Mann Hummel

Mann Hummel owns and makes several/many different oil filter brands. What do they say their top of the line filter brand is?
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of auto oil filter manufacturer/brands?

Mann Hummel owns and makes several/many different oil filter brands. What do they say their top of the line filter brand is?
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of auto oil filter manufacturer/brands?
Top of line filter if getting the most miles out of a single filter is your objection then it would be the Purolator Boss Featuring exclusive SmartFUSION™ Technology reinforced full synthetic media. PurolatorBOSS provides up to 20,000 miles of engine protection. All that being said the Purolator line is for DIY, M&H branded filters have positioned towards OEM, WIX to the service shops, etc.

https://www.purolatornow.com/en/products/oil-filters/purolator-boss.html

Last edited:
If only the Boss had better efficiency… 99%@46 microns doesn’t cut it. The Purolator One is a better choice, for real life intervals, like 10K or less. Got to watch those Wix/NAPA Golds, too, production has been moving to China & Mexico, with unpredictable effects on efficiency & durability.

If only the Boss had better efficiency… 99%@46 microns doesn’t cut it. The Purolator One is a better choice, for real life intervals, like 10K or less. Got to watch those Wix/NAPA Golds, too, production has been moving to China & Mexico, with unpredictable effects on efficiency & durability.
The fact is it does "cut it". There are many OEM filters with those types of efficiencies. Toyota being a prime example of some testing done previously. The Purolator One is a great filter, I agree, but that "SmartFusion" is nice piece of mind for durability strength in a long mileage run. We'll see here that there is no perfect filter for every situation. A Purolator One should do well for 10k like you mentioned but they asked "Top of the Line" & the Boss fits that description. It's designed to be one of the most durable filters on the market that goes up to 20,000 miles. IMO going over 10k should be using some sort of reinforced media like the Boss or Endurance if you have that option.

Last edited:
The fact is it does "cut it". There are many OEM filters with those types of efficiencies. Toyota being a prime example of some testing done previously. The Purolator One is a great filter, I agree, but that "SmartFusion" is nice piece of mind for durability strength in a long mileage run. We'll see here that there is no perfect filter for every situation. A Purolator One should do well for 10k like you mentioned but they asked "Top of the Line" & the Boss fits that description. It's designed to be one of the most durable filters on the market that goes up to 20,000 miles. IMO going over 10k should be using some sort of reinforced media like the Boss or Endurance if you have that option.
Endurance, yes… For the high price of the Boss, not really a good deal. But, to call the Boss “top of the line” for the price they are, is pushing it, IMO. There’s a LOT of better choices for the same or less $. If Mann was so great, they wouldn’t be getting dropped by their downstream brand names in droves (although I did see Meijer has replaced their Fram Ultras & Tough Guards with Purolator).

Endurance, yes… For the high price of the Boss, not really a good deal. But, to call the Boss “top of the line” for the price they are, is pushing it, IMO. There’s a LOT of better choices for the same or less $. If Mann was so great, they wouldn’t be getting dropped by their downstream brand names in droves (although I did see Meijer has replaced their Fram Ultras & Tough Guards with Purolator).
OP asked about which M&H filter was their "top of the line". M&H does not make Fram filters.

If only the Boss had better efficiency… 99%@46 microns doesn’t cut it.
Yeah, the last level of filtering efficiency you want if you're doing extended OCIs. The longer the OCI, the more efficiency the filter should be in order to keep the sump as clean as possible over the longer OCI.

Yeah, the last level of filtering efficiency you want if you're doing extended OCIs. The longer the OCI, the more efficiency the filter should be in order to keep the sump as clean as possible over the longer OCI.
Toyota says "Hold my beer". :p

My go-to for my Beemer. Seem like good quality. One of the few cartridge filter "kits" that includes the mandatory oil drain plug. If the cartridge filter is purchased alone you may end up paying similar to a second cartridge just for the plastic oil drain plug, so buyer beware!!

Toyota says "Hold my beer". :p
It would be a small beer, Amsoil tested OEM Toyota (Denso?) 50%@50 microns, not a whole lot worse. Anyone who goes 20K on ANY FILTER without cutting them apart & doing it gradually is playing Russian roulette with their engine anyway. When I did it with the old OG Ultras, it was 5K, then 7500, then 10K before I tried going 20K on one.

It would be a small beer, Amsoil tested OEM Toyota (Denso?) 50%@50 microns, not a whole lot worse. Anyone who goes 20K on ANY FILTER without cutting them apart & doing it gradually is playing Russian roulette with their engine anyway. When I did it with the old OG Ultras, it was 5K, then 7500, then 10K before I tried going 20K on one.
Gradually working up to 20k mileage intervals, like you mention, is a good plan for sure.

I think the BR video shows the BOSS is better than what people are saying. It may not meet peoples personal standards but the testing was done equally and I believe the results. Going to the BOSS filter next oil change. Passing on the Toyota.

I think the BR video shows the BOSS is better than what people are saying. It may not meet peoples personal standards but the testing was done equally and I believe the results. Going to the BOSS filter next oil change. Passing on the Toyota.
Also, Ascent testing on a Boss showed 99% @ 34 microns (better than advertised).

Also, Ascent testing on a Boss showed 99% @ 34 microns (better than advertised).
The "ranking" of the Boss by BR doesn't correlate with the ISO 4548-12 test results ranking of the same filters. That's what needs to be understood with respect to the testing. Official ISO 4548-12 testing will always be the believable ranking standard.

The "ranking" of the Boss by BR doesn't correlate with the ISO 4548-12 test results ranking of the same filters. That's what needs to be understood with respect to the testing. Official ISO 4548-12 testing will always be the believable ranking standard.
I stated Ascent's Boss filter testing which was up to that standard, was it not?

Last edited:
You missed the whole point of my post. :LOL: It was about the accuracy of the ranking. Read it again.
I've read it & I've stated several times on this board that Brand Ranks filter ranking can't be compared to ISO testing standards. What does BR video's have to do with Ascent's Boss filters testing at 99% @ 34 microns?

Back