Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of maybe trading in the Dodge.

Ive been contemplating the Following:
VW Golf GTI or R
Subaru WRX (not so much STI)
and a VW CC Sport as well

Something sporty, fun, etc

GTI, hands down. I can't abide the boy racer exterior of the STI, the [censored] interior, the ride, or the cost.

Edited to say: drive both. You'll know right away which one you prefer.

Edited again to say: I'd avoid a new CC. They haven't changed much at all since it was introduced and your money would be better spent on a certified with VW Drive Easy. Or just a used one out of warranty; we never had much trouble out of the CC.

Last edited:
Awd > Fwd

I would prefer a "boy racer" Subaru (preferably the new wrx with turbo FA engine), instead of driving an unreliable grocery getter. Faster than GTI, better handling, better sporty car overall.

And yes, I drive a sporty fwd because it's been my daily driver. I wouldn't buy it if I was looking for a weekend warrior.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Thinking of maybe trading in the Dodge.

VW Golf GTI or R

There's a big price difference between these..how much do you have budgeted for a car?

Also consider the Ford Focus ST and RS.

The Golf Family (Golf, GTI and R) did get motortrend car of the year in 2015. The long-term testing fared well too.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2015-volkswagen-golf-is-the-motor-trend-car-of-the-year/

Last edited:
interesting timing(from my perspective)...
just the other night my brother said he was thinking of trading in his 2016 EB mustang(just purchased in sept) on a WRX... apparently some of his subie driving coworkers have been working on converting him

It's a matter of personal taste and preference. Call the dealers and arrange a LONG test drive of at least 24 hours. Take it to work, take it to school, whatever, but use it like you would in real life.

No 10 minute test drives...

I owned a 2007 WRX I bought new and currently have a 2013 I bought new. Don't listen to those who are thinking a VW is a POS compared to a WRX. The WRX is no pinnacle for reliability. The new WRX, GTI and Golf R are awesome cars. The Golf R is made in Germany, the GTI is now made in Mexico. The VW's are better as far as comfort and refinement goes. The WRX is also an awesome car but it's not as comfortable, refined and dare I say luxurious. I'd pass on the CC. If you like to drive aggressively and want a more sporting experience, I'd get the WRX.
What you need to do is test drive all three and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
I think this is a highly individual choice. Basedon reviews they both seem like solid bets. I agree with SteveSRT8..and do your research as well beforehand. I would prefer a wrx but its not saying the vw is not a great option.

If you're asking an Internet forum to tell you which car to buy, you'll never be happy with it. It doesn't matter what I think but since you asked..

I'd get the WRX, but I don't have experience with them. I dislike VW, I have always thought they were the most overrated piles of junk. They always had the "throwaway" look in my eyes.

So much personal taste there. GTI and WRX are quite different and as a current owner of a 2005 Subaru Legacy with WRX motor I'd try both and see what appeals. GTI is a comfy car that also is fun to drive. WRX is well a hoot to drive.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
VW Golf GTI or R

As was noted earlier, these are all quite different, so go out there and drive them all. That should help you narrow it down.

However, in general, the CC will be a lot less sporty/fun than the other two.

2014 used charger with the stellar pentastar 3.6 v6 and add some suspension and ex upgrades. That should be cheaper and better than anything and of course anything is better than that the fiat giulietta/Dart. Test drove an sxt Dartand ran out of that car screaming JUNK!
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back