Do you prefer quarts or jugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Was at BJ's today and saw Mobil 1 in cases of 6 single qts. Price was 26$ not bad at all... Jugs at wally-world are 25!

I only buy brands that have both available. Im not buying a 5qt jug for top-offs...

Price not being a factor, I'm kind of indifferent.

The jug is easier to get to the register and pay for. It is also convienient to have the empty 5 qt. jug to put the used oil in. Plus, it seems a little more environmentally friendly.

The quarts are easier to use. I have a funnel that is shaped for the quart oil bottles, so I can set one in the funnel and let it drain while I open the next quart. Also, and I know there is no logical reason for this, it is just more satisfying to use the quarts. Something about it is nostalgic. While it isn't the same as punching the spout into a quart can, removing the individual lids and resting the quart bottles in my funnel is somewhat reminiscent of using the old quart cans.

I realize that many of you here have no idea what I am talking about, in regards to using the quart cans and the spout. Sorry about that. But for men my age, helping your dad change the oil, by pulling the spout off an empty can of oil, and pushing it into the next can, was just a little bit of a manhood thing. If you don't understand, you need to watch a few episodes of Tool Time.

So, the short answer is, I like them both, price being equal.

Jugs - can fit a bunch on the shelf, plenty of room to mark them with dates/uses plus easily mix left over oils in one for a frankenbrew (for lawn mowers and such).

I like jugs because then the used oil goes right back in and off to the recycling center. I agree that big jugs are lousy to have to buy for top-offs, but then again, it just draws you in for next OCI.

I HATE! the 1 gallon jugs... every car i have ever owned takes 4.3 or 4.5 quarts...

The 5 quarts jugs are ok, but I like individual quarts better...

I prefer quarts, no measuring, a few pennies in savings not worth the hassle for jugs. I have a 5 gallon can for waste, dump it a once or twice per year at walmart.

Prefer jugs, except for sometimes spilling a little when you first tip it to the funnel. We do keep a few quarts around for top offs or measuring for fills that are not exact multiples of 4 quarts.

Last edited:
It really all depends on your vehicle's sump capacity. My truck takes six quarts even, so one 5 qt. jug and one individual quart works perfect for me. Also, the jugs make great bolt containers/tool carriers when you are wrenching on your car.
wink.gif

A lot of the oil sticks to the inside of the bottle -- that's why I'd rather have just one 5 quart bottle to drain from for an hour.

I prefer quarts. My truck has a 7 quart capacity what I try to do is stock up for a couple of years when I can find a sale for quarts.

But if I can not find a sale or using the Pennzoil distributor in Phoenix is not worth the drive. I will break down and go to Wal-mart and buy 2, 5 quart jugs and two individual quarts. So I can change the oil in the truck and for the wife's car that has a 4.5 quart capacity.

price must be the same for me to buy quarts for my personal car my shop uses bulk but i usually change my oil at my home because space is a big issue at the shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back