topping off edge gold with edge black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously I know I can without problems.

Just curious on the fact of topping off an extended performance oil with a non extended performance oil. I realize both are good, but for UOA reasons I'd like to keep all ep oil, but I've got a quart of edge black and nowhere else to put it.

Just pontificating.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meborder

Just curious on the fact of topping off an extended performance oil with a non extended performance oil. I realize both are good, but for UOA reasons I'd like to keep all ep oil, but I've got a quart of edge black and nowhere else to put it.

Just pontificating.
Thoughts?
You get less "extended performance".

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: meborder

Just pontificating.
Thoughts?
You get less "extended performance".

They could call it "Reduced Performance"
grin.gif

I wouldn't top off until it was a qt low. I've had many cars that would lose a 1/2 qt in a week and then be fine for 3 k miles when I changed it.
grin2.gif

I'd put it in as long as both are full syn oils. I wouldn't top off unless it needed a half quart or more.

The chemistry is probably very similar. The EP version will just have a slightly more robust additive package. The are both likely the same basestock and the same type of additives, except the gold has a small amount of TI I believe.

Well, the issue resolved itself this morning.

I checked it and the level was at or below the bottom of the hash marks so I added a half quart. Not sure of the exact level because the lot wasn't level, and it was after tow cold start-stops. So I just added a half quart to be sure it was in the safe but not over.

I never add until it gets to the bottom of the has marks, which is one full quart to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back