Ethanol-free Gas Causing Hard Starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has me scratching my head. Like most I typically fill up the bike with the usual ethanol 10% premium commonly available, in particular Marathon 93. Three times now when I've been low I've tried filling up with a local regional retailer's ethanol-free 91. The Duc's manual says 91 octane or better. The DVT engine ('15 and '16) is equipped with knock sensors on head and will pull spark timing if need be. Anyhow, all three times now that I've put in the ethanol free 91, the bike simply does not want to start when cold. Not a cranking issue, spins just fine. Won't catch and barely fires. To get it started I have to old school it and open throttle quickly when it tries to fire and it will sputter around and idle-up and eventually idle hands off but will hunt up and down almost dying for 10 secs or so before leveling off into a normal idle. Like a carbed bike needing choke or something. By cold I don't mean temperature necessarily as much as first start of the day.

However, when the tank contains the usual 10% ethanol 93, this doesn't happen, and the bike starts normally. Should note that "normally" means it fires off on the 2nd or 3rd revolution, idles up and hunts very slightly up and down for 5 or ten seconds but not markedly and evens out at specified idle speed of 1200 fairly quickly.

I am wondering why this is happening on ethanol-free premium. The station is relatively recent and so I wouldn't suspect some contaminant in the storage tanks. Plus, once past the the initial idle situation and warmed up, the bike runs well on the ethanol-free.

I have heard that Ducati has the DVT for the US market "tuned for [10%] ethanol blended gas." Could this be why the pure gas is flubbing cold starts? Pure gas causing an overly rich condition and flooding?

Starting issues are not directly a problem created by a lack of ethanol, but by the vapor pressure being wrong. The fuel is most likely not changing state to a gas, but is puddling.

Not that it makes any difference......But ethanol is not directly the issue.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Rand
old stale E0?

I agree with this

+3

Especially if it's at a price premium, people won't see E-zero as being "good" and with it stale or wrong RVP, they're right.

You guys are right, stale and vapor pressure makes sense. The symptom of behaving like it's flooding from the get-go makes perfect sense regarding the vapor pressure issue. I think you nailed it!

The E0 91 is even priced about 30 cents/gal above mainstream ethanol blended premiums, no telling how old it is.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Starting issues are not directly a problem created by a lack of ethanol, but by the vapor pressure being wrong. The fuel is most likely not changing state to a gas, but is puddling.

Agree 100% and lower VP on hot day is good thing also curious if plug gap is correct.

Wow I never thought I'd find someone else with this problem.

In my case it happened in my old F150 with a 4.2L V6. Here in OK we have a lot of stations that offer E0 gas typically in 87 octane.

I owned the truck since before the ethanol mandate so it had an early life with E0. Once the mandate kicked in I had to use E10 and didn't notice any difference except for mileage.

Then we started getting E0 back at the pump so I switched.

Within a year or so I started to notice that the engine would take a LOT longer to crank over on E0. It ran fine once it started up.

I assumed the problem could have been water in the tank from condensation so I ran a bottle of HEET through it. Once the HEET was in the fuel, the engine cranked over like normal.

On the next tank I put E0 back in and had trouble starting until I put in another bottle of HEET.

Long story short it never ran OK for the rest of its life. Not sure if E10 screwed up the ECM learning or what but I eventually just filled up with E10.

We don't have alcohol in our fuel, but when we went unleaded in the '90's, things got hard to start. I normally shut my fuel off and run the carbs dry, so it always starts with fresh fuel.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Agree 100% and lower VP on hot day is good thing also curious if plug gap is correct.

Bike still new, paper dealer license still on it. Fuel injection, lambda (oxygen) sensors, knock sensors, MAP sensors (speed density method of EFI), evap emissions system (charcoal canister).

So if there is some water in it and you fill with the usual ethanol blended stuff, will there then be a high risk of Phase Separation happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back