Extending life of gasoline by storing under argon

I’m planning on buying a few gallons of 100LL to use as a additive in my antique motorcycle. I only need to add a fuel ounces per gallon. In terms of extending life of the fuel, I was going to add Stabil. Since gasoline degradation is a result of oxygen, would storing it under an argon atmosphere extend its life.

My plan is this. Fill a few empty premixed gas cans I have with 100LL (with Stabil added). Then use Argon to displace any oxygen. The argon should stay in the can since it’s heavier than air.

I’m planning on buying a few gallons of 100LL to use as a additive in my antique motorcycle. I only need to add a fuel ounces per gallon. In terms of extending life of the fuel, I was going to add Stabil. Since gasoline degradation is a result of oxygen, would storing it under an argon atmosphere extend its life.

My plan is this. Fill a few empty premixed gas cans I have with 100LL (with Stabil added). Then use Argon to displace any oxygen. The argon should stay in the can since it’s heavier than air.
Interesting, how do you know that? You mean to achieve a desired octane rating? If so, how do you know what you've reached?

What is the additive purpose? or What is 3oz per gallon of 100LL going to do?

My Physical Chemistry is kind of rusty, but I believe this will not reduce the partial pressure of gasoline vapors above the liquid.

How about storing the gasoline in an airtight container?

My Physical Chemistry is kind of rusty, but I believe this will not reduce the partial pressure of gasoline vapors above the liquid.

How about storing the gasoline in an airtight container?
No it won’t.

Reactions in impure substances (such as oxidation in gasoline) is only partly affected by ambient conditions. There is undoubtedly auto-oxidation which will occur in the gasoline no matter the atmosphere.

It won’t hurt to blanket it with an unreactive gas (nitrogen would be just as effective) but keeping the temperature as low as possible would help a lot more.

I've thought of doing this too but for diesel fuel in my tractors that I don't use regularity. Don't know if argon, co2 or nitrogen would be best?

They sell inserting gas cans to spray over paints and finishes to prevent oxygen and side reactions.

If truly a sealed can, no reason that wouldn’t work here too. Other side reactions may still be in play.

Thing is, paint is one thing. Not sure I’d want to store gasoline like that in a way that would facilitate interness and non-access of air. You’re making a bomb.

It probably would help a little, but as stated will need to be closed, tight container...........so hot cold...........will be an issue.

Not just O2 though. H2O vapor as well. Must be metal or glass - inert impervious. Then maybe bomb factor...........

And with metal need anti-corrosion additives

I would just buy enough for two or three years, add stabilizer to it, store it in a cool environment, and not worry about it.

If you're only mixing it at ~100:1, it doesn't really matter if it "goes bad". It will still contain the lead that your engine needs. If it oxidizes a bit, or the lighter components boil off, it really isn't going to effect the performance of the final mix of fuel.

I buy gasoline without Ethanol for my seldom used engines and don't add stabilizers.

I have stored gasoline in airtight metal gallon containers. Yes, they do develop pressure, but I never had one "bomb" on me. In fact, I have stored gasoline in hefty glass jugs (old acid bottles) for years tightly capped with no issues.

They sell inserting gas cans to spray over paints and finishes to prevent oxygen and side reactions.

If truly a sealed can, no reason that wouldn’t work here too. Other side reactions may still be in play.

Thing is, paint is one thing. Not sure I’d want to store gasoline like that in a way that would facilitate interness and non-access of air. You’re making a bomb.
They sell ethanol free gas and premix gas in air tight containers.

They sell ethanol free gas and premix gas in air tight containers.
That’s true, it all depends upon how much you want to store. I buy those premix for one property of mine, but I don’t have more than a gallon or so…

I do see in your op you mentioned a fee premixed cans. Thst woukd be my path as well if I was doing what you did.

Boy that’s long winded but okay. Also remember that the concentration of TEL in 100LL is capped at a maximum in order to achieve a minimum octane rating. If the feed stock is already a higher rating then comparatively less TEL is used. But it seems as though it may not matter as long as some lead is present.

Back