Do you prefer quarts or jugs?

Posted by: Realtech214

Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 09:02 PM

Was at BJ's today and saw Mobil 1 in cases of 6 single qts. Price was 26$ not bad at all... Jugs at wally-world are 25!
Posted by: Volv04Life

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Was at BJ's today and saw Mobil 1 in cases of 6 single qts. Price was 26$ not bad at all... Jugs at wally-world are 25!

I only buy brands that have both available. Im not buying a 5qt jug for top-offs...
Posted by: JD4440

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 09:18 PM

My trucks take 6qts so a case of 6 works better for me than a 5qt jug.
Posted by: BHopkins

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 09:25 PM

Price not being a factor, I'm kind of indifferent.

The jug is easier to get to the register and pay for. It is also convienient to have the empty 5 qt. jug to put the used oil in. Plus, it seems a little more environmentally friendly.

The quarts are easier to use. I have a funnel that is shaped for the quart oil bottles, so I can set one in the funnel and let it drain while I open the next quart. Also, and I know there is no logical reason for this, it is just more satisfying to use the quarts. Something about it is nostalgic. While it isn't the same as punching the spout into a quart can, removing the individual lids and resting the quart bottles in my funnel is somewhat reminiscent of using the old quart cans.

I realize that many of you here have no idea what I am talking about, in regards to using the quart cans and the spout. Sorry about that. But for men my age, helping your dad change the oil, by pulling the spout off an empty can of oil, and pushing it into the next can, was just a little bit of a manhood thing. If you don't understand, you need to watch a few episodes of Tool Time.

So, the short answer is, I like them both, price being equal.
Posted by: cos

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 09:34 PM

Jugs - can fit a bunch on the shelf, plenty of room to mark them with dates/uses plus easily mix left over oils in one for a frankenbrew (for lawn mowers and such).
Posted by: JHZR2

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 09:48 PM

I like jugs because then the used oil goes right back in and off to the recycling center. I agree that big jugs are lousy to have to buy for top-offs, but then again, it just draws you in for next OCI.
Posted by: CHARLIEBRONSON21

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 09:55 PM

5qt sump gets a jug. Case of 12 for the other since it burns a lot.
Posted by: geeman789

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 09:57 PM

I HATE! the 1 gallon jugs... every car i have ever owned takes 4.3 or 4.5 quarts...

The 5 quarts jugs are ok, but I like individual quarts better...
Posted by: Mackelroy

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 09:58 PM

I prefer quarts, no measuring, a few pennies in savings not worth the hassle for jugs. I have a 5 gallon can for waste, dump it a once or twice per year at walmart.
Posted by: Kuato

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 10:08 PM

Prefer jugs, except for sometimes spilling a little when you first tip it to the funnel. We do keep a few quarts around for top offs or measuring for fills that are not exact multiples of 4 quarts.
Posted by: Red91

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 10:13 PM

It really all depends on your vehicle's sump capacity. My truck takes six quarts even, so one 5 qt. jug and one individual quart works perfect for me. Also, the jugs make great bolt containers/tool carriers when you are wrenching on your car. wink
Posted by: teddyboy

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 10:13 PM

Being more of a leg man, I've never really been into jugs.

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 10:17 PM

MEEEOOOOWWWW........
Posted by: aquariuscsm

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 10:18 PM

I prefer jugs,large jugs!! Cheers1
Posted by: laserred96gt

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 11:04 PM

As long as the price is right, I don't discriminate.
Posted by: bvance554

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 11:13 PM

If its a 5qt jug, I prefer the jug. 4qt jug, PIA.
Posted by: Merkava_4

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 11:34 PM

A lot of the oil sticks to the inside of the bottle -- that's why I'd rather have just one 5 quart bottle to drain from for an hour.
Posted by: dave1251

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/26/14 11:35 PM

I prefer quarts. My truck has a 7 quart capacity what I try to do is stock up for a couple of years when I can find a sale for quarts.

But if I can not find a sale or using the Pennzoil distributor in Phoenix is not worth the drive. I will break down and go to Wal-mart and buy 2, 5 quart jugs and two individual quarts. So I can change the oil in the truck and for the wife's car that has a 4.5 quart capacity.
Posted by: crazyoildude

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 12:01 AM

price must be the same for me to buy quarts for my personal car my shop uses bulk but i usually change my oil at my home because space is a big issue at the shop
Posted by: RGR

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 01:06 AM

I prefer jugs.

Oh..I'm sorry, are we talking about oil? smile
Posted by: wrcsixeight

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 01:43 AM

The jugs generally come with an attitude, like every engine out there desires them.

Now the pints, the pints and quarts are more appreciative, they try harder, and they age better.
Posted by: David1

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
The jugs generally come with an attitude, like every engine out there desires them.

Now the pints, the pints and quarts are more appreciative, they try harder, and they age better.

Thats a joke correct?

However I have seen the addative package settle to the bottom of the jugs and you would need to give them a shake.

Personally I think there is no difference between the Jugs or the Quarts other then the price.
Posted by: Realtech214

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

Thats a joke correct?

However I have seen the addative package settle to the bottom of the jugs and you would need to give them a shake.

Personally I think there is no difference between the Jugs or the Quarts other then the price.

I belive the oil companies put a lesser quality oil in the quarts!
Posted by: demarpaint

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 05:04 AM

I like quarts better. Especially when they're on sale in an oil change special, which is the only time I buy oil anyway. OTOH if I had to buy oil that wasn't on sale, then I'd go to Walmart and grab a 5 qt. jug.

