Gone to running all filters for two intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: philipp10
I keep reading about Honda recommending changing oil filter every other OCI. GM does too on my old 92 Cutlass. But that is for normal driving conditions. In reality most vehicles are in the severe category because sitting in traffic jams, city driving, and etc, so they should be changed every time. Now if you are using a super duper Fram Ultra, or a filter of that caliber then yes I think you could do it two OCI's or whatever to pinch a penny, but I won't.

Automotive Oil Change Intervals
Severe vs. Normal Driving

if I had a nickle for every time someone claimed "severe driving"....Since when is idling and city driving so "severe"? Sounds like what most auto engineers would call normal usage.

Contact the Filter Council, and tell them you need to do their papers.

well it seems to me it would be in Fram's best interest to publish their findings....if they want to sell more Ultras.

well it seems to me it would be in Fram's best interest to publish their findings....if they want to sell more Ultras.

They publish the ISO 4548-12 test efficiency and also specify a use duration for all their filters. That's more than most do. Motorking here on the board has given some flow vs delta-p data for the Ultra, which is a bonus since you'd never get that info by calling Fram directly.

I keep reading about Honda recommending changing oil filter every other OCI. GM does too on my old 92 Cutlass. But that is for normal driving conditions. In reality most vehicles are in the severe category because sitting in traffic jams, city driving, and etc, so they should be changed every time. Now if you are using a super duper Fram Ultra, or a filter of that caliber then yes I think you could do it two OCI's or whatever to pinch a penny, but I won't.

Automotive Oil Change Intervals
Severe vs. Normal Driving

if I had a nickle for every time someone claimed "severe driving"....Since when is idling and city driving so "severe"? Sounds like what most auto engineers would call normal usage.

Contact the Filter Council, and tell them you need to do their papers.

"This study, brought to you by the same people that sell oil filters..."

If a man was selling a car, and he said that he changed the oil filter every other oil change, I would immediately walk away. But that's just me.

Count me in on that idea. False economy to ditch maintenance because you're cheap.

Originally Posted By: Cecil

If a man was selling a car, and he said that he changed the oil filter every other oil change, I would immediately walk away. But that's just me.

Count me in on that idea. False economy to ditch maintenance because you're cheap.

It is not false economy.

I would be the opposite when buying a car from a PP... especially for a Honda/other vehicle that specifies the every-other filter because that tells me they read the manual. I would be immediately suspect if folks say they religiously changed their oil every 3K... because they are lying and/or never did any proper maintenance/no clue about a car. Then again, I worry less about the oil and look for neglect/issue elsewhere.

I alternate the filter for my MR2 and '99 Subaru. Mostly because the MR2 only gets 2.5-3K miles a year. I change the oil once every early spring and the filter every two years.

Even cheap-filters go 7,000-10,000mi without much issue (Save Purolator). I have fleet vehicles that do the 7,500 interval on conventional/blend and a jobber filter and I have never had a engine related failure. Normally the electronics, tranny (Ford) and everything else go first.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
[...]
32.gif
Say Doc, should your handle now be "PresentDoc"?

Ok, so I have a vehicle with 65,000 miles. It also has 8,000 hours on the engine and nearly 2,000 additional idling hours. About 10,000 hour total. How many gallons of fuel have I used? Ok, mpg is about 8 when rolling, 1.5g per hour of idle (higher rpm).

So, 3000g of fuel from idling, 8125 from driving: total 11,125g ... in 65,000 miles. So if I was at the highway usage for 95% (assume 55mph average speed) and 16mpg, the vehicle could have traveled 612,000 miles for the same amount of fuel consumed. So yeah, for the work the engine has done, I could have driven nearly 10X worth of miles in a highway scenario. So each mile of mine is several times worse on the vehicle... I also go through brakes every 12-15K. So, this is a diesel... so take what you will

Idling is engine use without factoring in you "mileage" per OCI. Factoring in just 25 miles per hour of idle (which is optimistic in my case), you could tack on an extra 55K worth of mileage unaccounted for in the OCI on a vehicle only reading 65K mi on the odo.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
[...]
32.gif
Say Doc, should your handle now be "PresentDoc"?

