5w30 didn’t save me from the lifter tick

The exhaust manifold is cast right into the heads, so it’s definitely not that.

I also found small metal shavings in the oil filter about a year ago. I posted about it, there was no ticking back then though. So I suspected the rockers at that time already.
And finally I did confirm the noise with a stethoscope and it’s on the front bank.
You are right but I could have swore that some found exhaust leaks were causing the tick. Maybe I am remembering another conversation that involved another Mopar engine that ticks...Hemi?

So, we'll be crapping on GM too then? I mean, nobody was even interested in taking them over.

The big picture question is, what does cracking open the **** and letting the poo fly achieve in these discussions? If the goal is purely to derail the discourse, polarize the thread and end up in it going nowhere and getting locked, well, then I guess, mission accomplished! Otherwise, it seems pretty pointless and unproductive to make a drive-by comment about a specific brand, given they ALL have, and have had, QC issues, which folks are well aware of.

Respectfully, just let someone have a little joke once in a while like @We're Metals cleverly posted. You are always free to just move along and not start bickering.

The only one dedicate to derailing the thread is you.

Respectfully, just let someone have a little joke once in a while like @We're Metals cleverly posted. You are always free to just move along and not start bickering.

Why the passive-aggressive preface with "respectfully" when clearly none was intended? And JFC, if that's your idea of being clever, I'm not sure the bar could be set any lower.

Do you think your comment:
Oro_O said:
How about, “only the brands that mis-manage themselves so badly Fiat can take them over?”

That would seem a fair standard to use.
Aided in keeping the thread on-track? If so, I've got some bad news for you.

So, when a frame breaks on a Tundra or Tacoma we say "can't un-Toyota a Toyota", same when the 2AZ-FE starts drinking oil? or is the mud-slinging selective where we only crap on certain brands?

Go for it man. It would be a nice break from your usual threads and posts about HPL.

He's just mad because he thinks Chrysler makes perfectly fine vehicles.

@KrisZ Sorry about your van troubles despite using a reasonable engine oil.

FCA made great vehicles. Nothing better than a big v8 in everything you can possibly want to drive, from charger to challenger to wrangler to grand cherokee to durango to 1500 to trx, American muscle at its finest. There are other great American cars and trucks with v8s, FCA just offered the most choice and the highest power outputs.

Do they have slightly less quality? Depends, their interiors have come a long way and the 1500's were best in class for a few years, but more importantly they are cars and trucks I actually want to drive. To me thats worth the extra trip or two to the dealer over the lifetime of ownership vs driving an appliance with no character and no soul.

Go for it man. It would be a nice break from your usual threads and posts about HPL.
Clearly you aren't familiar with my threads or posts.

How many sticky posts have you authored on this board? Exactly. Instead of making laughably bad characterizations of the contribution profile of others, maybe work on providing something of value to the membership?
I'm not mad at all, just tired of low value posters making unnecessary and inflammatory digs in people's threads. These are the equivalent of pre-school level toilet humour, and just as valuable.

This is a help and discussion forum, not Humour or General and off-Topic. If the sum of your ability to contribute is petty snipes at the marques people have chosen to spend their hard earned money on, I suggest simply not contributing. Not only do these sorts of comments not assist the OP, they are a net negative contribution to the threads, often leading to derailment and conflict. We are all better off without these sort of petty trolls being made. Do better.

Vehicles are like any other mass produced item. Things happen.

With that, we have a 2014 Jeep GJ Overland with the 3.6 and 167k completely trouble free miles - not even an air suspension or 4wd issue. I run 5w/30 Synthetic since new. Have a Jeep Gladiator as well with the 3.6 and 54k miles so far so good on 5w/30 syn as well.

Clearly you aren't familiar with my threads or posts.

How many sticky posts have you authored on this board? Exactly. Instead of making laughably bad characterizations of the contribution profile of others, maybe work on providing something of value to the membership?

I'm not mad at all, just tired of low value posters making unnecessary and inflammatory digs in people's threads. These are the equivalent of pre-school level toilet humour, and just as valuable.

This is a help and discussion forum, not Humour or General and off-Topic. If the sum of your ability to contribute is petty snipes at the marques people have chosen to spend their hard earned money on, I suggest simply not contributing. Not only do these sorts of comments not assist the OP, they are a net negative contribution to the threads, often leading to derailment and conflict. We are all better off without these sort of petty trolls being made. Do better.
Yes, and we are all enjoying his 98th post.

I would order at least one of the cams too by the sound of that. Intake cams seem to be more of the problem
It would still be like tossing a coin though and these things aren’t easily returnable. I will have to take a look and if it’s really bad I will put everything back together and order a new cam.

I will not be paying anybody to do this, so extra labor on my part is not a big deal. I will probably inspect the other bank too, even if it doesn’t make any noises at this time. Pulling that valve cover should not be a big deal once everything is off.

How many miles on your 3V Ford? Just curious.
My 2009 is just under 200K miles. So far, so good. However, I use 10W-40 M1 HM. For those who don't know, the Ford 5.4L 3V is utterly intolerant of low viscosity oils, for various reasons, not the least of which are multiple internal leak sources. Such as the oil pump backing plate and the cam chain adjusters. Eventually, this results in zero oil getting to the cylinder head, and catastrophic engine failure.

Yes, Ten million of the first generation 3.6L engines were produced, the OP has one of them. IIRC they've made over 3 million of the PUG, second generation and they're still producing and using that engine. Based on those numbers the failure rate is actually pretty low.
Yeah, the RAM has had stellar sales the past few years. That would not have happened if RAM was junk. People voted with their dollars.

Its not that difficult of a repair, best to do it now vs crying alot more later. Best of luck OP.

Flush the engine and try running Molygen.

Liqui Moly 2037 Pro-Line Engine Flush

Liqui Moly 20232 Molygen New Generation 5W40 Motor Oil

Last edited by a moderator:
Back