Mobil 1 0w-40 vs German castrol 0w-40 vs rotella?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Now my question is though. My local Walmart and autozone sell 5qt jugs of German castrol 0w-40 but I need almost 7. They both individually sell quarts of 0w-30 German castrol. Could I mix the 5 quarts of regular and 2 of 0w-30?

You can. But you can also just buy two jugs of 0w-40 and have some left over for top ups and for the next oil change.

So I guess no rotella then lol. So I still cant seem to decide. There's people here who say castrol and others who say Mobil 1. Why is it so difficult! Lol. Thanks guys for the awesome responses though! If I was to post this on an audi forum or something they would just yell at me and tell me to search. You guys actually help! I guess it's going to come down to whatever I decide to pick off the shelf lol. I believe that at Walmart Mobil one and castrol were honestly the same price. So it won't really matter too much I guess. I haven't really seen many or any of at all of the uoa's for the castrol oil though.

There's people here who say castrol and others who say Mobil 1. Why is it so difficult!

Because it's personal preference, that's why. Same reason why some like Coke and others like Pepsi. Both of the above oils meet the same stringent mfg specs, so from that standpoint, they are equivalent. Toss a coin if you have to.

Quote:
I haven't really seen many or any of at all of the uoa's for the castrol oil though.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...GTI#Post3421248

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._Pr#Post3359283

Thank you guys so much for the help! I appreciate it greatly!

Like many said, M1 0W40 or GC 0W40. Both you can find in Wal Mart.
I used M1 0W40 with stellar UOA. Now using castrol 0W40 just for the sake of trying it. Once I am done with second OCI will do UOA so we can see how it did compare to my M1 UOA.

So I guess no rotella then lol. So I still cant seem to decide. There's people here who say castrol and others who say Mobil 1. Why is it so difficult! Lol. Thanks guys for the awesome responses though! If I was to post this on an audi forum or something they would just yell at me and tell me to search. You guys actually help! I guess it's going to come down to whatever I decide to pick off the shelf lol. I believe that at Walmart Mobil one and castrol were honestly the same price. So it won't really matter too much I guess. I haven't really seen many or any of at all of the uoa's for the castrol oil though.

Personally, I would stay away from Rotella. Only reason why some people run it here is Lower SAPS content, but they drive DI engines.
I would say castrol would do better in cold. M1 does not have stellar cold cranking considering it is 0W40. Then however, it has HTHS of 3.8cp which is what really matters for Turbo application (Castrol is 3.7cp).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: VR6OOM
Where did you find that?

It's a European PDS. Not sure it's the exact same product as we get here, but quite possible.

Made in same place just sent to US and repacked into US bottles.

Has to be below 10% for MB229.5 claims

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 No gas certifications

Has Rotella T6 yanked SM or has the API yanked Rotella T6's certification and we haven't heard about it?

Originally Posted By: Garak

Has Rotella T6 yanked SM or has the API yanked Rotella T6's certification and we haven't heard about it?

Nope.

Just some expert sharing their incorrect wisdom with us. I guess fact checking isn't high up on the priority list.

T6 is SM as always.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Nope.

Just some expert sharing their incorrect wisdom with us. I guess fact checking isn't high up on the priority list.

Cool story bro....

All manufacturer certifications are diesel. Yes it still has API SM. I guess in my mind, I like to see VAG, MB, BMW, etc. approvals.

All manufacturer certifications are diesel. Yes it still has API SM. I guess in my mind, I like to see VAG, MB, BMW, etc. approvals.

Yes, but the API certification still includes SM, and that is, indeed, a certification. You stated certifications, and not builder approvals. Plenty of HDEOs have gasoline certifications, but don't seek gasoline engine builder approvals for obvious reasons. Shell has approved products already, and there is no point in cannibalizing their sales, not to mention that the diesel approvals include ACEA E specifications, not A and B (or C) specifications, upon which European passenger car specifications are based. Well, there is a point, actually, since M1 0w-40, for instance, can be found everywhere, whereas the Shell equivalent cannot, yet Rotella is everywhere.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Originally Posted By: scurvy
For a 13 year old Audi 2.7 twin turbo, I would use Mobil 1 0w40. In my experience T6 5w40 will be fine, but its higher NOACK means you will have to top up the oil more frequently.

Any reason for using M1 in a turbo Audi other than "I would use it"?

Mobil 1 0w40 has a long history of excellent UOAs and user feedback from a wide base of nearly every single VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat & Porsche aside from PD diesels.

Like I said, Shell Rotella T6 would also work fine (on the same basis of Mobil 1 0w40) but you'll need to top it up more frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back