5w30 didn’t save me from the lifter tick

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
My 2015 Dodge Caravan has developed the dreaded lifter tick. I am at around 86k miles and it can be heard during a hot idle.
I’ve used various 5w30 oils, ranging from dino to synthetic right from about 600 miles when I dumped the factory fill.
When it comes to part defects, oil type and viscosity will likely not make a difference

Here is a short vid of how it sounds like. Turn up the volume as it is not loud yet. I’m hoping I caught it early enough that there is no significant cam damage.

My 2015 Dodge Caravan has developed the dreaded lifter tick. I am at around 86k miles and it can be heard during a hot idle.
I’ve used various 5w30 oils, ranging from dino to synthetic right from about 600 miles when I dumped the factory fill.
When it comes to part defects, oil type and viscosity will likely not make a difference

Here is a short vid of how it sounds like. Turn up the volume as it is not loud yet. I’m hoping I caught it early enough that there is no significant cam damage.

Sorry to hear about the tick. Make sure it isn't actually an exhaust tick because sometimes they become confused. The lifter failures are hit and miss. They used to blame improperly heat treated parts. Not sure why a modern 3.6 and a an OE 2012-2014 would still be using improperly heat treated parts. That being said, I know of many 3.6L engined that have upwards of 200k miles without the tick. I believe the trick may be better oils from inception more than better oils upon complaint, although I will probably hear from others that I am flat out wrong and an idiot for advocating for the 3.6 engines in general.

Im not interested in Chrysler touching this, parts are already on order. I narrowed it down to the front bank and will change all lifters and rockers on that side. Warranty would only change the bad one/s.

While I’m in there I will do spark plugs, oil cooler seals and PCV.
They do sell an aftermarket oil cooler assembly that got rid of all the flexible, prone to develop leaks, plastic parts. May be worth it.
Price is everywhere on these....

Last edited by a moderator:
Xw30 has allowed me to delay my timing job for several years on my 5.4 3V. It ran rough at idle with 5w20, fine with 5/10w30.

I think I'm getting towards the end now though. It's acting worse under load now, for example if you go up a steep hill at below 2000 RPM.

A collapsed lifter/lash adjuster may simply be a component failure, and the OP is correct, oil viscosity and quality probably will not make a lot of difference here, assuming reasonable oil change intervals. However, worn rollers, failed roller bearings and/or worn followers/cam lobes are largely viscosity specific issues. Insufficient oil film thickness is the leading cause of failures here. This can be temperature related, and/or oil choice related.

We love to point the finger at ZDDP for past failures, however it is good to note that ZDDP is really there to prevent catastrophe when the oil film is not up to the task.

So, when a frame breaks on a Tundra or Tacoma we say "can't un-Toyota a Toyota", same when the 2AZ-FE starts drinking oil? or is the mud-slinging selective where we only crap on certain brands?

Not to mention that the 3.6 and 5.7 is the bread and butter of FCA and are stuffed in literally everything they build. There are millions of these on the road, even if failure rates as a percentage were identical across brands we're going to see a lot of 3.6 failures on forums just due to sheer scale.

Like the guys who say "I see a ton of f150's in the dump". Yep, but they also sold a ton.

Sorry to hear about the tick. Make sure it isn't actually an exhaust tick because sometimes they become confused. The lifter failures are hit and miss. They used to blame improperly heat treated parts. Not sure why a modern 3.6 and a an OE 2012-2014 would still be using improperly heat treated parts. That being said, I know of many 3.6L engined that have upwards of 200k miles without the tick. I believe the trick may be better oils from inception more than better oils upon complaint, although I will probably hear from others that I am flat out wrong and an idiot for advocating for the 3.6 engines in general.

The exhaust manifold is cast right into the heads, so it’s definitely not that.

I also found small metal shavings in the oil filter about a year ago. I posted about it, there was no ticking back then though. So I suspected the rockers at that time already.
And finally I did confirm the noise with a stethoscope and it’s on the front bank.

So, when a frame breaks on a Tundra or Tacoma we say "can't un-Toyota a Toyota", same when the 2AZ-FE starts drinking oil? or is the mud-slinging selective where we only crap on certain brands?
When was the last time that a new Toyota was made with the 2AZ-FE? Hint: over a decade ago.

The Pentastar is still being produced today. And it seems like the Gen 2's are just as bad, if not worse than the Gen 1's.

How about, “only the brands that mis-manage themselves so badly Fiat can take them over?”

That would seem a fair standard to use.
So, we'll be crapping on GM too then? I mean, nobody was even interested in taking them over.

The big picture question is, what does cracking open the **** and letting the poo fly achieve in these discussions? If the goal is purely to derail the discourse, polarize the thread and end up in it going nowhere and getting locked, well, then I guess, mission accomplished! Otherwise, it seems pretty pointless and unproductive to make a drive-by comment about a specific brand, given they ALL have, and have had, QC issues, which folks are well aware of.

When was the last time that a new Toyota was made with the 2AZ-FE? Hint: over a decade ago.
Why does it matter? folks drag up the god ****ed Vega still and the Pinto, there doesn't seem to be a time limit on dragging when it suits somebody's fancy.
The Pentastar is still being produced today. And it seems like the Gen 2's are just as bad, if not worse than the Gen 1's.
Given we've seen what, 7 revisions of the HEMI lifters? and GM is still having their lifters crapping the bed too (I have no idea what revision they are on), as is Ford, it seems to be a pretty broad problem. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that it's a known and potentially still current issue (his vehicle is a 2015 however) but plugs dropping in just to make absolutely idiotic and needlessly inflammatory comments that add nothing to the discourse is getting pretty **** old.

Xw30 has allowed me to delay my timing job for several years on my 5.4 3V. It ran rough at idle with 5w20, fine with 5/10w30.

I think I'm getting towards the end now though. It's acting worse under load now, for example if you go up a steep hill at below 2000 RPM.
How many miles on your 3V Ford? Just curious.

Not to mention that the 3.6 and 5.7 is the bread and butter of FCA and are stuffed in literally everything they build. There are millions of these on the road, even if failure rates as a percentage were identical across brands we're going to see a lot of 3.6 failures on forums just due to sheer scale.

Like the guys who say "I see a ton of f150's in the dump". Yep, but they also sold a ton.
Yes, Ten million of the first generation 3.6L engines were produced, the OP has one of them. IIRC they've made over 3 million of the PUG, second generation and they're still producing and using that engine. Based on those numbers the failure rate is actually pretty low.

Back