STP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had experience using STP oil treatment in the small engines. I have a 2007 KIA, 1.8L. I have been using STP Oil Treatment in my 94 GMC, 4.3 engine, since '96. I have had zero problems. In fact, rightly or wrongly I attribute the 430k miles to STP. And, it still runs with just as much power as when I bought it in '96. That was 15 years ago. But no experience with the small engines.

STP oil treatment is nothing more than a cheap 50wt oil with a ton of viscosity improvers and a dash of ZZDP sold to you at a premium.

I wouldn't attribute the accomplishment of 430k miles to STP oil treatment, it is a first class snake oil, if you begin with a quality fill of oil there is no need to add anything to it to benefit your engine.

208k is good. Is it using any oil between oil changes? I'm using Castrol in the 96 GMC PU. This Kia is wife's car. She's been taking it to one of the express lube places. They've been putting in Havoline 5w-20 -- till I insisted on using 10w-30. We live in the deep South so starting engine on -15 degree mornings is not an issue.

Might as well attribute your longetivity to increasing your viscosity. It would have been cheaper just to go up a grade in oil.

Originally Posted By: Radman
It would have been cheaper just to go up a grade in oil.

This, that's basically all STP oil treatment does, it adds 1/3 a qt of really thick high viscosity oil, which in the avg 5qt sump will bump you up a weight. In a cold environment STP is a bad idea, but in the south it probably didn't hurt you, but it would have been cheaper just to get 10w40 instead of 5w30.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
it would have been cheaper just to get 10w40 instead of 5w30.

My thoughts exactly
smirk.gif

I left this part out for the sake of brevity. Actually (referring to the GMC PU here) I did go up from 10w-30 to Valvoline 10w-40 and added STP. This was done at about 150k or so. Later I started noticing 1 qt. low at each oil change after 3k miles. So I went up to 20w-50 and the STP. No to very little oil usage now between changes. At 431k at present. Sometimes I have used 10w-30 plus STP when I didnt see the 20w-50 available and noticed about the same thing. None to very little usage between changes. I may have been in my head, that is, thinking the STP was helping. At any rate, with no smoke from the tail pipe and engine longevity I just kept doing what I've been doing. The 20w-50 may be to heavy, I admit, but with no problems caused I just stuck with it. Mostly my post was to get a feeling for the KIA Sportage with 1.8L, which I did get from you guys. With no usage between changes I think I'll just not use the STP on it. Tolerances may be much different on those engines.

You're using the Amsoil? I tried that in a 79 T-Bird , 302 engine. They said it was good for something like 25k miles or so between changes. I had the oil tested when it started turning really black around 6 - 10k miles. The silicon content was very high as was the chromium (rings). I quit using it.

If the stupidity is referring to me, thanks but no thanks, I don't need that. The posting was intended to get serious discussion and honest opinion on the subject,knowing I might get a variety of opinion - which I got plenty of. Thanks for the comments on the 4.3s. Take the rest of it and go back wherever your arrogant self came from.

No one is calling you stupid, and don't call us arrogant because you have been oblivious to the facts about a product you religiously used for 10+ years.

By all means don't let us keep you from buying it if you think it is helping, or take our advice and the extra 3 dollars it costs you to put that high viscosity oil in your engine and buy a higher quality oil to being with.

Last edited by a moderator:
STP is a polymer thickener.
Many years ago I once asked STP what the effect would be of adding one can of STP to a 4 quart sump of 5W-30 oil (the recommended max' dosage or 5%).
He said it would have a resulting viscosity of a 15W-50 oil grade.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
STP is a polymer thickener.
Many years ago I once asked STP what the effect would be of adding one can of STP to a 4 quart sump of 5W-30 oil (the recommended max' dosage or 5%).
He said it would have a resulting viscosity of a 15W-50 oil grade.

crazy2.gif

That's quite thick...

I used STP to trade in my oil leaking 1988 Toyota 4 runner! I had a couple quarts of oil and several cans of STP. That Toyota didn't drip one bit with the liquid glass in the radiator.

My grandpa swore by STP and Quaker State, but that was in a day when oil needed some additives and thicker oil. I know of a man who builds dirt track engines with used Nascar heads and he uses straight 50 Valvoline and a can of STP every time. I have seen him dip a screw driver in the STP then I tried to grab the metal and every time it slipped out of my grip.

In today's world of thin oil with awesome additives I decided to give up STP about 15 years ago, but with 400K+ it obviously works for you.

Originally Posted By: JRed
STP oil treatment is complete garbage.

I agree when used as an oil treatment, but I have used STP as an assembly lube on automotive, aircraft and small engines for years with no problems. Are there better alternatives these days? Possibly, just without the price and availability advantages of Specially Treated Petroleum. LOL!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back