question about mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
That's hot. Install an oil cooler and use the M1 15w-50.

+1 I used M1 15W-50 on my SBC 550hp race cars and it worked very well. 300F oil is higher than I'd like to see, but if it's just for a short duration you should be fine. Shoot for 270-280 oil for a greater margin of safety. And obviously let that turbo cool down a little before shut off. I also used M1 15W-50 in my BBC Suburban tow vehicle - it saw many starts below freezing with no problem - although I would let it warm a minute or two before putting it in gear.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
That's hot. Install an oil cooler and use the M1 15w-50.

Simple & elegant solution . Do it and you'll never have spend any more time worrying about oil temperatures.

Z

what an absurd question. Heck, they run M1 in Indy race cars right off the shelf. And you're worried about running it in a Volvo?

Yes I saw 306° and I went Googley eyed I thought the factory cooler would work a tad better than that. I will be installing a cooler & filling with 15w50 mobil or 5w50 castrol this weekend. I was leaning toward mobil 5w50 but it seems availability is scarce.

I'll have to look up the UOA, but I believe that Castrol sheared quickly.

15w-50 or 20w-50 until you get that temp down.

Originally Posted By: MorePowerWes
M1 15w50 is the answer. No need for 5w oil in your climate. Take advantage of the added shear resistance and ZDDP of the 15w50.

No matter how many different ways we are saying the same thing, I don't know if the OP is getting on board with the M-1 15w-50 recommendation.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back