Extended Oil Change Interval shorter engine life

Status
Not open for further replies.
But but but how about all the extra wear that results from refilling the oil filter after a change. There are several seconds, like 10 to 15 where there is NO oil pressure. Then there is the rattling lifters.

Last edited:
You speak of two separate yet related issues. Neglect hurts engines that long term can lead to catastrophic failure. When reaching the catastrophic limit, the engine is generally unreliable and the entire vehicle is scrapped with a running engine. The only oil related item that will kill an engine is no oil.

The second separate yet related issue is that even maintenance lazy owners change their oil at some point. These same owners have no idea that the vehicle even has other fluids that need to be changed and other critical items that need repair or replace. This will lead to other expensive repair issues where the car is scrapped with a running engine.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Neglect kills engines.

Long OCI's can give maintenance lazy owners an excuse to neglect their vehicles.

+1
You're right in ascerting that the only oil related item that will outright kill an engine is a complete lack of oil.
Engines don't wear out due to extended OCIs.
Change the oil half as often as the manufacturer recommends and you may or may not end up with a noisy oil burner, but you'll still have a running engine after 200K or so.
Multiple threads have demonstrated that recommended OCIs are pretty conservative and could be extended significantly without any ill effects.
To posit that 3K OCIs would double the life of an engine is absurd.
This is the type of nonsense I believed when I was young and ignorant.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
But but but how about all the extra wear that results from refilling the oil filter after a change. There are several seconds, like 10 to 15 where there is NO oil pressure. Then there is the rattling lifters.

Unless you fill the filter with oil before installing. I realize that with some engines, you cannot fill the filter completely because of the angle of installation. But many filters can be filled completely.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
"a few extra oil changes are cheap insurance"

I like this part of your post the best. In general, I thought the article made good sense. I try to keep my vehicles as long as possible. I want the engines running like new long after the warranty expires. Balanced against the cost of vehicles today, it makes no sense to me to try to squeeze every last ounce of useful life out of an oil change.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
"a few extra oil changes are cheap insurance"

I like this part of your post the best. In general, I thought the article made good sense. I try to keep my vehicles as long as possible. I want the engines running like new long after the warranty expires. Balanced against the cost of vehicles today, it makes no sense to me to try to squeeze every last ounce of useful life out of an oil change.

No, it doesn't make sense to squeeze every last drop out of your oil's life. It also doesn't make sense to change your oil at 50% of the oil's life. 10 to 20% of the oil's life left makes sense. It's just preventive maintenance. It's not cheap insurance. Changing your oil at 50% of the oil's life doesn't get you any benefit. But it's your time/money. You can spend it as you wish.

So, if there's no real world testing for guidance then a few extra oil changes are cheap insurance.

But where do you draw the line? If 3K OCI is cheap insurance, then is 2K OCI an even better insurance for just a little more?

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr

This isn't a problem if you are using Castrol.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, if there's no real world testing for guidance then a few extra oil changes are cheap insurance.

But where do you draw the line? If 3K OCI is cheap insurance, then is 2K OCI an even better insurance for just a little more?

Sounds good! Be sure to use Kendall though. They're the 2k interval pros
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Cars already fall apart around the engine. What more does someone want?

Does that mean the engine is healthy?

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
I guess those guys havn't seen slalom44's 41k OCI and 313k on the engine.

He, like me, is running a bypass filtration setup, different story, the oil circulating in our engines will be cleaner than new oil.

Everyone keeps saying the car falls apart around the engine, well, that CAN be the case, or you can simply do your due diligence and MAINTAIN your car, inside and out! I see so many disgusting cars on the road it makes me sick, degrades society really, am I right! lol

I have not read the study but the conclusion most likely says "use our additives so that your engine would last longer"

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I have not read the study but the conclusion most likely says "use our additives so that your engine would last longer"

If it's that good, I'm not using as an additive, I'm filling the sump with the stuff and changing it every 2k!
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I have a Silverado with 340k miles on a 5k OCI with conventional that says otherwise. Heck the my old Volvo got a change nearly every 7k with conventional and I replace it with 289k.

I did 354K on a Ford truck with 1/2 the OCIs(10K) as you with M1 10-30. When sold the engine ran perfect, engine appeared very clean, no increase in oil use from day one until sold.

Last edited:
Absolutely does not. It's merely operational but the odds of it not being optimal, or at least above baseline, is good.

Originally Posted By: zpinch

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
Absolutely does not. It's merely operational but the odds of it not being optimal, or at least above baseline, is good.

Originally Posted By: zpinch

If it outlasts the car - and passes smog your point is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back