OCI for 2010 Traverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on 5000 miles since I changed the oil in the Traverse, near 105,000. Oil life is 63% on Mobil 1. With the dreaded timing chain problems I've heard of, do I let it go until it says to change, or just stick with 5,000?

Was yours eligible for the ECM update that revised the OLM calculations?

If not I would probably stay with 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Coming up on 5000 miles since I changed the oil in the Traverse, near 105,000. Oil life is 63% on Mobil 1. With the dreaded timing chain problems I've heard of, do I let it go until it says to change, or just stick with 5,000?

I know several that have all types of GM engines and all do at least 10K OCIs with M1 5-30.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

Are you going to keep this vehicle for a long time or will you get rid of it soon? That would be a determining factor in my books. If you are getting rid of this in a year then I would extend the OCI.

My cousin in law had the engine in her 2010 traverse replaced under warranty for oil consumption issues.

Regsards, JC.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Was yours eligible for the ECM update that revised the OLM calculations?

If not I would probably stay with 5,000 miles.

Good advice.

My friend has one of these. I maintain it for him. 10000 miles is too long for the engine from what I've seen.
Before I started maintain it they changed the oil via the oil life monitor using whatever mr lube had on special. The rocker arms had significant deposits on them. It took a few short runs with MMO to clean it up.
Now that it's spotless I've been changing the oil at 5000 miles with whatever syn is on sale. Still spotless.

Thanks. According to the Carfax I got with it, the revised PCM programming with the revised oil life monitor was applied. I bought it used in September just shy of 100,000, but I plan on keeping it a while. I guess there's certainly no harm in changing it at 5k. Much appreciated!

I almost bought a Traverse last year
But instead bought a Flex. Based on the reading I did on the Traverse I would always change at 5,000

It's cheap insurance to change it every 5K. Change it every 5K with Mobil 1 and sleep easy at night. The engine will stay clean. The GM 3.6L DI engine is very hard on oil from what I have heard. With Mobil 1 being so cheap at Walmart and Costco, there isn't a valid argument I would accept on why you would extend the OCI past 5K. Also, make sure to run a better oil filter as well like the Fram Ultra XG10575 oil filter. Walmart sells those cheap too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back