A question that gets a lot of options from the new guy about oil

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum. I have a 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost which I purchased over two years ago. My first turbo engine ever. Just before having it a whole year it went to the dealership and they tore it down. Fixed all the common issues I had found out about the engine. Turbos , shearing exhaust bolts , water pump Etc. All replaced with the new upgraded parts. Didn’t touch the timing chain because it wasn’t having issues. And I don’t want issues. The work order was over $6k. I got off for $200.
The truck had 82,000 miles and now has 92,000 miles.
It actually runs way better than when I test drove it because I didn’t know better. To me it did well for a 6 cylinder. I traded a 2005 and had never heard of an Ecoboost until that day.
Ever since I’ve been searching for the perfect oil. A lot say they help with LSPI but mentioning nothing about other things.
I always make sure I’m getting above Fords specification.
During all my research this forum kept popping up and I have been reading a lot.
Why I haven’t joined sooner I don’t have a clue. This is the place to ask all my questions from my truck to wife’s car to outboard. Even grease.
I’m looking for the best and most recommended oil for my 2016 3.5 Ecoboost . I have searched until I thoiruoly confused myself. I don’t care if I have to order it I want to get 283,000 miles out of this F150 like I did my 2005.
I do believe in the Motorcraft filter but if there’s better I want it.
I’m in Texas and have triple digits most of the summer.
Can I please have some knowledge shared with me?
Thanks for reading plea.

Hi there and welcome 👋

Those ecoboost are impressive engines I never personally owned one but know people who have both good stories and bad with them. You'll definitely find many questions answered here. I would follow a routine maintenance plan what ford recommends at specified intervals. Stick with a good quality oil and filter shop around when you find a sale etc buy up and keep stock.

My suggestions would be on oil,
Castrol edge 5w30,
Mobil 1 truck & SUV Or Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30
Pennzoil platinum 5w30
Valvoline advanced 5w30

Filter choice,
Oe motorcraft
Fram tough guard or Ultra
Wix/XP, NAPA Gold or platinum
Mobil 1

I wouldn't discriminate against the better of the off brand filters such as a micro guard or ecogard synthetic media.

As long as you’re following maintenance and keeping an eye on coolant and cooling system don’t worry about tx heat the cooling system will take care of itself.

Happy motoring (y)

Last edited:
My BiL has a 2015 F150 3.5L eB - gave him a big stash of
Mobil 1 TSUV & and lower psi XG10575’s … he’s been on that stash for years … truck has been trouble free …

Hi there and welcome 👋

Those ecoboost are impressive engines I never personally owned one but know people who have both good stories and bad with them. You'll definitely find many questions answered here. I would follow a routine maintenance plan what ford recommends at specified intervals. Stick with a good quality oil and filter shop around when you find a sale etc buy up and keep stock.

My suggestions would be on oil,
Castrol edge 5w30,
Mobil 1 truck & SUV Or Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30
Pennzoil platinum 5w30
Valvoline advanced 5w30

Filter choice,
Oe motorcraft
Fram tough guard or Ultra
Wix/XP, NAPA Gold or platinum
Mobil 1

I wouldn't discriminate against the better of the off brand filters such as a micro guard or ecogard synthetic media.

As long as you’re following maintenance and keeping an eye on coolant and cooling system don’t worry about tx heat the cooling system will take care of itself.

Happy motoring (y)
Thanks for replying it’s really appreciated.
I’m currently running Mobil1 synthetic 5w30 ep and sticking with oem filters . My OCI is every 5,000 miles and I’m not fallowing Fords maintenance plan I’m doing everything sooner than recommended.
Thanks again for the piece of mind. Glade you had Mobil on the list.
I have been looking at the Pennzoil platinum though wondering if I should change.

Thanks for replying it’s really appreciated.
I’m currently running Mobil1 synthetic 5w30 ep and sticking with oem filters . My OCI is every 5,000 miles and I’m not fallowing Fords maintenance plan I’m doing everything sooner than recommended.
Thanks again for the piece of mind. Glade you had Mobil on the list.
I have been looking at the Pennzoil platinum though wondering if I should change.
You’re welcome. Only if you want to try something different or the pennzoil is cheaper than the Mobil 1 it wouldn’t hurt one bit switching back in future.

Glad they fixed your headaches with tearing it down and putting in the upgrades with little dent to your wallet. Any of the major oil companies listed already will suit you fine with your 5k OCIs... I really like the Fram TGs but when I still owned my 06 Explorer years ago -- I would run Motorcraft oil filters.

Glad they fixed your headaches with tearing it down and putting in the upgrades with little dent to your wallet. Any of the major oil companies listed already will suit you fine with your 5k OCIs... I really like the Fram TGs but when I still owned my 06 Explorer years ago -- I would run Motorcraft oil filters.
When I can’t get a Motorcraft filter I go to frame for synthetic.
As mentioned in another post about the shortage of technicians and parts my truck was there 2 months. I had just detailed it before I dropped it off. It’s shadow black with dark tinted windows no chrome. Looks good all clea up. After I do a complete detailing I keep a California duster in the truck and use it everyday to keep it looking good. Until it rains or I go get it dirty with road grime or something.
Any way when they gave me my keys I went to the parking lot to find it and walked right by it. The dust and dirt was so thick. I got bent. I also detail my engine compartment and it had oil and grease all over.

Back