Advice needed on using STP Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil.

I was given a gift certificate to Autozone, and was trying to find a good value there, but it seems nearly all items for sale are significantly more expensive than Walmart. Their lowest priced 5 quart jug of full synthetic 5W-30 oil is from a company called STP (which many will recognize from the 1970's when they became famous for making "STP oil treatment").

Has anyone here ever used STP full synthetic motor oil, or done a VOA / UOA on it?
My main concern is it's resistance to sludge/varnish in engines that have extreme heat on the cylinder heads due to poorly designed PCV system and VCM enabled.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think i've ever seen an analysis on it but It's standard SP rated full syn oil and that's about it really. I've used stp oil long ago but in the conventional type and i had no issue, changed it every 3-4k. The analysis would look about the same compared to everything else in the basic full syn category, nothing wrong with that though. How much is it, If it's the same or cheaper than $18.98 ST full syn it's worth buying, if it's even a half dollar more i wouldn't bother. Wouldn't spend more for what's pretty much the same thing.

If you wait a few weeks they might have a revised plan-o-gram and resultant fire sale. Seems to happen every December. BITOG complains when "it wasn't as good as last year."

Nothing wrong with science, technology, performance.. As long as it's API rated, run it. I typically do not buy oil from an auto parts store, as you said, it is very expensive.

Now, I will get the NAPA Full syn oil on sale around $20 a jug, or the HAvoline Full synthetic 5 quart jugs I got at $7.99 each a few years ago. BUt it has to be a great sale/clearance.

Last edited:
The STP oil is a house brand that is manufactured by Amalie. It's not top name brand but will be fine to use.

I don't think i've ever seen an analysis on it but It's standard SP rated full syn oil and that's about it really. I've used stp oil long ago but in the conventional type and i had no issue, changed it every 3-4k. The analysis would look about the same compared to everything else in the basic full syn category, nothing wrong with that though. How much is it, If it's the same or cheaper than $18.98 ST full syn it's worth buying, if it's even a half dollar more i wouldn't bother. Wouldn't spend more for what's pretty much the same thing.
It's $27.99 for the 5 quart jug (which is cheap by Autozone standards). Pennzoil Platinum is $36.99 at Autozone (and $23.98 at Walmart).
So obviously Autozone really has a high markup / profit margin on their oil. But for Autozone to be selling STP full synthetic 9 dollars cheaper than Pennzoil Platinum has me thinking that STP full synthetic is a really cheaply made oil.

It's $27.99 for the 5 quart jug (which is cheap by Autozone standards). Pennzoil Platinum is $36.99 at Autozone (and $23.98 at Walmart).
So obviously Autozone really has a high markup / profit margin on their oil. But for Autozone to be selling STP full synthetic 9 dollars cheaper than Pennzoil Platinum has me thinking that STP full synthetic is a really cheaply made oil.
It's technically cheaper quality than platinum but if you change that at or earlier olm you'll be fine. But $23 quaker state euro 5w-40 from walmart beats that $37 autozone Pennzoil platinum. I wouldn't touch it if it's that much more expensive.

WM has this on sale for a short time, Great deal, probably slightly better blended than that stp. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-S...-5-Quart/1621386547?athbdg=L1103&from=/search

The STP oil is a house brand that is manufactured by Amalie. It's not top name brand but will be fine to use.

Nice post. From the VOA below, STP's additive package has high limikts of phosphorus (anti-wear) and calcium (detergent).
So Iike it's additive package.

Make
Model
Year
Engine info

The Amalie STP Syn oil has been run here by several Members. We've run Fram Synthetic (2004 Colorado PU) and it was Amalie-made a couple years ago..... maybe still is. Nobody's reported any issues with STP Syn,

The House Brand I trust most is NAPA Syn.

Last edited:
STP engine oil was sold in Canada in the 1970’s and 80’s. It’s been gone from the market up here for decades, wish we still got it….

Been purchasing the Autozone discounted bundled deal for a 5qt container of oil of your choice plus an STP filter. Filters have been fine so far and has been the best pricing for M1 ESP 0W30 plus filter that I can find so far for both, when purchasing oil and filter together. Will see if the offer is modified to specify STP oil only in the future. Hopefully not!

Back