WRX or GTI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
This order

Golf R
WRX
GTi

I agree; I loved my 2007 MS3, but after nearly nine years of FWD I was ready to go back to RWD- or else try something AWD. In my case the STI was just a bit too similar to my MS3 in overall feel and the Golf R was rejected due to the hopeless ineptitude of the local VW dealers.

I can provide input. My gf has a Dart and hates it. We are looking to get rid of it soon. I own a pretty modified Focus ST. We have test driven the STI, WRX, and GTI. I have a friend that owns a CC.

She likes the STI the best, but not the price as it's $36k. The '16 has a very nice interior and some creature comforts. You know all the other stuff. The engine, the noise, the 4wd, the wing. The best.

Second favorite and leading candidate is the GTI. It rode well, was reasonably quick, interior was much nicer. Really nice creature comforts and the car would make a great daily driver. A 4 door GTI SE with the performance package is under $32k.

Focus ST is a cool car, but lets say the build quality is lacking. I have a 2014 and the new ones have a better infotainment system. Fun daily driver and inexpensive compared to the rest.

I liked the STI and the WRX. The AWD is interesting to me, I just do not like how they took away the unequal length headers on the WRX motor and killed the classic Subaru sound I love.

CC is nice, but is a land barge.

Focus ST or RS?

Not a fan of Subaru..other than cheap AWD, I never saw the appeal to them. and certainly not of VW lately...do you really trust them?

Seriously try the Focus, and if you can go small, the Fiesta ST, they are both a gas.

Originally Posted By: quantim0
Focus ST is a cool car, but lets say the build quality is lacking. I have a 2014 and the new ones have a better infotainment system. Fun daily driver and inexpensive compared to the rest.

interesting

New Golf R and get stage 1 tune 323 WHP and 360 WTQ . Destroy pretty much every car on the road. Sub 4 second 0-60. 2015 GTI also responds incredibly to an ECU tune, 291 WHP and 367 WTQ .

Originally Posted By: quantim0
I can provide input. My gf has a Dart and hates it. We are looking to get rid of it soon. I own a pretty modified Focus ST. We have test driven the STI, WRX, and GTI. I have a friend that owns a CC.

She likes the STI the best, but not the price as it's $36k. The '16 has a very nice interior and some creature comforts. You know all the other stuff. The engine, the noise, the 4wd, the wing. The best.

Second favorite and leading candidate is the GTI. It rode well, was reasonably quick, interior was much nicer. Really nice creature comforts and the car would make a great daily driver. A 4 door GTI SE with the performance package is under $32k.

I liked the STI and the WRX. The AWD is interesting to me, I just do not like how they took away the unequal length headers on the WRX motor and killed the classic Subaru sound I love.

CC is nice, but is a land barge.

Avoid the STI, still has 20-year-old [censored] engine.

The new WRX is great, comes with a totally new turbocharged engine, and it's way more reliable than STI's EJ25.

I'm not sure how much this relates but I recently detailed a friend's XV Crosstrek and I was literally afraid I was going to break parts under the hood, mudflaps, etc just by cleaning them; they were so flimsy. Not to mention the sheetmetal on the roof was so thin it deflected at the slightest pressure. I guess my point is even if the Subaru is more reliable on paper, beware of the difference in build quality, it's stark.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I owned a 2007 WRX I bought new and currently have a 2013 I bought new. Don't listen to those who are thinking a VW is a POS compared to a WRX. The WRX is no pinnacle for reliability. The new WRX, GTI and Golf R are awesome cars. The Golf R is made in Germany, the GTI is now made in Mexico. The VW's are better as far as comfort and refinement goes. The WRX is also an awesome car but it's not as comfortable, refined and dare I say luxurious. I'd pass on the CC. If you like to drive aggressively and want a more sporting experience, I'd get the WRX.
What you need to do is test drive all three and decide for yourself.

The years of WRX you owned definitely lacked refinement. The new WRX has upped it's game quite a bit and is not comparable.

OP, I think the ST is worth considering too, though it's not my taste. If you are into the 4cyl turbo thing I would look at the ecoboost mustang.

Rear wheel drive and they rip

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
OP, I think the ST is worth considering too, though it's not my taste. If you are into the 4cyl turbo thing I would look at the ecoboost mustang.

Rear wheel drive and they rip

..until the unbalanced drive shafts destroy bearings in the diff... (my understanding based on the 3rd hand symptom descriptionsi've gotten)
of course that my just be my brother's unit.
2016 EcoBoost, auto, with the performance pack. purchased last sept.
within the last month or so, he started feeling a strong vibration, and hearing a grinding/growling noise while driving.
last weekend, he put the car up on blocks, rev'd it up, and the whole car was shaking.

apparently a known issue, but ford hasn't found a fix/issued a TSB yet, and when the cars are coming in, it's the old, "we can't find anything wrong" routine.

some guys he works with have subies, and while trying to help him diagnose the problem, have taken him out for a quick Hoon/joyride, and now he is considering trading in the mustang(and selling his other 2 mustangs) and buying a WRX.

I don't know new VW, but my needs were an AWD car under $30K new. I didn't want FWD. I didn't want an SUV. My last new VW was a Scirocco and I should not use the bad taste of that car to say anything either way. All I know is I am very happy with my first Subie.

My fairly loaded 2014 WRX hatch was under $30K with tax and everything. I have gone on some very nasty roads in the winter with no issues and tons of fun. I primarily bought the car as a non-boring, small commuter that gets me there in the winter. It has done this so far, with no issues.

Nick, I know you had a bad experience, but they are not all bad. Granted, they are no Toyota either, but that can be a good thing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nick, I know you had a bad experience, but they are not all bad. Granted, they are no Toyota either, but that can be a good thing.
smile.gif

I know, but my aunt's 2013 VW Beetle TDI w/40k miles hasn't shown to be any better.

Nick1994 should be complaining about modern diesel reliability. VW's 3rd gen TSI is pretty solid. Sorry you owned a TDI newer than 2003.

I loved the GTI power and ride, but the seats were less comfortable than a regular golf and i decided i had to have the wagon version. The regular 1.8 with a manual is pretty strong and challenges the traction available in FWD with stock tires.

That being said i would want the Golf R if i had to have a fast VW, but those are hard to buy and get sold for over MSRP. I paid waaaay under invoice on my wagon. Dealership that shipped me my wagon had just shipped a Golf R to a customer paying 5k over sticker, a deal that saved the customer 5k over his local state, lol.

I would probably look at a Mustang (5.0L GT Base model for me) or a 1SS 2016 camaro if i was willing to go into the 30k+ range. Are you really going to get into an STI when you can get a 455hp V8 for a similar cost? The advantage of natural aspiration and the longevity of the V8 should be reason enough. How many people selling used STI and WRXs that claim to have just rebuilt the engine or purchased a new shortblock? I see it far too often.

We had a 2013 GTI, manual, Autobahn. It was a fun little car, drove nice no problems but it wasn't my idea to spend $30k on a little hatch when you could get a V8 Camaro SS or Challenger R/T for the same money.

GTI or WRX? I'd go GTI for sure.

Huge price gaps between the GTI and STI. I would look for a good deal and go for the GTI. I've seen some selling for about 26-27k, and for me, a "base" GTI has more bells and whistles than I would ever need.

This really comes down to bang for the buck for me though. I rarely see anyone getting a deal on an STI. And a 6-8 thousand dollar price difference is too much in my eyes when comparing the two vehicles.

If I were spending over $35k my eyes would be looking in a different direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back