5-20 for their engines but for their turbo models they call for HTO-06 spec oils, which are 5-30.

You forgot 10W30 in S2000, and it has its own oil filter not like other Honda filter.

Quote:

I now understand why you're unable to look at this logically. It's all the gub'ment's fault... "mundane grocery getters" doing trips of less than 20 minute comprise the overwhelming majority of vehicles and trips taken, and 20W oils have proven to be adequate for sustained use in *most* cars for which they're spec'd. So, the way I see it, 20W oils are "optimal" for almost all cars for which they're spec'd. Sure, you make a convincing argument for certain Honda V6's to use a thicker oil. Heck, I used a thicker oil than spec'd in one of my cars because I didn't think the spec'd oil was suitable, given the oil pressure I was getting under certain conditions, so I'm not averse to "thick" oil; but that fact is 20W oils have demonstrated, long-term, that they work well, and they certainly spend more time closer to the "correct" viscosity--since most vehicles spend much of their lives getting up to temperature.

You can continue to rant about the gub'ment and talk about what they do in other countries, but keep in mind that over the last 20-30 years probably >90% of the peer-reviewed literature on ICE lubrication has been published by engineers in the US and Japan, so frankly, yes, I DO think that they know better...

The way I look at it, I'd rather look at the research behind the technology and the basic physical principles involves and less about what they use in county "X", but I guess that's just me.

Quote:
It's all the gub'ment's fault

Well who else's would it be? I look at it perfectly logically from more than one source not some self proclaimed internet forum guru. I believe sources (manufacturers specs in countries without CAFE) that are not being forced to comply with some agenda are probably more accurate.
CAFE has relegated American consumers to buying cars that years ago would never have made it to market. No American with the exception of a few kook fringe idiots would have even considered a Chevy Spark, Malibu, Cobalt,Fiesta, Focus, etc.
CAFE is market manipulation by regulation and taxation nothing more, a similar system was used by the East Germans.
20w is CAFE driven, there is no other reason to use instead of a 30w except in extreme cold conditions.
Quote:
I DO think that they know better...

Thats just your opinion.

First we get post about Fords desert testing for 250K then post about turbo engines needing 30w because of the heat or shearing of the oil by the turbo.
Wait now, if 20w can take the heat and doesn't shear and 30w does shear to a 20w anyway then why not use it in the ecoboost or the Chryler SRT cars and a host of other examples?

Why is it that when BMW tested 20w they shelved the idea?
When MB, BMW, Audi, Citroen, Fiat, any every other Euro manufacturer specs 20w than i might consider it.
They can build engines every bit as good as the Americans and Japanese so why the hold out on US market vehicles if this stuff is so good? Why are they paying more than they have too?
The answer IMHO is simple. It isn't as good or they would use it.

Last edited:
The eco weenies have foisted this 20w debacle on us. Pure and simple politically driven central control stuff here, anyone can see it.

Thinner oil is coming soon to a vehicle near you! And absolutely nothing wrong with the idea, but the gas savings are miniscule, and there are too many motors that are actually old designs simply tweaked for economy purposes to meet CAFE.

But no matter what anyone says, when I see the IDENTICAL motor using different grades that tells me something. It may be something quite different than it tells you.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Heck, I used a thicker oil than spec'd in one of my cars because I didn't think the spec'd oil was suitable, given the oil pressure I was getting under certain conditions, so I'm not averse to "thick" oil; but that fact is 20W oils have demonstrated, long-term, that they work well, and they certainly spend more time closer to the "correct" viscosity--since most vehicles spend much of their lives getting up to temperature.

Being educated you realized 20 grade oil wasn't suitable for your application. What about the poor schlep driving an identical car as yours under the same conditions using the spec 20 grade oil? If it wasn't best for you is it best for him? I'm pretty sure you're not the only person driving under the conditions you encountered with that engine. What about the average guy who follows the OM thinking all is fine and dandy? Who helps him when the life of his engine is "possibly" cut short due to CAFE, and following the book? If you were totally confident that 20 grade oil was all its cracked up to be why use thicker oil then?

My point is words like "most conditions", "average user", etc. don't leave me warm and fuzzy. Words like, "any" and "all" would leave me feeling better. A simple statement like 20 grade oil is best for any conditions the vehicle can be used under would, take any and all doubt away. I'll bet you'll never see those words though. Many new cars only give one choice of oil grade and no other options, is it really the best? My 2¢.

The OM for my CR-V says to use 0W-20 for all conditions. Feel better?

Heck, I used a thicker oil than spec'd in one of my cars because I didn't think the spec'd oil was suitable, given the oil pressure I was getting under certain conditions, so I'm not averse to "thick" oil; but that fact is 20W oils have demonstrated, long-term, that they work well, and they certainly spend more time closer to the "correct" viscosity--since most vehicles spend much of their lives getting up to temperature.

Being educated you realized 20 grade oil wasn't suitable for your application. What about the poor schlep driving an identical car as yours under the same conditions using the spec 20 grade oil? If it wasn't best for you is it best for him? I'm pretty sure you're not the only person driving under the conditions you encountered with that engine. What about the average guy who follows the OM thinking all is fine and dandy? Who helps him when the life of his engine is "possibly" cut short due to CAFE, and following the book? If you were totally confident that 20 grade oil was all its cracked up to be why use thicker oil then?

My point is words like "most conditions", "average user", etc. don't leave me warm and fuzzy. Words like, "any" and "all" would leave me feeling better. A simple statement like 20 grade oil is best for any conditions the vehicle can be used under would, take any and all doubt away. I'll bet you'll never see those words though. Many new cars only give one choice of oil grade and no other options, is it really the best? My 2¢.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
The OM for my CR-V says to use 0W-20 for all conditions. Feel better?

What does it call for in Europe and Australia? You use 15W40 year round in your Ford in Michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back