Land Rover Defender Td5 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAPS level, HTHS, TBN...and experience from users, some have done UOA, etc.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 is probably better suited to be used in a diesel engine in harsh condition (does your engine has EGR?), others are primarily designed to light duty diesel.

There's not much I can add, the mobil Delvac is perfectly suited to your engine, so unless you want something thinner for the winter or are experiencing some issue, you can stick with it. If you want to try something thinner, then the other oils on your list are perfect too, there's no "bad" oil in your list.

Edit: should I be able to buy Mobil Delvac 1 5W40, that's what I'd use in my diesel. And M1 0W40 in gasoline engines.

Delvac 1 in 5w-40 is fine for the winter, too, as Charlie notes. I have used 5w-XX oils for most of my years in our climate, and temperatures do dip below -40. And, as you see in my signature, I have no concerns about using Delvac 1 in a gasoline engine.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
(does your engine has EGR?)

No, it is removed immediately when the car was new
whistle.gif

Very very good. I'm happy for your answers.

What oil change interval should I keep?

Typically with the car I rarely do short trips (usually do at least 50 to 100 km), often mountain roads. Normal use for this type of car in general. I do 15k km a year and change the oil religiously every year with cartridge and centrifugal filter.

The TD5 was supposed to be a VERY long drain car, with the advanced centrifugal filter PLUS cartridge filter, correct?

With a good synthetic oil for Diesels (of any sort - no DPF or catalyst fitted, and the TD5 met the up and coming emission regs back in 1990 or something without issue), I can't imagine it being an issue with this clean, efficient little powerhouse.

Long highway runs, even through hilly terrain are pretty easy on oil compared to stop-start, hot-cold work, so keep an eye on things - but 15k a year is about 9000 miles, which doesn't seem too long for a good oil.

bismillah,

I've went through some of the lube match web-sites in UK and Switzerland for this engine and I can see that they suggest ACEA A1/B1, ACEA A5/B5 oils:

1. Shell

2. Castrol

A further search on forums indicates that this engine is indeed speced for ACEA A1/A5 (5W-30, 5W-40, 5W-50) oils:

- http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=43085

Handbook says to use a 5W/30, 5W/40 5W/50 or 10W/40 meeting ACEA A1/B1 or B2.

- http://www.defender2.net/forum/post58934.html :

The Rave Workshop Manual for TD5 say ACEA A1 & B1 for 5W/30, 5W/40 or 5W/50.

My recommendation would be to stick with what the manual says and use ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 with the current viscosity you are using (5W-40). A preferred oil will be with the ACEA A5/B5 spec since it has more strict demands for engine wear protection.

Since you are living in Italy and quite close to me I can recomend this place to shop for oil: http://www.gommadiretto.it/cgi-bin/oshop...s_p=olio_motore . They normally do not charge for the delivery so the price you are observing on the web-site is 'all included' price. The list of oils with A5/B5 specification: http://www.gommadiretto.it/cgi-bin/oshop...icle_disabled=1

Originally Posted By: B320i
The TD5 was supposed to be a VERY long drain car, with the advanced centrifugal filter PLUS cartridge filter, correct?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
If your engine has a centrifuge filter (probably a Mann-Hummel)

Exactly, I have cartridge filter and a Mann-Hummel centrifuge filter

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
bismillah,

I've went through some of the lube match web-sites I can see that they suggest ACEA A1/B1, ACEA A5/B5 oils

Yes, i know. A5/B5 is the substitute of A1/B1 that is a class of oil with the same spec of A3/B3 (classical oil) but with HTHS min 2,9 max 3,5 and with gradation steer to fuel economy..

Since I am more interested in well maintaining my engine instead of fuel economy, it's all over.

Hi,
bismillah - I have millions of Kms experience with these wonderful filtration units.

You probably have the FM016 model filter, and Range Rover/Mann Hummel (Federal Mogul) confidently went to 20kkms OCIs. This is probably very conservative when using such a lubricant as Del 1 5W-40. A UOA will help you settle on a OCI that may be well beyond 20kkms

In my case (in a different environment to yours) I had the FMO60 model and using Del 1 5W-40 settled on 90kkms OCIs, cleaned the centrifuges every second OC and went to 60micron SS FF filters. The lubricant's condition was always first rate!

Hi,
Shannow - Yes it was a standard fitment from 1998 on the 4x4 Discovery. Mann-Hummell Fed Mog worked alongside Land Rover in the development of the 2.5 Ltr Diesel engine

These are excellent filters with versions suitable in engine applications up to 7500kW

Wow, I learned something new, thanks...

Given that they have a centrifuge, and given that the ones on the 'net are around 10k, and most under 250,000km, and your 90k OCI...they must really be a bargain.

As we are on the topic I would like to ask this: in Italy as good quality spare parts I find the two filters, the cartridge and the centrufugal made from Mann (pictured above) or Mahle.

The Mahle code are:
LPX100590M Mahle Oil Filter
ERR6299 Mahle Filter Rotor

I have always used Mann but what's the difference? What to choose?

Hi,
bismillah - both are of the highest quality and both are OE suppliers to the German motor industry. Your call

Is the Velodromo Vigorelli still functioning in Milano? I raced there in the World Cycling Championships in 1963 as a Sprinter

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Is the Velodromo Vigorelli still functioning in Milano? I raced there in the World Cycling Championships in 1963 as a Sprinter

I really do not know as it is on the other side of the city. Sometimes they take the dust off and make some little event. Nearly unused
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back