Mann oil filter difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there is any difference in filtration efficiency,capacity and manufacture quality between Mann oil filters made in Germany and the ones made in the U.S.?If so how much difference?

Originally Posted By: chairborne
Does anyone know if there is any difference in filtration efficiency,capacity and manufacture quality between Mann oil filters made in Germany and the ones made in the U.S.?If so how much difference?

There are definite differences in construction. Whether that translates to differences in "quality" is another matter. Some of the German ones are made with more conventional media, with some having a high priced fleece option for extended drains.

I'd use either North American or German Manns with confidence. I have not seen filtration data or capacity published on any of them.

They're in a partnership with Purolator so at worst they're going to be equivalent to a Purolator, probably.

I just ordered 3 ML 1003. Similar to PH3614 recommended for my Saturn from Rock Auto. I have some AA3600 over sized filters for my application. Though the Mann is shorter it feels heavier. Both made in USA. Have the Purolator construction with bypass on top. What looks different is the inner tube. It has larger holes spaced out further on the Mann? Maybe just an updated design. I understand the AA3600 has less filtering media compared the Purolator Premium Plus I used to buy. Maybe the Mann has more media making it have more weight? Both say 96% filtering efficiency. Rock Auto had this nice video link for Mann German filters and the description was for the German designed bypass. They sent me Purolator clones. Cool video though... Mann Oil Filters

Most of the ML-XXXX line is muck like a Purolator Classic. When you see a Mann filter for $3-4 don't expect to get the type MANN makes for their high end customers.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Most of the ML-XXXX line is muck like a Purolator Classic. When you see a Mann filter for $3-4 don't expect to get the type MANN makes for their high end customers.

I just bought a box of them from Rock Auto on close out and they are very heavy and well constructed. They were $3 each. Not sure where you get your information but you are 100% wrong on this one.

Oddly enough, up here, you can. In the country of $6 Frams, one can get actual German Manns for under $5. The Canadian Tire subsidiary, PartSource, has them. Anyone that can get stuff through WorldPac can get them cheap, too. WorldPac seems to only have German Manns, and not North American ones.

I just ordered 10 Mann's from RockAuto @ 2.60 each. Same as a Purolator Classic as far as I can tell, except black colored. The Honda ST1300 bike, and both Nissans will be happy.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I think "got them on close out" is the operative term here...

grin.gif
It is for me....I use as much on sale auto products as possible and stock up. Saves a lot over time.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Good video showing the basic operation of any oil filter.

I'm running the black Mann filters on my Nissan. I have also cut open a few and they look exactly the same as the Purolator Classics I've cut open before. Good filter at a great price (if you can do something about the Rock Auto shipping).

Last edited:
WorldPac only carries the German Manns, they usually have a cross reference on the box for most filters, and explicitly state where its made. We use those almost exclusively, along with Hengst. For most cars our cost is usually around 5 dollars, so its a very decent filter. Weve had Valvoline offer to stock our shelves with filters starting as low as 65 cents!!! No thanks.
I have the WorldPac program if someone would like to know which Mann fits their car, if Worldpac has a Mann application for it. PM if you want

Originally Posted By: Audios
WorldPac only carries the German Manns, they usually have a cross reference on the box for most filters, and explicitly state where its made. We use those almost exclusively, along with Hengst. For most cars our cost is usually around 5 dollars, so its a very decent filter. Weve had Valvoline offer to stock our shelves with filters starting as low as 65 cents!!! No thanks.
I have the WorldPac program if someone would like to know which Mann fits their car, if Worldpac has a Mann application for it. PM if you want

Does a Mann oil filter fit the hondas (accord and civic) and toyotas (corolla and camry) ?
Kindly indicate the website and the filter models to replace in aboev vehicles.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Garak

Oddly enough, up here, you can. In the country of $6 Frams, one can get actual German Manns for under $5. The Canadian Tire subsidiary, PartSource, has them. Anyone that can get stuff through WorldPac can get them cheap, too. WorldPac seems to only have German Manns, and not North American ones.

Hello Garak,
Are these German Manns better than the NA ones ?
And if suitable for the Hondas and Toyotas, would these be better or equal as the Honda original and Tyota original oil filters ?

There should be cross reference information available at the Mann-Hummel website. For Toyotas and Hondas (and just about anything else that doesn't use the same cross reference as European cars), you're going to get an American Mann filter. You can get some indication by the model number.

For the 1991 Audi 200 Turbo - W 719/5
For the 2008 G37 - ML 1014
Ford FL1A cross - ML 1004

From the pictures I've seen, the filter numbers with the ML prefix are American Manns, whereas the Audi's is a German Mann. My supplier can get me German Bosch, German Mann, and German Mahle filters for my Audi, but only American Bosch filters for my G.

I don't know whether one would call the German Manns better than the North American Manns. I don't even know if there is a filter application that is served by both a German Mann and an American Mann. For any application that I can think of, I'd use an American or German Mann with confidence. They're probably at least as good as the OEM filters.

A lot of the German Manns are rather application specific, such as fleece filters for very extended OCIs in Audi, BMW, and Benz. These are extremely pricey compared to the more conventional ones, such as the one for the Audi 200.

Generally, I prefer OEM filters. Sometimes, however, the price is a bit prohibitive or their construction isn't quite what I prefer. I get Bosch for less than half of the OEM Nissan filter, so that's a pretty easy decision. I'd gladly use Mann (German or American) on all my vehicles, if the appropriate part numbers were reasonably available for all of them.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: fpracha

And if suitable for the Hondas and Toyotas, would these be better or equal as the Honda original and Tyota original oil filters ?

They're probably at least as good as the OEM filters.

Generally, I prefer OEM filters. Sometimes, however, the price is a bit prohibitive or their construction isn't quite what I prefer.

So you feel the OEM filters are the best to use unless a price issue, in which case the Mann oil filters will be next in line ?

Originally Posted By: fpracha
So you feel the OEM filters are the best to use unless a price issue, in which case the Mann oil filters will be next in line?

Next in line or pretty darn close. I have a great deal of confidence in the German filters (Mann, Bosch, Mahle, and so forth) and also in the American made versions (i.e. Purolators, regardless of badging). Here, most of the Mann and Bosch filters readily available are for German applications only. Purolator is similarly rare, here, except in Motorcraft badging.

Here's how I look at it, with respect to my G, since it certainly isn't of the German lineage for filter applications like my Audi (where Mann is OEM anyhow), nor as generic as the FL1A in my Ford. The Infinit G37's OEM filter is rather expensive (over $11 from my supplier; I'm afraid to check the dealer), and Nissan OEM filters aren't exactly people's favorite. I like Wix and use it regularly, but it's $8.60 before tax. The Motorcraft version is a tiny bit more money. I get the American made Bosch for under $5. The American Mann is probably very similar - perhaps even identical - but not readily available here.

So, for under $5, it's a pretty easy choice. It's a top quality filter at a decent price. If my supplier had American Manns instead of American Bosch for that application at the same price, I'd have bought them just as quickly. As a matter of fact, as soon as a local supplier started carrying Mann, I went and looked for the G's part number. However, they're only carrying German Manns and I was out of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back