In goes the Eneos 0w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
My interest was peeked when I heard of the Eneos oil, and the timing was right. I ordered 12 qts off ebay for $118 shipped, not too bad. Anyway, it's now in my 2002 Land Rover Discovery. Those old design aluminum V8s seem to like heavy oil, most of my Rover buddies run 20w50 dino.

I drained GC after 5,850 miles to put the Eneos in. First impression is that the engine is making more noise now, but then again GC makes engines the quietest of any oil I've ever heard. I will do a UOA with Terry when I get maybe 3,000 miles on it or so, not drain it, but siphon some oil. I'm hoping this oil will go 8 - 9,000 miles, maybe 10 - 12,000, we'll see.

By the way, I'm sending in a virgin sample to Blackstone so I can know what I'm dealing with when I get the UOA. Chris
cheers2.gif

Whew....$10 per quart in your engine is awfully steep. Nice to see someone brave enough to kick down that kind of $$$. Keep us posted.

Anyone else running Eneos? I was thinking of trying their 0w-20.

Honda F1 is using their 0w-50.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
A case of 6 quart bottles of 0W20 is around $69

Might want to check Toyota 0w-20.

Notice the caution at the end:

Quality grade
API SM

SAE viscosity grade
0W-20

Appearance
Orange

Density (15°C), g/cm3

Flash point (COC), °C

Kinematic viscosity

(40°C), mm2/s

(100°C), mm2/s

Viscosity index

Pour point, °C
–45.0

TAN, mgKOH/g

TBN (HCl), mgKOH/g

Color (ASTM)
L3.5

Caution: The use of this oil in automobiles designed for high-viscosity oils can result in inadequate oil circulation, oil leaks, and other problems.

Last edited:
In April 2000, Japan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport enacted a low-emissions certification system in order to promote the use of automobiles with reduced emissions. Under this system, low-viscosity motor oils are recommended for use in low-emission vehicles (LEVs), which are designed for good fuel economy and good environmental performance. Since the system’s adoption, automobile makers have been increasing their production of LEVs, and LEVs are now marked with the stickers shown below. ENEOS Motor Oil 0W20 is an environmentally friendly gasoline motor oil that provides extremely good fuel economy. Blended with organic molybdenum friction-reducing additives, this oil minimizes engine friction and has a very low viscosity of 0W-20

Low Viscosity (0W-20)
ENEOS Motor Oil 0W20 is blended from high-performance hydrorefined base oils and an optimized additive blend, so it provides much better heat and oxidation stability than regular motor oils blended from solvent-refined base oils. Thanks to its innovative formulation, ENEOS Motor Oil 0W20 achieves a low viscosity of 0W-20, so it enables excellent fuel economy and environmental protection.

Ultralow Fuel Economy to Protect the Environment
In addition to its high-performance hydrorefined base oils and various additives, ENEOS Motor Oil 0W20 is also blended with organic molybdenum friction reducers. As a result, the oil minimizes friction and enables superb fuel economy.

Meets Latest API Standards
The high-performance ENEOS Motor Oil 0W20 has been certified as meeting the latest API SM standard established by the American Petroleum Institute.

● APPLICATION
Motor oil for gasoline engines.

● APPLICABLE VEHICLES
Automobiles for which 0W-20 oils are recommended.

I did run a 5,000 mile OCI with this oil, but did not run it again. I guess I was scared off by all the negative talk here and by that supposed factory rep that was on here and couldn't give a straight answer to any question.

On another note though, I had originally bought 12 qts of the 0w50 and had 6 left over. I put it in two of my quads and have had really good results from this oil in them, all by unscientific methods. Quad oil usually darkens quickly, these air cooled engines run pretty hot. Anyway the Eneos 0w50 hasn't darkened one little bit in 20+ hours of operation and I have had no consumption at all. Further, there is also no clutch slipage at all. I plan to use my remaining two qts when I change atv oil again and may just order more to put in all my quads.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
I did run a 5,000 mile OCI with this oil, but did not run it again. I guess I was scared off by all the negative talk here and by that supposed factory rep that was on here and couldn't give a straight answer to any question.

On another note though, I had originally bought 12 qts of the 0w50 and had 6 left over. I put it in two of my quads and have had really good results from this oil in them, all by unscientific methods. Quad oil usually darkens quickly, these air cooled engines run pretty hot. Anyway the Eneos 0w50 hasn't darkened one little bit in 20+ hours of operation and I have had no consumption at all. Further, there is also no clutch slipage at all. I plan to use my remaining two qts when I change atv oil again and may just order more to put in all my quads.

The 0w-50 is indeed used in Honda F1 cars. These are $2 million dollar engines.

Regarding the large viscosity spread, M1 0w-40 is designed to handle temporary/minor permanent shearing aspects and to handle soot uptake, much like Delvac 1.

as a 0w50, spread wise, is what it is. I like to see a UOA on how this stuff handles shearing!
buster- would Honda F1 really use a run of the mill production oil from a parts store shelf? Think about it. I highly doubt they would use the consumer-marketed 0w50 in their specialty engine. 0w50 may be the viscosity they use from Eneos, but it MUST be specially formulated.

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
buster- would Honda F1 really use a run of the mill production oil from a parts store shelf? Think about it. I highly doubt they would use the consumer-marketed 0w50 in their specialty engine. 0w50 may be the viscosity they use from Eneos, but it MUST be specially formulated.

It appears Max Wander is correct. Press releases from Eneos are very careful to say: "the technologies", "lubricant technology", and "technologies deriving from racing experience."

Quote:
The lubricants used in Honda Racing F1 Team push engine performance to peak levels. And the technologies that ENEOS developed for their competition have now been added to commercial-grade ENEOS oils. Now you can have the lubricant technology perfected on some of the world's toughest stages for your own car. Add the power of motor sports technology to your car. Fuel your dreams.

PRO-RACING
ENEOS Premium Ultra 0W50

Fully synthetic engine oil with supreme quality, featuring refined technologies from Honda racing F1 Team The right choice for drivers who enjoy ultimate driving experience.

API SM/RG
SAE 0W-50

The supreme engine oil from Nippon Oil Corporation. Our latest technologies deriving from racing experience is fully introduced in this high quality oil.

Extremely wide ranged (0W-50), this oil delivers its performance from frigid cold to ultra-high temperature without fail.

A great choice for high performance sports cars and actual racing cars.

Tell me more about this Eneos Oil. I ran GC in my 2004 Discovery and it was the loudest oil I have every put in it. Tap on startup was gone but valve train noise during acceleration was very loud. It just did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Every time I touched the accelerator I could hear the valve train clatter. It sounded like it was low on oil but I checked and the Disco did not consume any. I think I dumped it with 200 miles on it, and switched to a 10w30 with a quart of LUCAS to thicken it up. Now to clean all that out I'm in the rinse phase of the Auto-RX program, with Castrol 10W40.

The valve train noise with the oil warm is almost non-existant, with GC after a 140mile trip the engine sounded cold. On startup it still puts up something of a fuss with 10w40,if I don't warm the engine up. I'm hesitant to go to a XW50 for fear of damaging the cats. The manual say 10w40 or 10w30 if 40 is not available. I've even considered a prelubrication system to cut down on the noise at star-up. Does that oil make any noise at starup?

Quote:
buster- would Honda F1 really use a run of the mill production oil from a parts store shelf? Think about it.

No they wouldn't and they don't. I called them. The oils they use are specially formulated much like the Mobil 1 used in McClaren Mercedes. They are also most likely not 50wt oils. This oil will shear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back