Do these oil filters look normal?

Hi all, I have a 2009 328i for about 4 years now. It has lots of miles (226k) but runs mint.

I started off using Mann filters (because OEM), but then decided to try the Wix XP and was impressed by how well it was put together. It has a wire mesh on the inside, and just felt much more durable than the Mann, and I kind of figured it was an overall upgrade. So I used those for a while.

Then I came here to learn stuff as I do periodically....and as often is the case, left more confused. I learned that the XP actually doesn't filter as well by design, and that it's pointless and maybe even counter productive to run it if you're not doing extended intervals. I change my oil and filter every 5k miles with Liqui Moly 5w40 (Molygen)

I would have never bought a Fram normally, but the ultra was often recommended here so I decided to try it out. I bought two. One of them had something sticking out of it, it looks like fishing line. Is this a concern? I don't want to pull on it in case it unravels lol

The other one looked normal so I used it, and just changed it out yesterday. It looks partially collapsed...is this normal or a concern?

I'm trying the Mobil 1 filter now so let's see how that holds up. I'd go back to Mann but they switched production to Mexico. Does it actually matter? Honestly reading about all the buyouts is overwhelming. Wix always been a safe bet, also bought out? What am I supposed to use? Is Mahle still a reputable brand?

Thanks for any advice (and listening to my rant!)

PS. A family member has a 2016 Lexus IS300. (I don't think y'all got that in the US, but it has the 2GR-FSE, just detuned compared to the 350 model). Should I just buy oil filters from the dealer? I put in 0w20 Molygen in it last time, okay to stick with that?

If you want to stick with a higher quality (Wire Backed, High Efficiency) then visit your walmart & grab the Fram Endurance which is their newest high tier. It may have some excess glue though as I've seen lately. Visit Fram's site to get a part number first & search WalMart. That string looks like it needs to be trimmed off with a knife.

Hi all, I have a 2009 328i for about 4 years now. It has lots of miles (226k) but runs mint.

I started off using Mann filters (because OEM), but then decided to try the Wix XP and was impressed by how well it was put together. It has a wire mesh on the inside, and just felt much more durable than the Mann, and I kind of figured it was an overall upgrade. So I used those for a while.

Then I came here to learn stuff as I do periodically....and as often is the case, left more confused. I learned that the XP actually doesn't filter as well by design, and that it's pointless and maybe even counter productive to run it if you're not doing extended intervals. I change my oil and filter every 5k miles with Liqui Moly 5w40 (Molygen)

I would have never bought a Fram normally, but the ultra was often recommended here so I decided to try it out. I bought two. One of them had something sticking out of it, it looks like fishing line. Is this a concern? I don't want to pull on it in case it unravels lol

The other one looked normal so I used it, and just changed it out yesterday. It looks partially collapsed...is this normal or a concern?

I'm trying the Mobil 1 filter now so let's see how that holds up. I'd go back to Mann but they switched production to Mexico. Does it actually matter? Honestly reading about all the buyouts is overwhelming. Wix always been a safe bet, also bought out? What am I supposed to use? Is Mahle still a reputable brand?

Thanks for any advice (and listening to my rant!)

PS. A family member has a 2016 Lexus IS300. (I don't think y'all got that in the US, but it has the 2GR-FSE, just detuned compared to the 350 model). Should I just buy oil filters from the dealer? I put in 0w20 Molygen in it last time, okay to stick with that?

The usa does have the IS300 not sure why you thought it isn't sold here.

Rather than arguing about spelling of a country name, why don't we focus on the OPs true question ...
What's the little string in the photo?

I believe it's a part of the filament that Fram uses for the backing of some filters. Certainly would be of concern if it came loose on the output side of the filter. I'd ask about returning it and getting another.

Auto parts are frequently counterfeited and misspelled names are often a clue.
agreed, but in the first photo (the filter with the string) there's clearly English printed on the filter. And in the second photo, it's clear that it's printed in two languages; that's very "normal" for legit products.

Legit or not, his question was about the "fishing line". Not the printed spelling.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

That string is part of the plastic mesh backing that Fram uses for their Ultra cartridge filters. Just cut the extra string off :)

Fram also makes an Endurance filter with metal wire backing, FE10075

A lot of aftermarket cartridge filters are poorly designed or poorly manufactured. For your BMW, you should stick to Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filters.

Back