Whatever happened to the acetone hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acetone is in the chemical family of ketones.

Ketones can modify elastomers if used in too high a concentration. Just a warning.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
He said one to two ounces per 10 gallons of gasoline is about the correct mix including some Chevron gas treatment, of course and not forgetting to use top-tier gasoline with Chevron being his choice.

A good clean fuel and Techron would do more than any Acetone additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Kestas said:
, why isn't it blended into ALL our gasoline? Why isn't it mandated by federal standards for the good of the people?

Acetone evaporates rather quickly,so I would hazard a guess as to why it is not in general use.
I used it with similar effect as MMO so I went back to MMO as my usual juice.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Acetone is an aggressive solvent. You have all these people so scared of some ethanol content dumping this in their gas? Don't get any on your paint.

Forget about plastic fuel lines, and fuel hoses, oh, and that plastic fuel tank? This stuff will deform and destroy those materials if used often enough. Don't waste your time.
shocked2.gif

Quote:
And that's the only data you will have, as there is no actual study or test that shows any improvement. Look for one, there aren't any. There are only ones that show either no effect or a reduction in fuel economy.

Wrong.

One of the four wheel drive magazines in that time period had a test of 4 of the popular home additives for mpg .IIRC they had a fleet of jeeps for their test beds.Acetone was the only one that showed consistent mpg gains.However the magazine noted that after 3-4 months the jeep mpg went back to the pretest avg.The theory was that the engine computer adjusted itself.But there you go.

Originally Posted By: urrlord
Wrong.

One of the four wheel drive magazines in that time period had a test of 4 of the popular home additives for mpg .IIRC they had a fleet of jeeps for their test beds.Acetone was the only one that showed consistent mpg gains.However the magazine noted that after 3-4 months the jeep mpg went back to the pretest avg.The theory was that the engine computer adjusted itself.But there you go.

I was referring to controlled scientific studies such as by the DOE or EPA, which are mandated to study possible fuel additives. The ones I've seen show either no MPG gain or a slight decrease.

I don't know what to make of it. I had a site stored on my other computer but it showed the testing of Acetone. Showed a torque curve based on how many oz to 10gal. The sweet spot was about 2.5oz per 10gal. Any more and it curved over and started going down. They also recommended mixing it with MMO in a safe bottle cause it will melt some plastics. I experimented with it for a time cause I was going up and down the Boston mountains 4 days a week. Just didn't notice enough. It's touchy stuff. You pretty much need to be on a low tank and add it first. I wondered if you didn't use it right away, would it evaporate on you diminishing it's potential benefits. I also wondered if it could compromise a head gasket. I just went back to using Berryman's B12 every 3,000mi. That's my experience here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Acetone is in the chemical family of ketones.

Ketones can modify elastomers if used in too high a concentration. Just a warning.

Translation, it'll eat your plastic gas tank. Which is what I said several posts ago.

Quote:
And that's the only data you will have, as there is no actual study or test that shows any improvement. Look for one, there aren't any. There are only ones that show either no effect or a reduction in fuel economy.

Wrong.

And that data is...?

Remember, it can't just be an "increase", it has to be statistically significant.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I find 3ozs/10 gallon of MMO neatly counteracts the ethanol drag in our cars. Just sounds silly to try acetone in my mind - ).

Ethanol drag? That's just dumb.

Any kind of oil in the gas finishes combustion in the cat and cokes it up. Oil has many more combustion byproducts than gas and gas has a lot more than alcohol. Try burning gas in your food warmers.

Im really sick of all the dumb stupid slander of ethanol.

Funny thing is alot of fuel additives seem to reduce the performance initially while being used in a tank. Ethanol could have enhanced the performance if the carmakers would let that happen. I'm not for or against ethanol just saying. IMO

Ethanol is the whipping boy for the ignorant. They just love to blame ethanol for any fuel related issue. Ontario mandated 10% ethanol in gasoline in the very early 90s and a quarter of a century later, everybody just keeps chugging along.
My only issue with ethanol is that it's made from corn instead of some organic waste material.

My experience with acetone has been positive. I put 3 oz. of Acetone, 3 oz. of Xylene and 2 oz. of TCW3 in 10 gal. of gas. I spoke with a chemist and he told me that the Acetone will break the surface tension of the gas that is injected into the cylinder which produces a finer mist which in turn will burn more completely. Gas already contains a small amount of Xylene so adding a few ounces more only increases the ratio a very minor amount, but the Xylene counter acts the negative mileage effect of the ethanol. The TCW3 is only there as a TCL. Does the mix increase mileage? In my case, yes. My car is EPA rated at 23 City and 31 Highway. I get 29-31 City and up to 45 Highway. Plus as someone stated, the Acetone absorbs any water in the fuel. I've been using Acetone for years and have never had a fuel system problem. Regular Acetone (it's not pure) purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot does not seem to work. The chemist suggested I get pure Acetone available at any beauty supply store, and it does work. YMMV.

Acetone, 3 oz. of Xylene and 2 oz. of TCW3 in 10 gal. of gas. I spoke with a chemist and he told me that the Acetone will break the surface tension of the gas that is injected into the cylinder which produces a finer mist which in turn will burn more completely. Gas already contains a small amount of Xylene so adding a few ounces more only increases the ratio a very minor amount, but the Xylene counter acts the negative mileage effect of the ethanol. The TCW3 is only there as a TCL. Does the mix increase mileage? In my case, yes. My car is EPA rated at 23 City and 31 Highway. I get 29-31 City and up to 45 Highway. Plus as someone stated, the Acetone absorbs any water in the fuel. I've been using Acetone for years and have never had a fuel system problem. Regular Acetone (it's not pure) purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot does not seem to work. The chemist suggested I get pure Acetone available at any beauty supply store, and it does work. YMMV.

Quote:

Wrong.

Yes, I've see that back to normal, after adding wet ethanol in tank. In the begining the ecu was giving a better than before mpg and after a few tanks it went back to normal mpg... Are they tuned to give a higer than needed consumption (rich over estoichiometric)? Since ethanol decreases btu, in that period of new fuel making better that before mpg, I was running on the lean side of estochiometric and it didn't hurt a thing besides oil co interests...

Originally Posted By: Kestas
, why isn't it blended into ALL our gasoline? Why isn't it mandated by federal standards for the good of the people?

I don't advocate for acetone, but NOTHING is "mandated for the good for the people".

Our run-a-way, out of control government does not operate like that at all.

They would mandate it if there was extra money in it for them.
Anyway, I did try adding acetone for consecutive trips to our camper 72 miles away. Same route, same speed etc. Results were inconclusive. My mpg only varied by a couple miles so I just stopped using it.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Kestas

I don't advocate for acetone, but NOTHING is "mandated for the good for the people".

Our run-a-way, out of control government does not operate like that at all.

Amen brother..
The middle class gets fed lines of bullbleep which they are supposed to accept at face value. What the government DOES is what lobbyists are paid to deliver for their clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back