Tire Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girlfriend's 2007 Accord has the following tire situation -

LF and RF tires - fairly new pair of Michelin Premier A/S
LR - Michelin Primacy MXV4 with 8/32" remaining
RR - original Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 with 4/32" and horrific cracks on every square inch.

The size is 205/60-16.

Michelin has discontinued the Primacy MXV4 and replaced it with the Premier A/S.

I see three options:

1) Find a used a Primacy MXV4 to put in the R/R position ($75-$100). But I'm really not a fan of used tires and the tire's past life is always a question mark.
2) Buy one new Premier A/S for the right-rear position ($168)
3) Buy two new Premier A/S for the rear, and trade in the left-rear tire for credit. ($275-$300)

What would you guys do?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
How well do you like this girlfriend?

Well, but at the same time, my current car parts budget isn't what it used to be for the same reasons.

I'm leaning towards option #2 at the moment but the intentional tire mismatch on the same axle...makes me head hurt.

I hate mismatched tires, but I wouldn't want to go with option #3, too much money wasted. If you can do option #1 for $75, I'd definitely do that. I found a nice used spare tire for my Suburban for $45 installed at Discount Tire 2 falls ago. It was a 1/2 worn Michelin that matched my other ones, got lucky finding that model, but the price was right.

Two new Premier A/S for the rear, and use the Primacy as a spare or (if you can tolerate the donut), for credit.

I wouldn't spend $75-100 on a used tire when a new one can be had for a similar price, or slightly more for the Michelin.

You should be able to get a decent used tire on the RR for $45-50 and than can replace both rear tires in 15k-20k miles as a pair.

FYI, I ran mismatched used tires on my cars when I was in high school because money was tight. My local tire store only charged $20 per tire installed. I just made sure to check the date stamps on the tires and inspect them beforehand for cracks and damage. Nothing wrong with a good used tire in my opinion.

Don't forget to check the junk yards too. I got a brand new rim and tire with under 5k miles on it once for $20. Guy wanted $100, but I said, "No one is ever going to come and buy this tire and rim. I'll give you $20." He said, "Your right. $20 it is."

I would go for option #2. She is already coping with a mismatch on the rear, and it is probably not a big deal. I am not a fan of used tires, either. When I was looking for one, they appeared overpriced installed, as compared to a new known quantity.

If money is that tight why Michelin? You could get 2 GY Viva for less than 1 Michelin. I like Michelin but not if money is an issue. Other tires work fine on cars everyday.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I hate mismatched tires.

+1000. I hateeee mismatched tires. My two back tires are going to wear out a few thousand miles before the fronts but I'm replacing all 4 at once. My OCD really hates mismatched things.

Regardless of what you do the important thing is that she has good rubber on the road and is safe.

Last edited:
You could just get a pair on craigslist or the junkyard. Just don't get anything with less than 9 or 8/32's worth of tread. While it's true you don't know the history of the tire, how much damage can really be done with only one or two 32's worth of wear? If the tire doesn't leak after mounting and there are no bubbles, I think you're good to go. I've done it before, not because I didn't have the money, but because I didn't feel like getting a new set when all I needed was one or two tires.

4) Keep running it down to 2/32 or the rainy season. The last bit of tread takes the longest to wear off, due to not squirming. An accord having a blowout is less dramatic than the pilgrims sailing the mayflower, when did we become such wimps?

The Queen of England drove a 2.5 ton ambulance for the war effort, for crying out loud.

Critic,

Since you're local, you might want to try your luck at RT Tire in Pacheco. I recently bought two almost new Conti ProContacts for a Golf I just sold and it was $113 for two OTD with mounting and balancing. Took 25 minutes ( on a Wednesday morning ) from the time I walked in until I drove away. It might be the luck of the draw but they did have some more than decent used tires on display.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
I would go for option #2. She is already coping with a mismatch on the rear, and it is probably not a big deal.

I'd do this too. Mismatched rubber on the rear of front wheel drive won't matter a bit.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
I would go for option #2. She is already coping with a mismatch on the rear, and it is probably not a big deal.

I'd do this too. Mismatched rubber on the rear of front wheel drive won't matter a bit.

Unlike the previous person, I do plan to rotate the tires at each service.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Critic,

Since you're local, you might want to try your luck at RT Tire in Pacheco. I recently bought two almost new Conti ProContacts for a Golf I just sold and it was $113 for two OTD with mounting and balancing. Took 25 minutes ( on a Wednesday morning ) from the time I walked in until I drove away. It might be the luck of the draw but they did have some more than decent used tires on display.

Thanks for the rec - I'll have to check them out next time.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
If money is that tight why Michelin? You could get 2 GY Viva for less than 1 Michelin. I like Michelin but not if money is an issue. Other tires work fine on cars everyday.

Money isn't tight, I'm just looking for the most cost-effective option that makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I like 2 brand new Yokohama tires.

???

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Make sure you get good rubbers for your GF.

lol.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back