Kinda, yeah. I still like the handle

It was a nickname from marrying into a family with a "Doc". Father-in-law is "Doc", I married his daughter "LittleDoc", and "FutureDoc" was given because the 2+ year engagement... all before before I started my PhD.

Kinda, yeah. I still like the handle.
Indeed--I am just kidding. Congratulations on your accomplishment. I went straight from BSIT/ISS to MS/CIS and almost to PhD, but decided to stop at MS. I had "graduation remorse" for a while (after studying so hard for 6+ years) that I decided to write a novel in my spare time..heh.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Indeed--I am just kidding. Congratulations on your accomplishment. I went straight from BSIT/ISS to MS/CIS and almost to PhD, but decided to stop at MS. I had "graduation remorse" for a while (after studying so hard for 6+ years) that I decided to write a novel in my spare time..heh.

Yeah, I went straight through. Standard 4 years for the bachelors, 2 for a professional Masters degree (59 credit hours), and then "only" 4 years for my PhD (I think I was the youngest grad in the program and only 1 semester being the "fastest" grad). Then I tacked on a year-long postdoc before leaving academia behind and doing other things. So 11 years is all I could take. 6 years with a tenure process at a research university was not my thing so I left to deal with ancient government vehicles. Fun.

I have also been running most of them for two intervals.

The most recent one though has me a bit concerned.

I used a short version of a Defense for close to entire OCI on a 2009 Escape 3.0L going by the OLM with 15w-40 from my stash for the last 6 months.

My concern is that I recently drained the oil and replaced it with the specd 5w-20 and left the same filter on. I just don't remember if it was an e-core or not. I'm afraid it will fail before the next interval is up if it was an e-core. Am I stressing for no reason?

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
I have also been running most of them for two intervals.

The most recent one though has me a bit concerned.

I used a short version of a Defense for close to entire OCI on a 2009 Escape 3.0L going by the OLM with 15w-40 from my stash for the last 6 months.

My concern is that I recently drained the oil and replaced it with the specd 5w-20 and left the same filter on. I just don't remember if it was an e-core or not. I'm afraid it will fail before the next interval is up if it was an e-core. Am I stressing for no reason?

It should be fine. Don't worry about it.

Ok, so I have a vehicle with 65,000 miles. It also has 8,000 hours on the engine and nearly 2,000 additional idling hours. About 10,000 hour total. How many gallons of fuel have I used? Ok, mpg is about 8 when rolling, 1.5g per hour of idle (higher rpm).

So, 3000g of fuel from idling, 8125 from driving: total 11,125g ... in 65,000 miles. So if I was at the highway usage for 95% (assume 55mph average speed) and 16mpg, the vehicle could have traveled 612,000 miles for the same amount of fuel consumed. So yeah, for the work the engine has done, I could have driven nearly 10X worth of miles in a highway scenario. So each mile of mine is several times worse on the vehicle... I also go through brakes every 12-15K. So, this is a diesel... so take what you will

Idling is engine use without factoring in you "mileage" per OCI. Factoring in just 25 miles per hour of idle (which is optimistic in my case), you could tack on an extra 55K worth of mileage unaccounted for in the OCI on a vehicle only reading 65K mi on the odo.

Point taken. I always figured when people mentioned idling that is was considered bad for some other reason. Cars should really come with hour meters like boats.

I don't know what "severe" service is. I used to think the VW engines in our buggies had it rough but I'm not so sure. They are always run up to temp, stay at full temp for a long time, and aren't ever under much load (800-900 lb. buggy puttering along in 1st gear).

I think the only truly "severe" service I've seen is the work vans around the various school campuses I've attended. They are started, run for about 30 seconds to move a few dozen feet, then turned back off. There was one van that ran with no water or antifreeze for years (leaker), because it never once ran long enough to even start to get hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back