Mobil 1 options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local store that carried my favorite Shell Full synthetic oil does not seem to sell it anymore so I am switching to Mobil 1. My SUV is a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder with 18,000 miles and I want to stay within the 7,500 mile max OCI for warranty matters. The 4.0 V6 calls for 5w30 and my original plan was to use standard M1 5w30 although now I am thinking about running the M1 0w30 EXt fuel economy as it gets down to -20F from time to time here in the winter. So am I better off running the standard M1 5w30 in the summer and switch to the M1 0w30 in the winter? Or just stick with the standard M1 5w30? Will the M1 0w30 give me better cold starting or is the standard M1 5w30 just fine for my use?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
So am I better off running the standard M1 5w30 in the summer and switch to the M1 0w30 in the winter?

That would be ideal but consult your owners manual for recommended viscosity as it looks like you are still under warranty.

Or just stick with the standard M1 5w30?

I would.

Will the M1 0w30 give me better cold starting or is the standard M1 5w30 just fine for my use?

0w30 will give better cold starting than 5w30 but as I said you may want to see if 0w30 is an acceptable viscosity for your Nissan.

Mobil claims the AFE versions of their oil meets all warranty requirements for 10w-30 and 5w-30 oils. I would run it year round if it's the same price.

Check the M1 site and see whether they recommend using AFE in this application.
0W-30 AFE is recommended for almost every API spec 5W-30 application.
This oil is intended as a drop-in replacement for 5W-30, just as the 0W-20 is intended to be the same for 5W-20 applications.
If Mobil recommends AFE 0W-30 for this engine, I'd use it all year long. It appears to be a better oil than vanilla M1 and it costs the same.
I'm sure that you're aware that there are also many other choices out there in a 5W-30 syn oil.

If you have a 7500 mile routine, there will be periods of overlap where you will have the 0W in the sump for a vast part of summer and 5W in the winter or vice-versa. So the real question is, do you use 5W or 0W year-round? The answer is the same as it's always been and always will be, personal preference.

The 0w oils are proven, exceptional oils. -20 is still 5W territory. It has to be stupid cold to benefit using an 0W.

This is all moot, however. You like Shell. I think you'd be happiest with PPPP. SOPUS product, a 5W with superior winter specs, excellent cleaner, and not too terribly wasteful for your interval.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
If you have a 7500 mile routine, there will be periods of overlap where you will have the 0W in the sump for a vast part of summer and 5W in the winter or vice-versa. So the real question is, do you use 5W or 0W year-round? The answer is the same as it's always been and always will be, personal preference.

The 0w oils are proven, exceptional oils. -20 is still 5W territory. It has to be stupid cold to benefit using an 0W.

This is all moot, however. You like Shell. I think you'd be happiest with PPPP. SOPUS product, a 5W with superior winter specs, excellent cleaner, and not too terribly wasteful for your interval.

Ive wondered this myself. How does the actual thickness/viscosity compare across M1 5w30, M1 0w30, and PPPP 5w30. Are they all so close it does not matter unless it is -30? I am somewhat partial to M1 flavors but have really beem enjoying the rebates and fuel discounts on PP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Check the M1 site and see whether they recommend using AFE in this application.
0W-30 AFE is recommended for almost every API spec 5W-30 application.
This oil is intended as a drop-in replacement for 5W-30, just as the 0W-20 is intended to be the same for 5W-20 applications.
If Mobil recommends AFE 0W-30 for this engine, I'd use it all year long. It appears to be a better oil than vanilla M1 and it costs the same.
I'm sure that you're aware that there are also many other choices out there in a 5W-30 syn oil.

+1

Many good points here and yes PPPP in the 5w30 is a real good option as well I may just go that way. I do like SOPUS products I have used there Formula Shell synthetic in several cars and trucks for several years now with real good success and the PPPP will prob be an upgrade over SOPUS entry level Shell oil so why not.

I'm not really a fan of switching viscosities back and forth on cars, I know that was the way of doing things in the old days, but nowadays with modern synthetics you can have one oil that does double duty and can handle cold starts and hot summer days.

Honestly, both choices here would do the trick, as 5w30 Mobil 1 can handle cold starts very well, and their 0w30 can handle hot summer weather very well too.

For me the choice was pretty easy. M1 5W20 and 5W30 are the same price [oil change specials or sale prices] as the 0W20 and 0W30. So I buy the 0W20 and 0w30, and run them all year. With one exception, I got a good deal on Havoline 5W30 synthetic, so that goes in my 00 Century.

My local store that carried my favorite Shell Full synthetic oil does not seem to sell it anymore so I am switching to Mobil 1. My SUV is a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder with 18,000 miles and I want to stay within the 7,500 mile max OCI for warranty matters. The 4.0 V6 calls for 5w30 and my original plan was to use standard M1 5w30 although now I am thinking about running the M1 0w30 EXt fuel economy as it gets down to -20F from time to time here in the winter. So am I better off running the standard M1 5w30 in the summer and switch to the M1 0w30 in the winter? Or just stick with the standard M1 5w30? Will the M1 0w30 give me better cold starting or is the standard M1 5w30 just fine for my use?

What type is spec'ed in the owner manual ? conventional correct ?

If the manual didn't specify synthetic then it is conventional, and there is no conventional 0W30.

Synthetic 0W30 can be used in place of conventional xW30 in most engines. There are few exceptions, one is Honda S2000 OM clearly states that synthetic can be used but must be same grade as conventional and it is 10W30. But this recommendation was written back in 2003-2004, so it may not be valid with modern oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back