Gone to running all filters for two intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found myself with more vehicles than drivers and have now moved to time intervals over mileage. Sometimes, I have less than 1500 miles on a 6 month oil change. That said, it would be perfect not to change oil filters till every other time. Just don't think I could do it though. Doesn't feel like a oil change with a old filter. My 1994 Dodge Ram owners manual said that the oil filter change was only required every other time. That shocked me.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Ask Honda? is that the company with lubrication related VTC actuator noise and chain wear?

Amsoil found this out the hard way with their 25k filter

Honda is the Co. that has a high tech reputation, and many, many 300K+ mile vehicles on the road. Their "lube issues" you mentioned does not appear to involve a filter.

Also, no one suggested "25K". I said "10K", or two 5K intervals. For me, this has worked perfectly well.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I have found myself with more vehicles than drivers and have now moved to time intervals over mileage. Sometimes, I have less than 1500 miles on a 6 month oil change. That said, it would be perfect not to change oil filters till every other time. Just don't think I could do it though. Doesn't feel like a oil change with a old filter. My 1994 Dodge Ram owners manual said that the oil filter change was only required every other time. That shocked me.

For infrequently driven vehicles I never change the oil more often than once a year. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

For infrequently driven vehicles I never change the oil more often than once a year. YMMV.

I ve thought about that. I have to change the oil in the Dodge every 6000/6months for the Lifetime warranty to stay in effect. The Lincoln my 17 YO daughter drives, so it sees its share of miles. The Fords don't get drive much and I might go to Synthetic 0w40 in the FX2 and go to yearly changes, that would be less than 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Ask Honda? is that the company with lubrication related VTC actuator noise and chain wear? Amsoil found this out the hard way with their 25k filter
Honda is the Co. that has a high tech reputation, and many, many 300K+ mile vehicles on the road. Their "lube issues" you mentioned does not appear to involve a filter. Also, no one suggested "25K". I said "10K", or two 5K intervals. For me, this has worked perfectly well.
Meh, even if you went past 10K, there are several of us who ran FRAM Ultras for the full 15K and even beyond (17K and 19K). For me, there would be no difference in you using a filter for two 7.5K intervals, versus me running it for one 15K. I see no issues with what you are doing as long as the filters are of adequate quality.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

If you're among those who worry about pre-filling a new, dry filter with oil, this is also one less dry start that you have to deal with. I am not sure dry starts really matter, though.

I think the greatest risk of getting particle embeddment in the bearings is
1.During engine assembly
2.Dirt introduced during filter changes.

If you change filters every other oci, you might cut the risk of dirt introduction in half.

3. Dirt introduced during oil changes.

If you don't change your oil, you might cut the risk of dirt introduction in (insert made up percentage here).

How a filter looks is meaningless. How the media flows isn't something you'll get from cutting a filter open.

This. I do a fair amount of deep frying for fun, and I filter/reuse the oil. I can't tell when the filter (I use coffee filters) gets clogged by looking at it... but the flow certainly changes. Filling up the filter can with junk and clogging the pores in the media are two different things.

This is an on-going disagreement. The only way to settle this is:

1. A pressure drop test to determine if the filter clogs enough to kick it into bypass.
2. A particle filtration test to determine particle filtering efficiency.

I am quite sure that Fram has this data from testing their Ultra filter OR Honda should have this data, which is why they recommend every other OCI's. Rather than argue about this and use old wives tales, is there anyone here that can supply REAL DATA?

Originally Posted By: philipp10

1. A pressure drop test to determine if the filter clogs enough to kick it into bypass.

I am quite sure that Fram has this data from testing their Ultra filter OR Honda should have this data, which is why they recommend every other OCI's. Rather than argue about this and use old wives tales, is there anyone here that can supply REAL DATA?

Manufacturers like Fram and Purolator use the ISO 4548-12 test specification to determine exactly that.

Back in 'o3 my new Accord 2.4 was 15k or 20k FCI. Oil 7.5k or 10k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Manufacturers like Fram and Purolator use the ISO 4548-12 test specification to determine exactly that.

ok, so where is the data?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

ok, so where is the data?

They won't give you all the detailed data. If you want to pay an independent test lab about $5,000 per filter test you can get that detailed data.
smile.gif

I keep reading about Honda recommending changing oil filter every other OCI. GM does too on my old 92 Cutlass. But that is for normal driving conditions. In reality most vehicles are in the severe category because sitting in traffic jams, city driving, and etc, so they should be changed every time. Now if you are using a super duper Fram Ultra, or a filter of that caliber then yes I think you could do it two OCI's or whatever to pinch a penny, but I won't.

Automotive Oil Change Intervals
Severe vs. Normal Driving

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I keep reading about Honda recommending changing oil filter every other OCI. GM does too on my old 92 Cutlass. But that is for normal driving conditions. In reality most vehicles are in the severe category because sitting in traffic jams, city driving, and etc, so they should be changed every time. Now if you are using a super duper Fram Ultra, or a filter of that caliber then yes I think you could do it two OCI's or whatever to pinch a penny, but I won't.

if I had a nickle for every time someone claimed "severe driving"....Since when is idling and city driving so "severe"? Sounds like what most auto engineers would call normal usage.

if I had a nickle for every time someone claimed "severe driving"....Since when is idling and city driving so "severe"? Sounds like what most auto engineers would call normal usage.

Agreed, for the most part. The only situation I'd say the above conditions would constitute 'severe service' would be during extreme temperatures, such as Phoenix in August (117 degrees ambient, and dusty), or Minnesota in January, when it's nearly constantly sub-zero temps for weeks.

Frankly, I drive my daily driver 80 miles round trip to work in Phoenix in the summer, at 70-75MPH, and I don't consider that 'severe service' - The engine rarely breaks 2500 RPM.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Agreed, for the most part. The only situation I'd say the above conditions would constitute 'severe service' would be during extreme temperatures, such as Phoenix in August (117 degrees ambient, and dusty), or Minnesota in January, when it's nearly constantly sub-zero temps for weeks.

Frankly, I drive my daily driver 80 miles round trip to work in Phoenix in the summer, at 70-75MPH, and I don't consider that 'severe service' - The engine rarely breaks 2500 RPM.

Even Arizona at 117 should not be severe. After all, every car has a cooling system. I would think short tripping in Minnesota in January might be severe if the car never warms up. But even then, how does that affect the life of an oil filter?

Contact the Filter Council, and tell them you need to do their papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back