Diesel fuel filter replacement interval

For guys and gals driving a diesel car/truck or using any diesel equipment, how often do you replace your fuel filter and based on what? All diesel powered things have a recommended filter replacement interval, i guess it's something like every other oil change for my car.

I remember replacing filters that were in the car for about 60,000 km and cutting them open, it was fairly clean and the car made all it's power. Other times i got a batch of crap at the pump or i did a poor job at filtering alternative fuels thinking it was clean enough and clogged two filters in a thousand km.

To me a set replacement interval for the fuel filter is a bit like a set interval for emptying the ashtray... Never if you don't smoke. However there's something more to it that makes me think i should change my fuel filters more often: water contamination.

I guess this type of spin on filter retains water at the bottom even without a visible sediment bowl. As i said i sometimes use a bit of alternative fuels that i filter and old fuel i collect and filter. I would like my IP and injectors to last a not ingest liquids that aren't fuel. Does that theory hold water? (pun intended)

I've done 10k on 7.3l but do 15k on the 6.0l now. They come out in good shape. It's really going to depend on your specific manual interval as a starting point. I do drain the water separator at 7.5k miles.

Quality of fuel may dictate but look at the “rough service “ interval in the owner’s manual. Probably could adjust from that recommendation if regular service intervals seem too long.

I go 10 to 12k miles in the warm months and 7.5k in winter. I have 2 filters on the rail and the OEM canister filter of which I keep a Baldwin PF7977 in that I change once a year.
The only time that I change the interval is if the filters gel up,in which case I would change all 3 filters.
Larry

I was changing the fuel filters on my 6.7 Powerstroke every 5k. Then I mentioned this to a buddy who is a diesel mechanic and he asked me why. I said "because it's easy to remember". He said to cut the filter open next time and see what it looks like and that I should try for 10k instead. I did this and he was right, at 5k the filter still looked really good inside and now at 10k it looks like it's about time to be replaced. So that's what I've been doing. Granted, no real research done. Just going off of the way the filter media looks.

I did my first filter change at 50k/3.5 years (slightly over recommended mileage) and the second about 60k (4 years) after that. Neither filter gave me any issues, but my mechanic experience tells me a loaded filter that works fine in summer can cause issues in the cold. So both were changed before winter truly set in.

I used to do the fuel filter in my '18 and '21 Duramax about every 10k miles, because I thought it was necessary, as the filters turn blackish. I let the filter go to 15k a couple times and found out the world didn't blow up. Now I change when the DIC shows the filters is at or near 0%, usually about 15k miles. I've posted many pictures of the filters here.

I was changing the fuel filters on my 6.7 Powerstroke every 5k. Then I mentioned this to a buddy who is a diesel mechanic and he asked me why. I said "because it's easy to remember". He said to cut the filter open next time and see what it looks like and that I should try for 10k instead. I did this and he was right, at 5k the filter still looked really good inside and now at 10k it looks like it's about time to be replaced. So that's what I've been doing. Granted, no real research done. Just going off of the way the filter media looks.
Same when I worked at the construction company. The equipment get filters every 250 hrs if not sooner but those fuel tanks were full of dust and plugged filters fast

20-30k seems to be on the low end of what most cars recommend, so I'd go with that interval if it's shorter than the factory one

It really depends on quality of local fuel.

For most diesel pickups every other or every third oil change.

Certainly some of it can be based upon cost of the filter and ease of access. On our '08 LMM I installed the "door" in the inner fender and stock up during the semi-annual Wix sales at ~$28 rather than $50+

For 6.7 CTDs I grab the Fleetgards when cheap on Amazon (they fluctuate quite a bit)

Annually for me. Honesty it really depends on your fuel system. Common rails with pumps sensitive to outside contamination, definitely more often. HEUI injectors I would be less concerned with. No expensive pump failures that take everything out with it

When I had my 6.7 SuperDuty I started with 10k miles, then went to 12k, then 15k was where I kept it. I did go to 18k once as this was a pure road (and 99% highway) truck and I couldn't get an appointment anywhere in advance.

Depends on the vehicle IMHO

The filter on my X351 Jag was easy to access and not overly expensive so I changed it every at around 30k

The one on my W222 S350d was massive and cost the thick end of £100 and was located inside the V of the engine, it was hidden under plastic fuel pipes which would get brittle and crack when you moved them.

The interval was quite long aswell.

I changed it once at just once in my ownership at the recommended Mercedes interval.

When I ran a Pug 405 diesel XUD 1.9td back in the 90’s the fuel filter was a couple of quid and you could change it in 5 mins so I did it every 12k

The fuel quality to have access to is also an issue

In Ghana I change the fuel and air filters every 10k and oil and oil filter every 5k

2012 Ram CTD here and the recommendation is 15K miles or annually. I usually do 10K miles on the Throttle up kit I added to my truck and 20K on the under hood OEM filter. I have cut several open and they look good.

FWIW, a big factor is your source for diesel and if it is a high volume station. Bio-diesel can also be a factor because it is a very good cleaner in tanks and lines.

Just my $0.02

When i had my 05 Ram Cummins. I changed it twice a year. Once in spring and in the fall.Zero issues in 13yrs and 130,000miles

Back