To trade in or not to trade in

OP posts one of these threads every 3 mos or so, he's already made up his mind and for some reason he's looking for validation from us.

OP posts one of these threads every 3 mos or so, he's already made up his mind and for some reason he's looking for validation from us.
I definitely do not need your validation. Go drink a cold brew and simmer down. 🤣

If you want to move on, trade it.
If it still suits you keep it.
Easy call, just involves $$$.

If you want to move on, trade it.
If it still suits you keep it.
Easy call, just involves $$$.
My big fear is how fragile and problematic the engines are as they age. Everything I read doesn't lend to their longevity.

My big fear is how fragile and problematic the engines are as they age. Everything I read doesn't lend to their longevity.
Subbies aren't nearly as fragile as many seem to think. A WRX is maybe not a Corolla, but there's no reason to think that engine death is imminent, especially if you've had the car for some time and don't beat on it.
Any car can suffer engine death at any time, but they usually don't and I suspect this WRX may have quite a few miles left in it.
There is no way of knowing for sure that this engine will endure for many more miles or not, but that is true of any 200K engine.

Hes a one man automotive wrecking crew.....
Maybe your R line has a better tuned suspension? I am glad you have had a good experience - we could all use a bit of that.

But No, VW did a fine job wrecking it for me. Dealer right out of the box installing the incorrect oil because they wanted to use up their bulk A3 syrup.
Then the rear coil springs (recalled) replaced because they can fracture and cause loss of control.
Car never drove correct after. Head scratcher that, Had VW align it. No improvement.

Suspension so soft I bottomed the car out on the freeway on S.E. expressway (around Boston), All four corners float and slam. Fahrvergnügen !

I will add in that I don't l appreciate the axle-breaking wheelhop in the MT cars . Major design issue when pulling into traffic with a small engine turbo when you add in rain slick or slushy roads. O.E. Falken Sincera might last maybe 15k miles with easy use.
Poor water drain management in door and trunk, large ice chunks freezing them shut in the winter. Poor rearward visibility with small slanted rear window and tiny side mirrors. Better keep that rear cam clean.

But comfortable front seats, decent ergonomics, good HVAC and radio and BT,, nice brakes if a bit overboosted. Big trunk - but no spare tire.

Good high speed highway cruiser for under 20K. Great MPG. I got mine when the S trim were going for about $17K out the door. But I took the super- cheap lease at the time.

- Your experience may well be better. I just use and report without bias. But know that it is rough and challenging country up here in the Winter. Not a fanboy of anything - except maybe PEARS bath soap, lol.
I don't need to defend my choices or any particular marque - good or bad.

-Ken

I’ve said this many times here. I have 3 F150’s. The oldest one (2009) is the best one, by a lot too. Sometimes the features and driving dynamics you like are year specific.

But at 200k miles, that wonderful
old truck is going to be the first one to go. Private sale only. And I’ll do my best to find one that is as pleasant.

Sell it privately. With that mileage, a dealer is just going to take it to auction so you won't get nearly as much as you would by selling it yourself.
Yeah the dealer will say it's not worth anything, try to give you $2,500 for it then turn around and sell I for $8,000.
But yeah Subaru are junk.
Only get a VW product of you like having a car that needs a mechanic to work on it fairly often.

Sell it yourself if you can. Is it all stock, one-owner, adult driven? That'll command a better price than the typical six-previous-owners, highly modded hooptie WRXs on the market. The 2011 body style isn't most people's favorite but it does have its fans.

Yeah, that's OK with me though, I always like talking cars.

As a general rule, I am not a fan of keeping an older non classic vehicle forever. At some point, modern cars become maintenance headaches. And I've made the case many times that the cost per mile of a well purchased new vehicle is not more than 5 to 7c per mile more.

But I will echo the points above. Never again VW. Never. My Jetta was the only new car that left me stranded, BIG TIME, 3X during the first year. And while VW made it right, the list of issues was legendary. Gave the thing away.

But I will echo the points above. Never again VW. Never. My Jetta was the only new car that left me stranded, BIG TIME, 3X during the first year. And while VW made it right, the list of issues was legendary. Gave the thing away.
I find this so troubling. I believe you. Could you have gotten a flooded Jetta?

My buddy just went with the same thing with his 2006 WRX had 200,000 on it. I was in great shape, but had a bunch of drivetrain problems. Dealer gave him 2600 buck for it on a 2021 WRX. I think he got a decent deal on the new one.

There is no way of knowing for sure that this engine will endure for many more miles or not, but that is true of any 200K engine.

But engines that have greatly increased oil consumption tend to continue degrading at a faster rate than those that haven’t. Plus all that oil running through the catalytic converter is asking for trouble.

But engines that have greatly increased oil consumption tend to continue degrading at a faster rate than those that haven’t. Plus all that oil running through the catalytic converter is asking for trouble.
Not necessarily so.
Original Saturn models developed heavy oil consumption early and yet suffered no further issues out to quite long mileages. No systemic cat poisoning either, although that wouldn't matter in a state without inspections or emissions testing.

I find this so troubling. I believe you. Could you have gotten a flooded Jetta?
No, purchased it new and it was absolutly pristine no way it had damage, just poor quality and poorly assembled. The valve body in the transmission failed at the 3 week mark. Right in the middle of a big intersection in the FL summer. There she sat until the flatbed scooped her up. Shortly thereafter the fuel lift pump in the tank, the rear brakes both locked up at the 12,000 mile mark and the dual mass flywheel came apart, damaging the bell housing. Also wideband O2 sensor failure, motorized throttle body, and a number of other items I can't remember.

In the end VW covered the issues, and because it was in the shop so much and for so long, they covered the payments. That was over and above, and appreciated. But I got a lemon and got rid of it when the flywheel failed. It was just not worth dealing with.

Back