Motor oil and oil filter cost.

I like Havoline ProDS for the smart change boxes, and Mobil1 has been my go-to forever.

I don’t know that ANY oil is really cheaping out that much as long as it meets the required specs.

Reactions: STW
Oil is a relatively very inexpensive part of car ownership IMO. I don't think everyone needs top tier synthetic oils, but it can't hurt to use them. I can never wrap my brain about people that buy new cars, then cheap out on oil because they want to save $1.00 per qt. To each their own.
There is a big chasm between perceived better and truly better performance and protection. Much of that is market position and advertising and now social media blowup. How do we really know?

I guess, "It aint blowed up yet!' is a start.

I am firmly in the camp of 10 bucks or more an oil change is not going to bust my wallet. I try different products when not satisfied, and then stick with what meet my expectations and requirements. But I am not maintaining a fleet of vehicles or requiring a bulk purchase for an auto repair shop where you have a strict cost target. - Ken

I was at Walmart today and noticed that the 5 quart jug of Royal Purple 0w20 and 5w20 was 26.97.... Seems like a good price...
Their "starburst" oil looks just like a previous gen Valvoline, but that purple dye is hypnotising
Disclosure: RP is purportedly blended by Calumet Specialty Products Partners
PQIA elemental analysis -

Paying more doesn’t necessarily translate to getting something better. It more than likely just makes you feel better, unless there is supporting data to back up the better claims. It is fine to just say it makes you feel better or that you like something. Just understand that claiming “cheap insurance” to justify the emotion decision doesn’t thereby make it logical.
I'd have to agree. I am guilty of the "feeling better" syndrome. I realize that any certified synthetic oil and name brand filter will suffice. I just enjoy buying boutique oils for some of my cars. It pleases me.....and it's my money, so who cares? The dealer oil change would charge me $125 for whatever bulk oil they provide. For the same price (or slightly less) I can use a super good boutique oil/filter and know that the job was done right. At 6 month intervals that's pretty cheap for the year.

I'd have to agree. I am guilty of the "feeling better" syndrome. I realize that any certified synthetic oil and name brand filter will suffice. I just enjoy buying boutique oils for some of my cars. It pleases me.....and it's my money, so who cares? The dealer oil change would charge me $125 for whatever bulk oil they provide. For the same price (or slightly less) I can use a super good boutique oil/filter and know that the job was done right. At 6 month intervals that's pretty cheap for the year.
We all do it in someway shape or form. I used to be brand loyal to Quaker State. Until one day I realized it was only because I saw my dad use it. I couldn’t tact any other reason for being so loyal to it. It was just the comfort of what I was used to seeing I guess. Funny enough he is a Mobil1 guy now. Go figure.

20230426_104205.jpg

I am just the opposite. Why spend a few bucks more for something that has no proven benefit?

Does the $29/jug of Mobil 1 EP oil do anything more than the $21.50 jug of Supertech Advanced Synthetic oil in the timeframe/mileage being used? Both are 20,000 mile oils (which almost no one will use for that mileage).
Same for the filter. Is there really a difference in using a basic Supertech filter for $3.50 vs a Fram Synthetic Endurance For $13?

You could go the "expensive" route and spend $42, or the "cheap" route and spend $25, and would bet have the exact same engine life.
$820 in 100,000 miles vs $500 in 100,000 miles if you change the oil every 5,000 miles (probably the median of most here).
Sure it is only $320 more over that mileage, but what did you gain for that $320?
"Peace of mind"?
OK, good for you.

Me personally, I still have a stash of ~$0.50 qt synthetic oil of various weights and manufacturers.
Once that is gone, I will buy the cheapest API rated oil and a Fram orange can or Supertech filter and drive my vehicles, not worrying about the engine life based on what oil I use.

Changing the oil and filter on a regular basis (based on several factors) has more to do with engine life than what oil and filter you use or how much it cost.

I was at Walmart today and noticed that the 5 quart jug of Royal Purple 0w20 and 5w20 was 26.97.... Seems like a good price...
Well they were still there today so I picked up 4 5 qt jugs at 26.97 each. I always use Mobil 1 but I know that this is a good oil also...Could not pass it up..

that is the most honest reply I have seen on this thread. You are not in denial, you are not insecure, you just want to do it and that is great way to look at it.. :)

1) I too did many 3K oil changes using 10W-30/40 and random filters on different cars; no problems.
2) I prefer good quality, familiar name oils (Castrol, Mobil1, Klondike, Valvoline) of the correct grade/spec. That's all.
3) Who here would buy cheap oil? I want names! (ha-ha)
4) Resorting to mfr brand transmission/PS fluids etc. for peace of mind is my luxury.
5) Thanks to this place, I'm the only guy in my circle who is aware of differing coolants. They call me all the time.
6) If it's our turn to be price gauged, there's little you can do about it. So if my $28 oil change becomes $36-$40, I'm not crying like so many.

Back