As far as the quality of the product, the oil in a qt. or a jug is exactly the same. The only difference is how its package.
Posted by: fdcg27

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 07:10 AM

Jugs are great for changes and give you a handy container for the used oil.
Quarts are much handier for adds, although I have done adds with a jug with no funnel and no mess.
Either container size is fine by me, although jugs are typically a much better buy than quarts.
Posted by: wemay

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 07:23 AM

Jugs
Posted by: Cooper

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 07:50 AM

I prefer quarts, but buy jugs because of the price.
Posted by: Bamaro

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 08:58 AM

Nice jugs
Posted by: Dallas69

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 09:10 AM

I understand completely.helping my dad change oil was one of the first car maintainance things I learned.Getting the spout in just right so oil did noy run down the side of the old cardboard qts was my job.
I prefer qts myself but will use both.It takes a little longer useing qts but I am never in a hurry doing an oil change.
New cars now dont require much diy upkeep so boys growing up for the most part dont know much about cars
Now if they want mors hp they just change a chip.
I had to change the cam,intake and carb,add headers,change the curve in the dist. Etc
Thats why about all kids can do now is put big wheels and tires on their cars and crank up the bass
Posted by: Bud

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 10:40 AM

Had to grin at this one. I am old enough to remember changing the oil on my cars using the metal spout on the oil cans for oil changes. My how time have changed, and for the better as far as oil changes.
Posted by: OilNerd

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 10:46 AM

I'm hooked on the 5-qt. jugs from Wally's.

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 10:57 AM

You do realize that cams swaps are just as prevalent now as they were, "in the good old days", right? The tuner chips are just one part of a whole slew of aftermarket modifications including camshafts, ported throttle bodies, resized drive belt pulleys, and superchargers and turbochargers. Young men and women "these days" have just as much(if not more) automotive knowledge in the 21st century as people did in the dark ages of carbs and distributors, both of which should be subject to public execution.
Posted by: fdcg27

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Bud
Had to grin at this one. I am old enough to remember changing the oil on my cars using the metal spout on the oil cans for oil changes. My how time have changed, and for the better as far as oil changes.

I always thought that the metal punch-in spout was more trouble than it was worth, although I still have one.
In the days of cans, I used a church key and a funnel.
Posted by: InvalidUserID

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 02:14 PM

I like jugs. Requires less space than single quarts and I can refill jugs with my used oil to dump at the local parts store.
Posted by: BlindBaby

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 02:55 PM

I prefer quarts just for convenience, but I purchase jugs for the price savings.

If I'm changing oil in something that requires 6qt, I'll buy a jug and a quart.
Posted by: chriscreags

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 04:12 PM

I like quarts. Makes it easier for me to get close to my vehicle's oil capacity.
Posted by: Dallas69

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/27/14 04:34 PM

I know that there are still young folks that can do their own work.when I was in high school I would say that 9 out of 10 guys could tune up their own car and change their oil.
i deal with teens everyday and for the most part they know where the gas goes and thats it.
Its not really their fault.cars just dont need the same maintainance as in the past and if their dad grew up not doing it then they wont be as interested in cars.jmo
Posted by: Garak

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/28/14 05:02 PM

Ideally, I prefer a five gallon pail.
Posted by: sparky123

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/28/14 05:12 PM

Jugs seem to store better on the shelf but I prefer the quart bottles especially when pouring in the engine. Both have their +/-'s.
Posted by: CATERHAM

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/28/14 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Garak
Ideally, I prefer a five gallon pail.

My friend, you must have some pretty impressive upper body strength to hold a 5 gal pail with one hand and a funnel with the other!

I hate even 4/5 quart/litre jugs for the same reason; potentially very messy especially when they are full. I only buy the jugs if there is a significant price savings or no other option.
I then usually pour the contents into some empty qt/L bottles before adding to the engine.
Posted by: Garak

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/28/14 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
My friend, you must have some pretty impressive upper body strength to hold a 5 gal pail with one hand and a funnel with the other!

No, I'm tiny. I use a 5 litre, graduated oil measuring cup I got from Partsource or Canadian Tire. When using five litre and four litre jugs, I learned long ago to have a proper, wide mouthed funnel. wink The one I use now sits just fine in the G's fill hole without being touched.
Posted by: ag_ghost

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/28/14 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Bud

+1; it was VERY satisfying to get it right without spilling any.

Kevin
Posted by: Maxima97

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/28/14 06:01 PM

I prefer WalMart 5.+ Qt Jags. Cheap per Qt. I have several Qt bottle around to add to 7.2 Qt for my LX470. And for my small cars using 4.0Qts, I just pour in 4Qt and leave 1Qt around for add up.
Posted by: TiredTrucker

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/28/14 06:42 PM

I prefer gallon jugs for every thing. My pickup takes 1.5 gallons. My compact tractor takes 1 gallon. And my semi truck takes 10 gallons. For the tractor and the semi, which use the same oil, I refill jugs from a 55 gallon drum. All my oil either comes in 55 drums for the diesels, or a case or more of gallons for the pickup, since it uses a different viscosity

And the drums are great for waste oil. A local outfit takes the oil for use in their shop heater during the winter.
Posted by: Errtt

Re: Do you prefer quarts or jugs? - 04/28/14 06:52 PM

I prefer jugs, but if any of the 3 vehicles ever use oil during an OCI, I would probably carry a quart for top-off reasons. Lucky I haven't had to carry any oil.