Pentastar 3.6 recommendations

All 3.6L owners should run a few UOAs starting at 50K to check for potassium. My oil cooler started leaking at 50K, but I did not see (or smell) evidence of it until 63K miles which coincided with a spike in potassium which continues to rise.

When I look back at the UOAs, I can see the potassium spike that was small (3PPM) was the start of the leak which only became worse over a short time.

The oil filter housing/cooler design that FCA has is one of the worst I have seen in many years. No o-ring support in the form of a machined boss in the block and plastic construction combined with higher operating temperatures and oil pressure is a perfect recipe for a guaranteed leak.

What a POS...

Top is that bolt. Thanks didn't even know about that one. 2nd is the galley under the cooler. Third is the cam galley oil plugs, these have been found loose in many of the 3.6 engines. Mine were about a half to a full turn. The bottom picture is where the O-Rings blew out between the heat exchanger and the oil filter body. I originally reused the factory heat exchanger so I replaced the whole package 2nd time around.
1000007658.jpg
1000006935.jpg
1000007444.jpg
1000006932.jpg

Back