Marine is better than Automotive?

Help me understand... The more I think about it, the less sense it makes, and the more confusing it gets...

An Internal Combustion Engine is an Internal Combustion Engine. For the sake of the following questions let's forget the emissions systems, although I guess they have a pretty good chance of being at fault here, unless I'm overlooking something else.

- Is Marine version more concentrated than Automotive version of the same product?
- Or is Automotive ICE so demanding that it requires much more product to be used to achieve similar performance? (HIGHLY doubt this one...)
- Why does 8oz of Automotive Star Trone only treat 48 gallons of fuel, while Marine formula treats 120 gallons? At only $2 more for the similar 8oz bottle?!
1000013968.jpg

1000013966.jpg

- It seems that Marine one is more concentrated and offers better corrosion protection, while they're both offering 2 years of fuel stabilizing properties. So why even have the Automotive version? Marketing? Or is Marine one dangerous for a road driven ICE? Well it clearly says: "OVERDOSING IS NOT HARMFUL"...
- I have seen exactly the same signature on the Techron lineup: Marine version treat a whole lot more fuel than the automotive version.
- Another case on point is Stabil. The Marine version treats 400% more fuel at only 90% increase in cost for the same 8fl oz.
1000013962.jpg

1000013964.jpg

- If the Marine versions are such better values, why not use them in recommended dosage in all gasoline engines? Star Tron says "WORKS IN ALL GASOLINE ENGINES." So what's the catch? Is it fine to use in my scooter and OPE equipment? Any harm in using it in my Lexus GS300? (No cats)

Alright. Tell me what I'm missing here.
-Stabil Marine: 1oz/10gal ($13)
-Stabil Storage: 1oz/2.5gal ($6)
-StarTron: 1oz/6gal ($8)
-StarTron Marine HD: 1oz/15gal ($10)
What's the catch?

You answered your own question. Some years ago I spoke with a Stabil tech. that seemed informed. I use the Marine Stabil for vehicles and OPE.

Whether they work or are needed is another question. If it feels good..................

I've been getting the regular startron ,but I might switch to marine now that I know it treats more gallons.

It is really impossible to tell without specific chemical analysis of the ingredients in each formulation. Who knows? Maybe it is all the same product with different dye/labels. It would not shock me if it was merely marketing hoopla under the guise that gasoline for marine applications require a lower concentration/dosage than automobiles. Does anyone recall seeing any information that discloses the actual chemical concentration of the active ingredients in each bottle (not stabilizer/gas dosage ratio)?

Marine versions are more concentrated.
Car gas tanks 20 gallons
Marine gas tanks for a 18 foot boat will be around 25 gallons, boats around 24 to 29ish feet and higher start at 75 galllons to 175 gallons would be typical and higher of course as size gets larger.

It’s all marketing, I assume the chemical cost pennies.
A bottle of marine can treat most marine gas tanks and a bottle of automotive is enough for car gas tanks.
They’re selling the “treatment” per bottle/vehicle since it takes a lot more product for a marine tank.

Most car owners will take the less expensive purchase price and not analyze except BITOG people 🙃

Ps for some chemicals it is possible for POSSIBLY more corrosion protection for a boat. As another pointed out but impossible to know.. I typically grab whatever is available for my boat regarding fuel stabilizer. Since I have a smaller boat any will do.

Last edited:
Disappointed in Stabil gasoline treatment products. After disassembly of my generator carburetor (wouldn’t run) and the corrosion inside, I’m switching to Star Brite Marine Fuel Treatment.

For marine applications, to add another variable, many marine engines are diesel not gasoline. (Mine is a Universal M25, like early Kubota tractor engine). When looking at oil they clearly state "diesel oil", e.g. Rotella and Delvac. Assume these are fundamentally different to gasoline engine oil?? Anybody? So although label specifies "gasoline" engines in the photo, is this just so manufacturer doesn't restrict the market, or is there a diesel specific additive required for diesel engines? Just trying to understand and educate myself on the differences now I will be servicing my diesel engine in addition to multiple gasoline (car, suv, motorcycle) engines. First foray into the world of diesel!

I've been using the marine version of Stable for many years in my lawn mowers. That and alcohol-free gasoline.

I've been using the marine version of Sta-Bil (the blue stuff) for decades in every tank of outboard, motorcycle, and snowblower gasoline and have not had a carburetor problem since I began doing so. The new version of Sta-Bil 360 Marine rated one of the best by Practical Sailor for corrosion protection too. None of the stabilizers actually do much if you have too much water in your ethanol gasoline, but the corrosion protection may help prevent major carb problems. Here's one article on this subject: https://www.practical-sailor.com/systems-propulsion/gasoline-additives-in-the-e-15-era

Give PRI-G a try , it’s more concentrated than any of the other fuel stabilizers that I’m aware of. I’ve used in in engines that haven’t been started in a few years and gasoline that was stored for 5 years with no problems at all.

Back